All-ACC Awards 2021-22

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Mike Devoe gets 3rd team All-ACC! Well deserved because our win count is a lot lower without him carrying us, especially in that early part of the season before the underclassmen developed.

Ush got robbed of an honorable mention IMO. He put together a great season but I am guessing journalists/voters just haven't really seen much of him. That's the way it goes when you're buried at the bottom of the standings I guess. Bummed for him.

Full awards list here: https://theacc.com/news/2022/3/6/athlete-awards-acc-unveils-2021-22-mens-basketball-awards.aspx

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Not just you. I thought Devoe would be second team (3rd leading scorer) and Usher 3rd.

Yeah that kid deserved a better fate all the way around.

@HenryUsher please let him know his efforts are recognized and appreciated by the folks paying attention. Sadly the voters and media folk have to pander to certain North Carolina-based schools, but I digress. Sincerely hope he enjoyed his time on the Flats.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
I know I’m just a dad and biased. But damn
Well I’m counting on winning the tournament with Jordan and Mike as co-MVP’s. Love Jordan telling the players to not get on the bus unless they packed enough clothes to last through Sunday.

1646672039339.jpeg

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
If you look at the list of All-ACC voters and consider GT's contingent of voters as a representative example, then my personal conclusion is that 50% of the voters at best actually know basketball. I am no savant, but firsthand experience gives me the unwavering confidence to make that statement.

Following a team does not make one a good voter. In fact you could argue that following one team makes you a bad voter. No doubt that headlines, buzzwords, and ESPN highlights are more influential than they should be.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Ush was 17th in the ACC in scoring, 15th in rebounding, 24th in assists, 14th in steals. He was the jack of all trades, master of none type of player in terms of impact and did so much more that didn't show up in the stat book. Unfortunately that type of player on a bottom team isn't going to get the recognition he deserves. If we were a top 5 team in conference like last year, he's 3rd team all conference. This year though, we aren't. So he isn't. I'm surprised he got absolutely no votes at all and would have expected HM, but I also am not sure if I was being unbiased I could justify putting him on it if I had a chance. Unfortunately, there are only 15 spots and 15 teams.

Regardless dude is an absolute joy to watch and have loved to see his progression. Great player who I think will have a lasting impact on the younger guys on this team who will hopefully go on to do great things himself.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'm surprised he got absolutely no votes at all and would have expected HM, but I also am not sure if I was being unbiased I could justify putting him on it if I had a chance. Unfortunately, there are only 15 spots and 15 teams.
I assume and couldn't easily verify that 'Honorable Mention' requires a certain threshold of points. The lowest HM point-getter, Reece Beekman, tallied 15 points, meaning he got at least 5 votes from the voters and more likely many more than that (say, 10-15 votes based on point methodology*). There must be players who got a few to a handful of 3rd team votes, but that'd only earn them 5 points or less.

*Note: All-ACC Team points are determined on a 5-3-1 system (five points for first team, three points for second team, one point for third team).