Al Groh's comments re: GT

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Couple of things to keep in mind about Al Groh is how his coaching tenure at his alma mater ended. Not sure if he had anything positive to say in the poem he read to the media unless I completely misinterpreted the poem.

As far as I know, Groh was pretty respectful with his official message released after being let go. The derisive comments came months after he was fired and by that time, we had statistics to prove that our defense actually improved overall and in several categories after Groh left and Coach Kelly became the interim coach. Let's be real here though, was anyone here happy with Groh's defense? I'm fine with people blaming CPJ for hiring him but trying to use the circumstances around how Groh was fired against CPJ seems counterproductive to such an argument.

This is a probably a pretty fair article to reference:
http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/50749/groh-rips-gt-culture-johnson-responds

On the other hand, even though Groh hasn't been offered a job by any other team, I still respect him as a defensive minded coach and thought that he would be a pretty good DC or a LB coach for an NFL (not college) team struggling defensively.

At the end of the day, any attempts to try to connect the dot between what happened to Groh then and Walkosky/Griffin now doesn't seem very prudent seeing as how no one has any idea what happened to Walkosky/Griffin.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I will never forget seeing this post over and over during a game thread -"MTSU Scores Again!"
Dear mr Groh that was unprofessional.

thwgjacket

You guys must only follow Tech closely.... other teams fire or have coaches leave, have players move on, etc...

This seems like a off season/fire CPJ kindling thread.

But, given the circumstances, I understand this thread as to the organization as a whole with 3 plays leaving, 3-4 players on suspension, 2 players academically ineligible and 2 coaches gone. CPJ is responsible for the whole program, but I don't think this all this is due to some perceived inability to run a program.

Glad Vad moved on to clear up the QB picture to someone who wants to run the ball
People have got to be able to handle the course work at GT to play at GT or they move on or get academically ineligible
Employees who don't do the right thing get fired all the time

We just had all three in a short period of time. This is better now then in August.
Good point. UGA's entire secondary is jumping ship or getting kicked out.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Learning on the job is what I would expect from a guy with no experience
He had no experience.... at GT. GT is unlike any other job in college football. It is so different, each and every coach has had a pretty big learning curve upon arrival. CPJ's early success with a handful of NFL skill players masked that for a couple of years, but it still happened. Like I said, it's no different than any other coach at GT in the last half century.