AL HS coach fired for criticizing AL

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
So, we would not have a problem if some, say HS BB, coach did not want his players coming to GT and would not let us on their campus?

I do not think a HS coach should have the power to do that.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
So, we would not have a problem if some, say HS BB, coach did not want his players coming to GT and would not let us on their campus?

I do not think a HS coach should have the power to do that.
Tennessee high school head coaches did this to Derek Dooley when he coached at Tennessee. He told the head coaches that they would have to get his permission to visit the campus with the players that Tennessee had interest in. The high school coaches got very p*ssed off and didn't invite Derek Dooley to look at perspective signees. It took a lot of work by Butch Jones to fix relations between the Tennessee high school football coaches and the University of Tennessee.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If no skeletons, hire this guy as a temporary recruiting coordinator in Shreveport.

There is great football talent in NW la and NE Texas.
His team only lost a few games and one was against the pro HS in the area.
They played and beat lufkin which is 80 miles north of Houston.

"We are in Atlanta so Why an outpost in Shreveport.?? "
Answer : because everyone else comes through ATL to get to rest of ga - how many power 5 schools are less than 4 hour drive from Atlanta - a bunch!
Within same distance of shrevport = 0. I was suprised that u of ark is almost 5 hr drive!
We could pay him 1/2 his salary , gsu 3/10 his salary, ga state 2/10 . They can have all player on offense and defensive back and lb. WE ARE DESPERATE FOR A DT or DE that will start day one and go pro After 3 years.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
My first thought is he must have been losing football games. We really don't know the whole story but we all know that Alabama is not the most principled program when it comes to recruiting. Then again you don't get the number one class seven years in a row by being principled. The high school coach was probably just worried about having someone who would treat his kids right.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Apparently his unreported -- in this link anyway -- issue is that they offered a scholarship and then rescinded it at the last minute, claiming it wasn't an offer for a free ride but an offer to come into summer camp and compete for a scholarship. That was directly from the Alabama booster blog. I surely thought that was illegal. Does it depend on who does it or am I just hallucinating about the good intentions of the NCAA again?

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Apparently his unreported -- in this link anyway -- issue is that they offered a scholarship and then rescinded it at the last minute, claiming it wasn't an offer for a free ride but an offer to come into summer camp and compete for a scholarship. That was directly from the Alabama booster blog. I surely thought that was illegal. Does it depend on who does it or am I just hallucinating about the good intentions of the NCAA again?
not illegal. The actual offer isn't made until the school sends the LOI to the kid and they don't do that till right before signing day.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
not illegal. The actual offer isn't made until the school sends the LOI to the kid and they don't do that till right before signing day.
Wow. This sounds to me an awful much like Dodd supposedly objected to with Alabama and the SEC 60 years ago or whenever: in essence oversigning and then cutting. Oh, well. Maybe there is something to this tough love business. Profit, anyway,

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Wow. This sounds to me an awful much like Dodd supposedly objected to with Alabama and the SEC 60 years ago or whenever: in essence oversigning and then cutting. Oh, well. Maybe there is something to this tough love business. Profit, anyway,
Yeah Bobby Dodd didn't think GT could compete with Alabama,Auburn,Tennessee and LSU because of the academics at GT. Bobby Dodd in his book Dodd's Luck said he never could figure out how he beat UGAG every season from 1949-1956. He said UGAG had better talent most of those seasons. Bobby Dodd was brilliant at the Southern Head Coaching tradition of talking down your own team.:cool: