AJC Ga Tech Blog...wow

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Dear All:

I was routed to the AJC GaTech Blog this evening regarding some consternation regarding a sketchy depiction of incidents surrounding a pair of recruits decomitting from Tech.

The take away from that experience was a new appreciation for the participants on gtswarm.

The lack of professionalism, civility and disrespect of the participants on the AJC Blog was most disturbing. I was taken aback by the vitriolic tenor.

I am hoping it might have been the result if a particularly bad representative series of posting, but was curious if your all's experience with that site has been?

I won't be back on that site any time soon!

Dear All:

I was routed to the AJC GaTech Blog this evening regarding some consternation regarding a sketchy depiction of incidents surrounding a pair of recruits decomitting from Tech.

The take away from that experience was a new appreciation for the participants on gtswarm.

The lack of professionalism, civility and disrespect of the participants on the AJC Blog was most disturbing. I was taken aback by the vitriolic tenor.

I am hoping it might have been the result if a particularly bad representative series of posting, but was curious if your all's experience with that site has been?

I won't be back on that site any time soon!
Most of the Tech fans who post on that site are cool. In fact, many of us post here too. There are a few (very few) actual Tech fans there who are simply haters, and nothing Tech, especially Johnson, does will ever satisfy them. But the majority of the posters on those blogs are trolls, predominantly Georgia fans, and they are the scum of the earth. Some, but not many, of the Georgia posters are generally pretty cool themselves and even call out the most obnoxious trolls. The blog today about the decommiting recruits (Johnson, in particular) took a decidedly racist term, and I emailed Ken to ask him to close the comments. I gather he did, since there were no more on there after this morning. Racist comments like those posted on there are totally out of line, even if they are by Tech fans. They do nothing at all to promote a positive image of the Institute nor of its fans. I figure the best thing for any of us to do for now is not say anything at all about the incident and hope that all parties involved will come out of it at least marginally satisfied.

Don't let today's sampling keep you from visiting, or even posting on the site. There are some genuinely good people and solid Tech fans who post there. In fact, I have become personal friends with a good many of them, and a few of us tailgate together prior to the games.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Most of the Tech fans who post on that site are cool. In fact, many of us post here too. There are a few (very few) actual Tech fans there who are simply haters, and nothing Tech, especially Johnson, does will ever satisfy them. But the majority of the posters on those blogs are trolls, predominantly Georgia fans, and they are the scum of the earth. Some, but not many, of the Georgia posters are generally pretty cool themselves and even call out the most obnoxious trolls. The blog today about the decommiting recruits (Johnson, in particular) took a decidedly racist term, and I emailed Ken to ask him to close the comments. I gather he did, since there were no more on there after this morning. Racist comments like those posted on there are totally out of line, even if they are by Tech fans. They do nothing at all to promote a positive image of the Institute nor of its fans. I figure the best thing for any of us to do for now is not say anything at all about the incident and hope that all parties involved will come out of it at least marginally satisfied.

Don't let today's sampling keep you from visiting, or even posting on the site. There are some genuinely good people and solid Tech fans who post there. In fact, I have become personal friends with a good many of them, and a few of us tailgate together prior to the games.

Thanks for the heads up... I did see some familiar participants from the gtswarm who were being overwhelmed by crazy thoughtless responses by others...thanks for alerting Ken...the tone was getting unnecessarily ugly...

Thanks for the heads up... I did see some familiar participants from the gtswarm who were being overwhelmed by crazy thoughtless responses by others...thanks for alerting Ken...the tone was getting unnecessarily ugly...
Before the AJC changed the format a little over a year ago, in spite of the trolls and occasional haters, the blogs were actually a lot of fun to read and post on. The main resident troll over a period of about 3 years was someone you have probably heard of.....WrexNEffect, or WnE. He was banned nearly 10 times from those blogs, each time coming back under a different name, but always posting the same crap. Finally about a year ago, someone at the AJC finally learned how to ban him completely, so he no longer posts there. But, as I said earlier, there are still a few Georgia trolls who tend to screw things up and piss us all off. Not many of the guys who used to post on there do so anymore, but most of them still read the articles, and we all really like Ken, who actually joined us for tailgating last week. When things were really good on there, I was able to accumulate an email list of almost 60 posters, and I still exchange emails with most of them. I have made some lasting and quality friendships as a result. So, see, it's not all bad there.....LOL

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
As @Supersizethatorder-mutt said, there are a few, and I mean a few, decent posters on the AJC blogs. It's biggest problem is lack of active moderation. Trolls are allowed to post pretty much whatever they want to. The trolls aren't all uga fans either. There are a few GT fans who actively troll the uga boards over there as well. And since they changed the uga boards to a Facebook format, the trolls camp out on the GT side now. Articles like the one you are referring to are the worst, though.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
The Atlanta media goes out of their way to make GA Tech athletics look bad every chance they get, by putting up bylines that are outrageous and imflamatory to reporting that is incomplete and inaccurate. Allowing trolls on the Tech blogs is part of their game. That's how they get their clicks and try to keep their subscriptions.

I haven't read the comments on the ajc.com blogs for almost a year now. I feel better and smarter for it, too.
I don't know. There may not be nearly as many, but there are a few posters here on The Swarm that seem to be of questionable class, intelligence, and integrity too. Some of the comments posted on the thread about the actions of the recruit at Saturday's games, were pretty offensive and borderline racist also. Fortunately, that thread was closed pretty quickly

The Atlanta media goes out of their way to make GA Tech athletics look bad every chance they get, by putting up bylines that are outrageous and imflamatory to reporting that is incomplete and inaccurate. Allowing trolls on the Tech blogs is part of their game. That's how they get their clicks and try to keep their subscriptions.
I don't disagree in general with that, but Ken Sugiura for the AJC is a damn good writer, and he provides excellent coverage of the Jackets, both complete and accurate.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Glenn, you told the truth there. The AJC will do just about anything to show Tech in a bad way. Always have and always will since they are owned by Cox Enterprises, who also own WSB, the flagship station for ugag. As an example, anytime the AJC prints a story about ugag football all pictures are in glorious red, Tech pics, yep all B&W.

Glenn, you told the truth there. The AJC will do just about anything to show Tech in a bad way. Always have and always will since they are owned by Cox Enterprises, who also own WSB, the flagship station for ugag. As an example, anytime the AJC prints a story about ugag football all pictures are in glorious red, Tech pics, yep all B&W.
It's worse in Augusta

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
As @Supersizethatorder-mutt said, there are a few, and I mean a few, decent posters on the AJC blogs. It's biggest problem is lack of active moderation. Trolls are allowed to post pretty much whatever they want to. The trolls aren't all uga fans either. There are a few GT fans who actively troll the uga boards over there as well. And since they changed the uga boards to a Facebook format, the trolls camp out on the GT side now. Articles like the one you are referring to are the worst, though.
You see that not only online, but in print. The decline in standards over the last decade has been no less than astonishing and things that once were 101 journalism things have been tossed out the window. My local paper now has a standing column on of all places the op-ed page. In that column one might say anything one chooses, as long as it is in one sentence and some few words, I am not sure how many, and they are not signed. You know, like the internet. The most scurrilous and borderline obscene attacks are launched daily and I cannot imagine what will pass in that column when the next general election starts. Attempts to talk to some grownup in charge are met with the standard, "We believe in free speech!" without acknowledging there are standards and limits to all rights, speech included. Besides, as I tried to tell the last one, let them say what they want in their newspaper. They don't get free speech in your newspaper. I am afraid the internet has eliminated civility from our society.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Be careful, Glenn. Don't let those black helicopters get sight of you.