Alabama A&M Pre-game Thread

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Say what you will about BG's offense, even if ineffective at times, we looked a lot smoother the past two nights. I'm not saying we looked great or will be able to facilitate well against better teams, but we definitely looked better with passing, ball screens, taking the smartest shot.

Bingo!! I think that the offense has been more fluid in these last two games than any time that I can remember under BG. Finally, we have guards that can penetrate and dish (Jorgensen & Heath) or get to the line (Tadric) and make his free-throws. Last year, our guard play really hurt us. To me, our ability to get into the lane and create or get to the line, has been one of the biggest things that has been missing.

He's beginning to get a little love, but it looks like the addition of Josh Heath will be huge. He is damn good point guard. If I looked at the numbers correctly (someone feel free to check my math), he has an 11/1 assist-to-turnover ratio. Is that good?

With the addition of Heath, Tadric, and the return of Jorgensen, we have received an instant upgrade in ball-handling and guard play in general IMO. All three bring good floor games, and I look for Tadric to establish himself offensively as he gets a little more confident. All in all, I think that the result has been pretty clear. While it still a very small sample size, I agree that the entire offense has looked better this year.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
He's beginning to get a little love, but it looks like the addition of Josh Heath will be huge. He is damn good point guard. If I looked at the numbers correctly (someone feel free to check my math), he has an 11/1 assist-to-turnover ratio. Is that good?

With the addition of Heath, Tadric, and the return of Jorgensen, we have received an instant upgrade in ball-handling and guard play in general IMO. All three bring good floor games, and I look for Tadric to establish himself offensively as he gets a little more confident. All in all, I think that the result has been pretty clear. While it still a very small sample size, I agree that the entire offense has looked better this year.

Normally yes, but we are GT fans, so..............fair to midland. :)

Please take into account who we are playing. Yes, UGA is a decent win in theory. Alabama A&M is 32-59 out of the SWAC (not even a mid major, that's low baby) in the last 4 years. Josh Heath in particular has played well to this point, indeed, but there is a difference between playing like that against 2 guys you have never heard of and Quin Cook, Marcus Paige, Anthony Barber, Chris Jones, Cody Miller-Mac and Logan Perrantes. Im seeing things and tendencies (other than free throw shooting, though that's a major concern) that really cause me concern when we move up in competition. Even on the defensive end, which I thought would be a point of strength with this team. Tadric will get better with each game, of that I have no doubt, but he is flat footed a lot on D. MGH has to be a scorer and a facilitator for us, IMHO we need to get him on the block more often. He can pass out of the double team well and if left one on one he is usually stronger than opposing 2's and 3's.

We as a fan base seem to do this every year, we come out and play gimmes and get amped and then stuff falls apart in the conference season. The UGA win was awesome, jumped out early, avoided the lull, didn't fold when it got to single digits late. The AAM was less impressive. But Travis wasn't on the floor. He needs to be on the floor if we are going to have a chance against Dayton, and even Marquette and Northwestern.

We look better no doubt, but there is still a long way to go.

Just my opinion, I may be wrong, certainly have been before.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
@Peacone36 -- I like that phrase, "avoided the lull." To me, that's the thing that's jumped out as potentially different this year. The drop-off in momentum without our starting PG doesn't look like it will be that drastic.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@Peacone36 -- I like that phrase, "avoided the lull." To me, that's the thing that's jumped out as potentially different this year. The drop-off in momentum without our starting PG doesn't look like it will be that drastic.
Great point. Hadn't even thought about that. Don't want to jinx it, but it felt like we didn't have one of those 5 minute periods of not scoring.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Trust me, I know exactly what you are saying, but believe me, I'm not setting up for the parade or anything. I am fully aware of the schedule to date, and I still have the same approach that I did prior to the season.. I felt good about the team, but I wanted to would wait and see how the pieces came together. So far, I like what I am seeing, but recognize there is a long ways to go.

In the IPFW pregame thread, I mentioned that I was glad to see them have a tougher test prior to Marquette. We need to see some adversity and how we respond. You're also correct in that we need to tighten up the D. I don't think that we have been terrible, but the perimeter defense has to improve for us to excel. Our goal coming into the year was to "out-physical" our opponents, and so far, we have been able to do that, but there will come a time where it comes down to execution and our ability to get stops.