An idea.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
People have proposed on here ideas of tearing down the Wardlaw center to build a "battery atlanta" type space for the flats. The Wardlaw center needs to stay because it houses GTAA spaces as well as suites. So... how about the Peter's parking deck? It's situated right next to Yellow Jacket alley and across from Callaway Plaza. You could tear it down entirely or build on top of it! Shops, entertainment, games, and other things can bring in fans who are casual about football to bobby dodd, while keeping the diehards happy because Bobby Dodd is not drastically changed.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
People have proposed on here ideas of tearing down the Wardlaw center to build a "battery atlanta" type space for the flats. The Wardlaw center needs to stay because it houses GTAA spaces as well as suites. So... how about the Peter's parking deck? It's situated right next to Yellow Jacket alley and across from Callaway Plaza. You could tear it down entirely or build on top of it! Shops, entertainment, games, and other things can bring in fans who are casual about football to bobby dodd, while keeping the diehards happy because Bobby Dodd is not drastically changed.
The will requires Peters to be used for recreation. If the property does not have a recreational purpose, then it returns to the family, by my understanding.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The property was donated with that caveat with the understanding that if the caveat went unfulfilled, then the family could have the property returned. That is why the various sports activities are included on the top decks at Peters.
When I was a freshman, it had basketball courts and a big concrete block wall on the side. A lot of the FB players played a game similar to racket ball but with paddles. Tennis courts on the end near Fowler. I played a lot of basketball on those courts.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
The property was donated with that caveat with the understanding that if the caveat went unfulfilled, then the family could have the property returned. That is why the various sports activities are included on the top decks at Peters.
i seem to remember they werent very happy with a parking deck being built on the land but since Tech put sports stuff on top of it, it met the intent

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Tech satisfied the letter of the bequest, but certainly not the intent.
Yeah, the story I heard when I was there was that the donation was for "green space" on campus. And that's why the top was painted green. A bit dodgy. I have no idea if that's the truth or not though.

If that is the logic being used then I guess you could build anything on there and just paint it green and it'd be just as compliant

slugboy

Staff member
Amongst other things, the bequest specified the sight lines—basically from one porch on one side of the street and from one porch on the other. If you notice the two “activity areas” above the parking deck, it’s not one solid deck all the way across. That’s because it would have blocked the sight lines. There’s a gap of a few feet between those two areas that is just enough for the sight lines to pass unobstructed.
Tech’s compliance with the donation is only by a matter of a few feet.
The intent was trees and green space—a small park. If the family is mad, it’s with justification.

slugboy

Staff member
I remember when it turned into Peter's Lake after one heavy rain. Honestly Tech should get behind this proposal, it would really open up campus and provide great areas for pre-game socializing. https://www.cbs46.com/2022/07/09/group-proposes-plan-top-midtown-atlanta-connector-with-green-space/
They hired a cheaper contractor, who dumped excess concrete and maybe some bricks down the drain at the end of the project. Drainage was subpar after that. Cars floated in heavy rains.
They fixed it later.

BleedingWhiteNGold

Georgia Tech Fan
Every master plan I’ve seen shows it being converted back to a park and green space. I lived in a fraternity that was adjacent to it and talked about it being converted to a park way back then. It’s been that way since I was enrolled over twenty years ago. I just checked the current master plan it shows a park and a pond. I may see it in my life time but I doubt it.