Akelo "Rolling" Stone makes his way to the portal

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe just looking to see if anybody wants to out bid us out of last minute desperation? Hate to say it but it’s a smart move if you’re looking to buy your mom a car. He knows he raised his stock in the spring game and might want to know how high. Very sad but real chapter of football

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I suspect tampering. The NCAA is giving so little oversight on the portal that it wouldn’t surprise me if teams are scouting other teams’ spring games to look for potential players to poach.
Tampering? Do you actually believe the NCAA is still a viable entity? The NCAA has allowed players to be paid and tampered with for decades. Our fans always ask the wrong questions. The only question is why did this staff let this player get to this point? This doesn’t happen in a vacuum. Every team is and should be recruiting other teams players. The concern for GT is why isn’t our coach able to keep his players? Why do our fans always look for external reasons when negative things happen? It’s always about the man in the mirror.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
"The concern for GT is why isn’t our coach able to keep his players? Why do our fans always look for external reasons when negative things happen? It’s always about the man in the mirror."
@SOWEGA Jacket the Colorado Buffaloes could ask the same question but I don't see anyone blaming their coach.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
"The concern for GT is why isn’t our coach able to keep his players? Why do our fans always look for external reasons when negative things happen? It’s always about the man in the mirror."
@SOWEGA Jacket the Colorado Buffaloes could ask the same question but I don't see anyone blaming their coach.
I don’t get what you are saying. Colorado won 1 game last year. Their new coach should be pushing all of them out the door. If you are saying this guy was pushed out then that’s fine by me. I wish we had turned the roster over more but I know I’m in the minority there because we are a very weak minded fanbase. We lose a player to transfer and everyone’s first reaction is that someone else is cheating and the tooth fairy should stop it and bring justice to the world. Of course they are cheating and they should. And GT should too because this is a tough business and wins don’t come without getting dirty. Bottom line is we lost a player today so the only question is did we improve by forcing him out or did our coach get played by another coach?

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Maybe this just reads wrong, but my takeaway from what you wrote is Key is losing players because myself and others are bad fans? Stone is leaving GT because he dislikes me & other fans?

I'm still here. Still donate to GT. Still buy season tickets. Still go to games and root for my team.

I think the 1st problem is the grads that never donated to GT, never bought season tickets, never showed at any game. Our second problem are the fans that used to buy tickets and support the program that have abandoned us. The third problem are the fans unwilling to support GT athletics, won't even give us a look despite having some type of connetion to the institute.

GT is selling a product. Don't blame the GT current customers there aren't more GT customers. GT makes choices and with that are consequences.

Colorado is exploding with customers because Colorado has responded to what the fans wanted and deivered. It may not work out long term, but it's a great short term problem to have when you're being overrun with people clamoring for your product.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Deion is getting flamed pretty hard online actually for having 50+ players leaving in the portal now that his roster only has like 50 scholarship players

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Maybe this just reads wrong, but my takeaway from what you wrote is Key is losing players because myself and others are bad fans? Stone is leaving GT because he dislikes me & other fans?

I'm still here. Still donate to GT. Still buy season tickets. Still go to games and root for my team.

I think the 1st problem is the grads that never donated to GT, never bought season tickets, never showed at any game. Our second problem are the fans that used to buy tickets and support the program that have abandoned us. The third problem are the fans unwilling to support GT athletics, won't even give us a look despite having some type of connetion to the institute.

GT is selling a product. Don't blame the GT current customers there aren't more GT customers. GT makes choices and with that are consequences.

Colorado is exploding with customers because Colorado has responded to what the fans wanted and deivered. It may not work out long term, but it's a great short term problem to have when you're being overrun with people clamoring for your product.
I'm not the one making the comments about "bad fans". If you notice, I put quotation marks around the 1st sentence in my post. I was quoting/responding to another poster. I don't ever recall blaming other GT fans in any of my posts.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I'm not the one making the comments about "bad fans". If you notice, I put quotation marks around the 1st sentence in my post. I was quoting/responding to another poster. I don't ever recall blaming other GT fans in any of my posts.
My bad. That’s why I said maybe this just reads wrong. Sorry.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Ouch. Not good. But I don’t think it’s a problem with Key. It’s probably NIL + likely tampering.

If this becomes a theme though then the focus shifts internally, but I doubt that Key is the next Bob Knight.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
GT fans have nothing to do with this discussion. There are no bad fans. Even the ones who don’t show up are good fans. our only vote is with money and attendance. We don’t control the program. Regarding Stone entering the portal - either our coach didn’t mind him leaving or our coach couldn’t convince one of his players to stay. It’s not the fault of any external force, ie another team. I’m curious as to which one it was. Did we improve by pushing him out or did we get worse by not convincing him up to stay? Either way it’s on the staff and staff only. They don’t get a pass because it’s all on them. If they didn’t want to lose him then they failed in a big way.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
GT fans have nothing to do with this discussion. There are no bad fans. Even the ones who don’t show up are good fans. our only vote is with money and attendance. We don’t control the program. Regarding Stone entering the portal - either our coach didn’t mind him leaving or our coach couldn’t convince one of his players to stay. It’s not the fault of any external force, ie another team. I’m curious as to which one it was. Did we improve by pushing him out or did we get worse by not convincing him up to stay? Either way it’s on the staff and staff only. They don’t get a pass because it’s all on them. If they didn’t want to lose him then they failed in a big way.
You're pretty out of touch with this post.