Am i overly optimistic?

yjfan

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm thinking those first two games will not be so bad in the eyes of the committee in retrospec.
game 1 went in 4 overtimes without proper practice.
game 2 was two days later on tired legs against a mercer team thats still undefeated.

We made corrections ,and as long as we win the games we are supposed to- i think we'll be ok come march.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
We need Kentucky to get their **** together too. They’re not good right now. At all.
the FSU game is going to be a huge test. Win that on the road and I think we will rip a few wins off in a row and forget all about Mercer and State.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
FWIW I think you are being overly optimistic. We shouldn't lose to both GSU and Mercer - and regardless of how they end up I expect they will be considered sort of bad to moderately bad losses at dance card time. They won't be considered bottom of the barrel bad but it will be an issue if we are in the gray area of bubble land. We will need a couple of "good" wins to make up for these losses. Not end of the world but it did take away most of the wiggle room we had unless we are a lot better than I think we are.

Hope we are. :cool:

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
To give some context, let's assume both win their conferences.

Last year, the ETSU won the southern (Mercer) with an NET Ranking of 36
Last year Little Rock won the Sun Belt (State) with an NET ranking of 140

Neither of those would be considered bad losses even at home. Mercer would be Q2 and State would be Q3 based on those. Of course whether that is how they end up is another matter entirely.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I don't think you're being overly optimistic @yjfan but I rock my gold lensed glasses so may not be the best judge.

That said, I think this season is going to have some strange wins and loses as people deal with sickness. Our ability to distribute the ball and score from different spots (finally this is a thing we do and I LOVE IT) will enable us to weather missing one or two guys better than in previous years, that said we need Jose and Moses to both stay in bubbles all by themselves. Hopefully they have the most lonely few months of their lives as they wait for the vaccine :).

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
FWIW I think you are being overly optimistic. We shouldn't lose to both GSU and Mercer - and regardless of how they end up I expect they will be considered sort of bad to moderately bad losses at dance card time. They won't be considered bottom of the barrel bad but it will be an issue if we are in the gray area of bubble land. We will need a couple of "good" wins to make up for these losses. Not end of the world but it did take away most of the wiggle room we had unless we are a lot better than I think we are.

Hope we are. :cool:
I think it's worse this year since there's fewer OOC games, and likely we will have fewer games overall due to COVID cancellations.

Gonna really have to nail the conference record, 10-10 or 11-9 probably won't do it.

Deleted member 2897

I think it's worse this year since there's fewer OOC games, and likely we will have fewer games overall due to COVID cancellations.

Gonna really have to nail the conference record, 10-10 or 11-9 probably won't do it.

Unless Mercer and Georgia State go like 23-5, you’re right. 5-2 OOC plus a 12-8 in ACC play equals 17-10. That will give us an RPI and KenPom high enough to get in. 16-11 would likely work if the ACC plays/scores well this year, but it’s looking like an off year.

It just seems like yesterday the team was saying they’re in the NCAAT, now it only matters how high the seed. 💩