All Time GT Team

Techster

Helluva Engineer
One guy people often forget about is Omoregie Uzzi. Three time All ACC, and one of the most decorated players, not just OL, in GT history. Had it not been for bad knees he's probably in the NFL right now. He was just recently named to Sports Illustrated's ACC All Decade team, the only GT player named to it.

Shawn Jones is the OG Russell Wilson. He was Russell Wilson before the world knew how to appreciate a player like Russell Wilson. Tony Dungy once commented that Shawn Jones was one of the best QB prospects that never got a shot to play QB in the NFL. I'm not sure GT fans fully appreciate how good Jones was.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
One guy people often forget about is Omoregie Uzzi. Three time All ACC, and one of the most decorated players, not just OL, in GT history. Had it not been for bad knees he's probably in the NFL right now. He was just recently named to Sports Illustrated's ACC All Decade team, the only GT player named to it.

Shawn Jones is the OG Russell Wilson. He was Russell Wilson before the world knew how to appreciate a player like Russell Wilson. Tony Dungy once commented that Shawn Jones was one of the best QB prospects that never got a shot to play QB in the NFL. I'm not sure GT fans fully appreciate how good Jones was.
I’m a younger alumni and wasn’t born until a month after the citrus bowl win. But having watched a couple of 1990 games on YouTube - I can’t understand why nfl teams didn’t take a look at him as a QB. He had a rocket arm, smooth in the pocket, and ive never seen a better play action QB than him. I just enjoy watching him. There are certain players you enjoy watching just because they are so good at their style of play / forte.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
. I'm not sure GT fans fully appreciate how good Jones was.

I'm not sure....I just went back and looked at 1/2 of the first page in this thread. Shawn's name is mentioned quit a bit. I think you could flip a coin between Joe H. and Shawn as the difference between them is razor thin. Shawn had the advantage of having quality all around him (hence a NC ring) whereas Joe had to carry more of the perceived load because of the lack of D on his squad. I started watching Tech FB in the mid-70's so I don't know about the young left hander or others prior to that time but the conversation of best all time since then starts and ends with these two guys. I loved Dewberry,Goose, JT, Josh N, Tevin et al. but they are not in the league of these two guys. I think those who aren't talking about Shawn might be of the generation who didn't get to see him live.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I’m a younger alumni and wasn’t born until a month after the citrus bowl win. But having watched a couple of 1990 games on YouTube - I can’t understand why nfl teams didn’t take a look at him as a QB. He had a rocket arm, smooth in the pocket, and ive never seen a better play action QB than him. I just enjoy watching him. There are certain players you enjoy watching just because they are so good at their style of play / forte.
6-1, 200 lbs that’s why. NFL Teams are not creative.

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not sure....I just went back and looked at 1/2 of the first page in this thread. Shawn's name is mentioned quit a bit. I think you could flip a coin between Joe H. and Shawn as the difference between them is razor thin. Shawn had the advantage of having quality all around him (hence a NC ring) whereas Joe had to carry more of the perceived load because of the lack of D on his squad. I started watching Tech FB in the mid-70's so I don't know about the young left hander or others prior to that time but the conversation of best all time since then starts and ends with these two guys. I loved Dewberry,Goose, JT, Josh N, Tevin et al. but they are not in the league of these two guys. I think those who aren't talking about Shawn might be of the generation who didn't get to see him live.
1985 Dewberry had best QB season at GT ..."Carrying" an otherwise average team to 9 wins.....Josh deserves much more love as he was GT warrior and my fav...Goose was most fun to watch, because it was as if your clutzy little bro beat up the neighborhood bullies...

Jolly Good Fellow
It is Shawn....Joe Hamilton was better QB but Shawn won NC...