Already looking to next year

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
Who do you look forward to progressing or hasn't played yet? I hope Custis can be a playmaker we have missed since Dwyer an Allen. I hope Devine and Griffin get lots of playing time. I want to see Thomas on the field more, he has to much speed to play a series or two. DJ White and Gotsis impressed me this year and I think will be better. Golden returning will also be key. Losing Jemea and Attachou is going to hurt.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
I am basically excited about all of those guys you mentioned. Will also hurt losing Godhigh. He was our only consistent, clutch playmaker on O.

I am interested to see if our coaching staff changes at all in the off-season. I think the head man has one more season to show serious progress, but I wonder if any assistants will change?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Posted this on other thread but shoulda posted here.
We lack the 1-8 players and it showed.
Vad is maddeningly inconsistent...beautiful one play and horrid the next. Not nearly as poised as he needs to be play to play. Have been unimpressed with his ability to run the option...impressed at times with his throws but doesn't seen to grasp the offense as well as I'd expect at this point in his career. Maybe the light will turn on but I currently favor seeing more of JT. At least splitting time though I know that would hamper vad's further development.
We need SOMEONE to fill sneezy's vacancy (huge concern). Jemea and his heart are are big loss too but I think it far more likely someone can fill his shoes.
Bottom line right now...I think our offense will be at least as good next year but needs to be much better. I suspect the defense will regress without a rush end but it needs to improve further too.

Still a believer in CPJ, his scheme, and his play calling (though I'd like to see less gambling on our side of our own 30 yd line) we still need better talent and more play makers. I recognize that improvement needs to be made in next two years or doubt he remains.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
I forgot to mention Kallon. I hope another offseason with coach Roof and Pelton they can get him turned into the player he is projected to be.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm curious to see how Deandre Smelter improves with another year under his belt. Wanna see Griffin and Devine starting next year. I think next year will be the year Kallon finally shows why everybody wanted him

CornerBlitz

Jolly Good Fellow
Progression of the defense and depth on the line. Similar to this year, quarterback play will define our success.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Synjyn Days is on my short list of impact players for 2014. Milton, Harrell, Golden, Noble could all be surprise players next year.

yerjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
HAVE TO have better Oline play!!!!! There is nothing else. Blocking will be the thing. Block much better game gets much easier on the QBs and other skill guys. Just cannot be said loud enough. HAVE TO have better Oline play. Just don't see it coming. I hope I am wrong but 3 count em 3 guys were seniors this year. Still had trouble blocking well.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
We should be better due to who we play but how much better we really are depends on finding a runner and a more polished Vad.I hate a qb controversy but it may be time to start looking at Thomas to play.I still think Vad is great athlete who will get better but throwing off the back foot is not a great trait to have. We still will be okay on the o side if we get some studs in the middle and my hope is we get some folks ready to play as freshman on defense since we need them.We can be 8- or 7 win team with good play.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I don't know what everyone see in JT because I sure don't see anything. I would rather the kid move positions preferably aback.
Anyway I think Vad will be better in his sec year. The D shouod be more stout even without the pass rusher. The Oline will be bigger. This is the year for CPJ tho if he gonna do it nexg year is his chance.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
I said to my brother after we watched the game, I'm trying to look forward to next year and a fresh start but I just don't see much of an improvement...I really hope it isn't true but I see us going 5-7 next year and having our first losing season.

PJ to me looks defeated during games and during interviews now...the fire is gone that we saw when he first got here and it reflects in our players. There is an irritating feeling of we don't really give a crap attitude when we lose and that has been on this team from 2011 onto now. Just the vibe I get.

Our best opportunity to be successful next year on offense is put JT in the shotgun zone read and let him put some magic together. Give him more time to see the field out of the shotgun and let him control the game. Make Andrews the RB since he will be our best returning runner with the ball in his hands and let those 2 run the zone read. Occasionally run some short / intermediate quick throws to keep the d honest (NO HAILMARYS every pass play) if we can't check down on our own then make all the routes short.

Just dear god mix it up next year, this team is growing painful to watch.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think next year will look a lot like this year. I just don't see a lot of progress.

Go Jackets!

agreed, and next year i am not sure we win more than 6

paul does have scheme problems. You can't ask a BB to one on one block a DE over and over, yet we do. its not in the cards. That is a scheme issue. This is not picking up a blitzing LB. This is sliding the line and asking the BB to pick up the blindside DE. LOL WTF??? I have never seen that done over and over like we do. WOW.

CornerBlitz

Jolly Good Fellow
agreed, and next year i am not sure we win more than 6

paul does have scheme problems. You can't ask a BB to one on one block a DE over and over, yet we do. its not in the cards. That is a scheme issue. This is not picking up a blitzing LB. This is sliding the line and asking the BB to pick up the blindside DE. LOL WTF??? I have never seen that done over and over like we do. WOW.

This is a great point 33. All offenses have weaknesses and this is one. I think PJ is trying to go bigger on the OL. It seems as if we got manhandled against the better dlines.

Alexlongstride

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't know what everyone see in JT because I sure don't see anything. I would rather the kid move positions preferably aback.
Anyway I think Vad will be better in his sec year. The D shouod be more stout even without the pass rusher. The Oline will be bigger. This is the year for CPJ tho if he gonna do it nexg year is his chance.
That thought has crossed my mind a few times

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
I believe if Lee is still Qb with his indeciveness running the offense it will be the same. Now if Justin beats him out we could be better.

Agree with this. Watching the Navy game right before GT was a great opportunity to compare execution. Navy's plays develop much faster. Lee looks like he's in slow motion back there.
Special Teams was a vastly improved unit this year so they deserve some credit! Defense improved as well, but CHANGES NEED TO HAPPEN on the offensive and defensive lines. We can't keep getting pushed around up there.