Alcorn State Game Special Teams

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here's the Special Team plays from last week:
7io2bnaibzwp8m56g.jpg

• So overall, I think the ST did pretty good against a weak opponent. Maybe a B or B- depending on how much I think about the missed EP or bobbled punts.
  • We don't know a lot given the strength of the opponent and lack of FG attempts or important punts.
  • What we do know is that Butker can kick the crap out of the ball. 11 KO attempts. 8 for Touch Backs and the other 3 were 65 yards and none returned past the 19. Butker can do that in any game any time. It appears he is stronger this year as expected. And note that none were out-of-bounds.
  • Our KO and punt return was mixed. Golden had a nice punt return. But two punt returns were bobbled. I thought I heard it was TaQuon (true Fr) and someone else who bobbled but the stat sheet makes me think TaQuon bobbled / fumbled both.
  • The Extra Point miss was on the holder / snapper. I didn't see game (only listened) and heard it was a bad but manageable snap that wasn't handled. Obviously more than enough blame to go around. But not Butker's fault.
  • After the fourth game of the season, we should start getting ST stats comparing all D1 teams. Till then, we'll just see. Here's the link to last year's MSU game and summary. https://gtswarm.com/threads/gt-special-teams-versus-msu.5864/#post-167366
  • I can't wait for my season opener to watch against 2Lane this weekend. Since 21% of the plays in the game were ST this is a very important phase of the game.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Seats behind GT bench.
After 3 TB I started giving Butt Kicker ( after the kick at Uga) a standing o as he came the field after KO?

Not a big deal till we get into schedule - then very big!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I went back and watched the game. The missed EP was mostly due to the LS putting the ball at or slightly above the holders head rather than chest high. Sometimes the holder can get it down but not this time. 9 of 10 EPs were good, but this is the case where the LS is noticed after obscurity.

Not getting an EP is really bad ... last year 42 teams got every EP for the year and 28 teams only missed one all year. Hopefully we'll be in the second category.

Thanks for doing these Nuke.

You can attribute the second bobbled punt to Qua Searcy.

Thanks, it was TaQuon who was listed in the play by play but from listening I remembered it as someone different. CPJ commented on the two bobbles after the game.

Why would a 5 yard return to the 37 on the opening kickoff only rate a B?

Partly because I didn't see the game and only listened to it. (Awful experience.) I watched the first half and agree it is probably a B+ since it was a surprise play and well fielded by someone (Brant Mitchell) who didn't expect to return it and fielded in a lot of traffic. It can't be an A since there is a lot of room for improvement with 63 more yards to a TD ...... you know about the curve :rolleyes: I really like the play since you can't fair catch a kick off and there should be a higher likelihood of generating a turnover.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
After watching the first half, I think overall is a B- since the punt return blocking was never very good. The one long Golden punt return was set up by him dodging 4 or so tackles with two right after he received the ball. Just an area to improve. Give Golden a clearer field and watch the highlights afterward!

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Here's the Special Team plays from last week:
7io2bnaibzwp8m56g.jpg

• So overall, I think the ST did pretty good against a weak opponent. Maybe a B or B- depending on how much I think about the missed EP or bobbled punts.
  • We don't know a lot given the strength of the opponent and lack of FG attempts or important punts.
  • What we do know is that Butker can kick the crap out of the ball. 11 KO attempts. 8 for Touch Backs and the other 3 were 65 yards and none returned past the 19. Butker can do that in any game any time. It appears he is stronger this year as expected. And note that none were out-of-bounds.
  • Our KO and punt return was mixed. Golden had a nice punt return. But two punt returns were bobbled. I thought I heard it was TaQuon (true Fr) and someone else who bobbled but the stat sheet makes me think TaQuon bobbled / fumbled both.
  • The Extra Point miss was on the holder / snapper. I didn't see game (only listened) and heard it was a bad but manageable snap that wasn't handled. Obviously more than enough blame to go around. But not Butker's fault.
  • After the fourth game of the season, we should start getting ST stats comparing all D1 teams. Till then, we'll just see. Here's the link to last year's MSU game and summary. https://gtswarm.com/threads/gt-special-teams-versus-msu.5864/#post-167366
  • I can't wait for my season opener to watch against 2Lane this weekend. Since 21% of the plays in the game were ST this is a very important phase of the game.
Why didn't you give grades for lines 9, 15 & 20?

Line 23. Not only did Golden only return the KO to the 18, the reason he did so is because he dropped the kick and then again trying to pick it up.

BBK

Jolly Good Fellow
I went back and watched the game. The missed EP was mostly due to the LS putting the ball at or slightly above the holders head rather than chest high. Sometimes the holder can get it down but not this time. 9 of 10 EPs were good, but this is the case where the LS is noticed after obscurity.

Not getting an EP is really bad ... last year 42 teams got every EP for the year and 28 teams only missed one all year. Hopefully we'll be in the second category.

Thanks, it was TaQuon who was listed in the play by play but from listening I remembered it as someone different. CPJ commented on the two bobbles after the game.

Partly because I didn't see the game and only listened to it. (Awful experience.) I watched the first half and agree it is probably a B+ since it was a surprise play and well fielded by someone (Brant Mitchell) who didn't expect to return it and fielded in a lot of traffic. It can't be an A since there is a lot of room for improvement with 63 more yards to a TD ...... you know about the curve :rolleyes: I really like the play since you can't fair catch a kick off and there should be a higher likelihood of generating a turnover.
I think you can. Or did you mean ideally you don't want to?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think you can. Or did you mean ideally you don't want to?

I didn't think fair catching a kick off is an allowed play. You can down it or it can go out of bounds, but otherwise, it's live. It's part of why for on sides kicks you can rape the receiving team before the ball gets to them (on a bounce kick).

Others can (and will) correct me if need be. It's just my understanding of college rules.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Why didn't you give grades for lines 9, 15 & 20?

Line 23. Not only did Golden only return the KO to the 18, the reason he did so is because he dropped the kick and then again trying to pick it up.

Thanks. I didn't watch the game so I didn't really know what happened on the plays. Next week I'll put in "C" for a standard fair catch. Golden dropping the ball would have been the third bobbled punt / KO of the game. Really unsat for returns.