An idea to think about

MidtownJacket

Staff member
FWIW, I have a lot of contact with the USNA. I have a good Marine buddy who has worked there for years in a high position and we have sent several kids there from my school, both athletes and otherwise. I don't think I have ever heard more overwhelmingly uniform positive feedback about a coach from all parties (families, players, fans, and faculty) than I have heard about CPJ from the USNA community. It had to rip his heart out to leave that place.

With that said, the culture at NAVY is a bit different too. We have to take that into account. The sense of entitlement isn't there at all. The kids who go there are pretty special in that regard. Bottom line: If you accept responsibility and generally expect to have to earn things, you will love CPJ. If you feel you are entitled and everything should come easy, then you may not like him. Fortunately for us, we probably have more of the good kind at our fine institution.

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
That last paragraph may apply to fans as well as players, imo.

How so? You don't believe that a fan who buys season tickets has the right to expect more than .500 football over the past 4 years?
If that's the definition of entitlement, then by all means put me at the top of the list.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
How so? You don't believe that a fan who buys season tickets has the right to expect more than .500 football over the past 4 years?
If that's the definition of entitlement, then by all means put me at the top of the list.
When you buy a ticket, you are entitled to the entertainment value of your dollar. If the product on the field is competitive and has a fighting chance in each game, you're getting your money's worth, imo. If you're not entertained sufficiently, go spend your money on something else.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
When you buy a ticket, you are entitled to the entertainment value of your dollar. If the product on the field is competitive and has a fighting chance in each game, you're getting your money's worth, imo. If you're not entertained sufficiently, go spend your money on something else.

You and I will just have to disagree. When I put a couple of grand into season tickets and annual donations to a school, I'm afraid I'm going to form my own opinions about what I expect to receive for that money.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I don't think it is out of line to HOPE for WANT and BELIEVE we can be better. It is - in my humble opinion - more a question of setting realistic goals and expectations. I would agree that 7 wins is not and should not be the ceiling for us, but I also don't see annual 11 game+ seasons with rings as reasonable to expect either.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

On the bright side, we've been 19-10 at home and 19-14 ACC. Now as I've said in the past, I don't differ with people on expectations. So, no that was not my point.

tugdog235

Georgia Tech Fan
On the bright side, we've been 19-10 at home and 19-14 ACC. Now as I've said in the past, I don't differ with people on expectations. So, no that was not my point.
I can't help but imagine what could have been if we faced Clemson on the Flats this past year instead of their house twice in a row...

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Really hated playing at Clemson two years in a row, but now that it is over with I am glad we get them at home this year!

I sure hope I'm wrong but I really wonder how much of a chance we have against them. It just seems that they have reached the same level of talent gap between us that UGA enjoys.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I sure hope I'm wrong but I really wonder how much of a chance we have against them. It just seems that they have reached the same level of talent gap between us that UGA enjoys.

I agree with that last year...but this year I don't think it is as big of a gap. Really they are unproven on offense...that defensive line is going to be hell though.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with that last year...but this year I don't think it is as big of a gap. Really they are unproven on offense...that defensive line is going to be hell though.

I could make the same argument though about us being unproven on offense. I like the speed that JT brings to the QB position but I SERIOUSLY worry about how often he fumbles. I don't care what kind of potential he has; if he puts the ball on the ground quite a few times, then CPJ will play someone else. You can't win in any offense if you're turning the ball over regularly.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I could make the same argument though about us being unproven on offense. I like the speed that JT brings to the QB position but I SERIOUSLY worry about how often he fumbles. I don't care what kind of potential he has; if he puts the ball on the ground quite a few times, then CPJ will play someone else. You can't win in any offense if you're turning the ball over regularly.

I do think we are unproven on offense..I am just saying I do not see a big talent gap (similar to UGA) heading into the 2014 season on offense.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I do think we are unproven on offense..I am just saying I do not see a big talent gap (similar to UGA) heading into the 2014 season on offense.

You may be right. Losing Boyd & Sammy Watkins would hurt anyone's talent level. I just hope the Watson kid isn't as good as the Clemson people seem to think he is.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Really they haven't got to see too much from him yet, but I do think he's going to be good.

Gonna be interesting to see if he can take over for Stoudt at some point

I don't think Watson's all that great, tbh. Saw him play a few times. That system is designed to make him look like a star, and the area he played in in high school wasn't exactly the same area that Camden County plays in. I'll wait and see on Watson...

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
You may be right. Losing Boyd & Sammy Watkins would hurt anyone's talent level. I just hope the Watson kid isn't as good as the Clemson people seem to think he is.
He's the best HS QB I've seen. Granted it was only one game and he was a sophomore at the time.