Akelo "Rolling" Stone makes his way to the portal

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
No sugar coating this, Huge loss for DL. I guess he's gonna get paid by an SEC team. College Football sucks now, there's almost no point even keeping up with who is on our team anymore. In the blink of an eye, they gone
I disagree. Because it goes both ways. Those players on the bigger SEC schools who don’t get playing time transfer out and come to us. How do you think we got EJ Jenkins last year? Or Christian Leary this year?

We are also a destination ourselves for G5 talent. Keion White was a transfer from Old Dominion.

college football is not what it was, and I miss that. But I don’t think it’s ruined. We can still keep up if we do this right.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
the importance of depth is even more important in the NIL era. We will likely never have the financial resources to compete with the SEC and Big Ten. But if we have more players who can compete and get back to 8+ wins per year, I think we can slow outbound transfers down.

seanfloyd18

Georgia Tech Fan
Given that Akelo was one of Marco’s freshmen that he was most vocally proud of a few years back, and his status as a captain and probable starter / in the rotation for certain, I can’t see this being a “testing the waters” or a “we let him go.”

Also given that we have former DEs at Ole Miss and Colorado, both big NIL transfer destinations, I’d be baffled if this wasn’t some kind of snag by Deion or Lane to add to their also weak interior DLs.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Maybe we don't need to have spring captains and awards for doing well in spring practice, or at least not till after the portal closes if kids use these things to seek out NIL deals.

slugboy

Staff member
Is Coach Key's no bs approach causing guys to rlfeel under appreciated?
Or
Is gt a bottom feeder money wise. ?
Key has lost players to the portal that campaigned for him to get the job and have publicly said that they think he’s great. I don’t think the players feel under appreciated. I don’t think Stone felt under appreciated.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Key has lost players to the portal that campaigned for him to get the job and have publicly said that they think he’s great. I don’t think the players feel under appreciated. I don’t think Stone felt under appreciated.
Maybe Stone thinks we are going have a bad defense
And / Or
Are their way greener NIL pastures than Gt

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Tampering? Do you actually believe the NCAA is still a viable entity? The NCAA has allowed players to be paid and tampered with for decades. Our fans always ask the wrong questions. The only question is why did this staff let this player get to this point? This doesn’t happen in a vacuum. Every team is and should be recruiting other teams players. The concern for GT is why isn’t our coach able to keep his players? Why do our fans always look for external reasons when negative things happen? It’s always about the man in the mirror.
You don’t like Key, do you?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
All, I moved the side conversation about what NIL has done to the transfer portal, or what the portal did to NIL, or.. well now I’m just confused. The thread about all of it is in the lounge now, if anyone wants to continue that conversation it’s there:

If you have comments specifically around Akelo and his upcoming (likely) departure this is the place to continue them.

Last edited: