Article Allen, Hunt-Days Impress in Spring Game

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
[FLOAT_LEFT][figcap]Video courtesy of ACC Digital Network[/figcap][/FLOAT_LEFT] ATLANTA, GA - In life you're not always presented with second chances. For Marcus Allen and Jabari Hunt-Days, a second chance is what they needed and received. Both took advantage Friday night during Georgia Tech's spring game and left indelible marks in the minds of Yellow Jacket fans going into the offseason.

Allen, a running back turned linebacker turned wide receiver turned running back again, rushed for a team-high 77 yards and caught multiple passes out of the backfield with ease. On any ordinary night in college football that stat-line would certainly not earn an ESPN helmet sticker nor much more than a pat on the back. However considering Allen's spring, one in which he took over Georgia Tech's feature back position after practicing there just 7 days, those statistics are far more impressive.

Reflecting on the past week Allen complimented his coaches and teammates. "Coach Cook and Justin [Thomas] and all those guys have really been helpful," said Allen. "I feel a lot more confident now especially after rotating from offense to defense back to offense. I've really learned a lot of football."

Magnifying the importance of Allen's performance was a reminder that Georgia Tech's backfield depth is razor thin heading into the offseason after losing both C.J. Leggett and Quaide Weimerskirch to injury. Following the spring game, head coach Paul Johnson confirmed Leggett tore his ACL and is unlikely to return this year.

Shining tonight on the other side of the ball was Jabari Hunt-Days, another familiar face and one that Tech fans missed last year. Hunt-Days' path back to the field is not yet a sure thing; he is still working as hard if not harder in the classroom after failing to stay eligible following his redshirt sophomore season. A former budding star at linebacker, Hunt-Days is now penciled in to start at defensive tackle and was a frequent visitor in the offensive backfield throughout the night tonight, much to quarterback Tim Byerly's chagrin.

KeShun Freeman had nothing but positive praise for Hunt-Days' and fellow teammate Adam Gotsis' impact this spring. "Adam [Gotsis] and Jabari are seniors and they've brought so much energy to the table and so much motivation. Having those two guys lead us has just encouraged everyone to go harder."

The best news of the night? No serious injuries, according to coach Johnson. As the Jackets depart for the offseason many players now have the opportunity to heal up, rest up, and get their bodies ready for one of the most anticipated football seasons in a long time on The Flats.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Good observations Cuse. Some other guys that caught my eye where Byerly (he is got to be the best back up QB in America can run and throw), Erin Joe and Trey Klock did well at Tackle, Brigham did well at Center, Lynch and Searcy showed some ability. The first team offense out played the first team defense which suprised me based of the feedback coming out of camp. It was a good thing JT saw limited reps and was down by finger contact or the score would have been much higher for the White team. JT is a superstar type player and if he stays healthy will be a Heisman candidate for sure.

On the defensive side I thought Kallon and Gamble showed up in additon to Days. The linebackers looked deep even though we had some of our best on the sideline, Harrell, Lewis, Jackson and Alford all made plays. The defensive ends looked strong, Freeman, Whitehead, Merriweather and Simmons all were showing up out there. The secondary seemed a bit off last night. Their coverage was spotty and their tackling was not stellar. I think Coach Speed and Coach Roof will have some good tape to work with the corners and safeties ths off season.

I thought it was a very positive night for the program. Fairly good fan participation considering the rain. A lot of recruits in attendance and the team showed up and played hard. The most pleasent surprise for me was Marcus Allen, he ran like the older Marcus Allen last night. I think the offense took a little of the p and vinegar out of the defense and they probably needed a little humbling based on what I had been hearing. The Offensive line has enough players when everyone is well to be very good, both our QB's are fabulous, our receivers are getting open and catching a majority of the passes and we have enough running backs to move the ball well. I think the Defensive line will be better, especially if Jabari makes it. Our linebackers will be tough and deep, and our secondary can be good if they communicate better and play with some grit.

There is no reason we should not have another very good season in 2015.

Go Jackets!