AJC: Dennis Andrews no longer onthe Team

GTBillyJosh

Jolly Good Fellow
100% agree. With Benson waiting until 2016 that's marshall (if you consider him a back and b back) and cottrell and who else?

Coming back we have Snoddy, Ike, Lynch, Searcy. New guys are Omahri Jarrett, Nathan Cottrell and TaQuon Marshall. I'm no expert, but I was impressed by OJ's film. Whoever it is, we need someone to step up with blocking or else it's going to be a long day for JT.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
This is not good, Andrews was a solid AB last year. A lot is riding on Snoddy getting back to 100%.
Best blocker we had on the edge, this sucks! I haven't read the article yet, is this a permanent decision or does he have a chance to work his way back?
I'm kind of shocked, he seemed to get the responsibility he had as a senior to set a good example for the young guys. I guess he set an example in a different way though.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
It would have been very easy for a coach to turn a blind-eye to a good player (likely starter) in a position of particular weakness.

Sure I'm disappointed -- but, I respect how difficult this must have been for CPJ.

I believe he does the right thing. What else can we ask?
/

Maybe it's a generational thing, but I don't have respect for someone who blindly follows rules. To me, that's a copout, not a hard decision. It's throwing a player under the bus. "You smoked marijuana, something 75% of your peers do. Marijuana is against the rules. Therefore, you're outta here kid, even though you've worked hard, sacrificed for the program, and did everything else we asked of you." I wasn't exposed to the Reagan indoctrination, so maybe that's why I don't get it, but every modern study I've seen on "drug addiction" supports a conclusion that's the exact opposite of this hard-line, social ostracization enforcement policy.

But then again, I respect CPJ. And he's closer to the team then me, obviously. And I respect the opinions of everyone on the board b/c most of you are more intelligent than me. So, I guess all of that ^ is my emotional reaction to this unfortunate news. But as a football fan with no skin in the game, how much longer do I have to see talented football players who seem like decent people be banned from playing football because they smoke a little weed? Ricky Williams, Josh Gordon, 200 GT players the past 3 years, . . . oh well.

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Snoddy and Ike are a solid 1,2. I really like what I saw of Ike during cleanup time - deceptively quick and a solid blocker. Think he will surprise a lot of people. Need at least 2 others to step up.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Maybe it's a generational thing, but I don't have respect for someone who blindly follows rules. To me, that's a copout, not a hard decision. It's throwing a player under the bus. "You smoked marijuana, something 75% of your peers do. Marijuana is against the rules. Therefore, you're outta here kid, even though you've worked hard, sacrificed for the program, and did everything else we asked of you." I wasn't exposed to the Reagan indoctrination, so maybe that's why I don't get it, but every modern study I've seen on "drug addiction" supports a conclusion that's the exact opposite of this hard-line, social ostracization enforcement policy.

But then again, I respect CPJ. And he's closer to the team then me, obviously. And I respect the opinions of everyone on the board b/c most of you are more intelligent than me. So, I guess all of that ^ is my emotional reaction to this unfortunate news. But as a football fan with no skin in the game, how much longer do I have to see talented football players who seem like decent people be banned from playing football because they smoke a little weed? Ricky Williams, Josh Gordon, 200 GT players the past 3 years, . . . oh well.
Do you have a clue?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
"You smoked marijuana, something 75% of your peers do. Marijuana is against the rules. Therefore, you're outta here kid, even though you've worked hard, sacrificed for the program, and did everything else we asked of you."
Sorry but he clearly didn't sacrifice for the program. He had 2 shots to get his act together as well. I could care less about whether it should be allowed or not and quite frankly I agree it's basically harmless but he has a responsibility to the program and he dropped the (foot)ball.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
I don't have respect for someone who blindly follows rules.
There is a huge difference between blindly following rules and respecting the authority that makes rules you don't agree with. Not agreeing with a rule is by no means an excuse to violate them, especially multiple times.

If drug usage was his rules violation, the effects vs non effects and legal vs illegal usage of marijuana is a small part of the issue. If you don't see that then, yes, it is likely a generational thing that you will hopefully understand one day.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

This is one, sans context, completely out of left field. If you have evidence pot or any other drug was involved, throw it out there. But geez. Don't on the one hand rant about a rigid coach caught up in "a generational thing" "throwing a player under the bus", and then as apparently part of a younger generation lecturing a bunch of old guys throw the player under the bus. Then back it up and run over him several times with some pontification about hard line enforcement. Whatever he did he shouldn't have been doing, and that is all we know. Unless, of course, you know more?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Sucks for Andrews because he was close to graduating with a GT degree, and he looked REALLY explosive this spring. Was looking forward to him being our feature AB with Snoddy this year. On the other hand, EVERY SA knows what's expected of them, and it's not like he didn't have examples of what happens if you don't follow rules after last summer. He did it to himself.

Out of all the positions, I'm not worried about the ABs. Will we struggle a little bit early on? Maybe, maybe no...but someone always steps up and becomes a star at AB.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
You are quite correct. It got to the point last year if you looked at the players and saw Andrews on the field you knew it was going to be a good play. His blocking on the edge was outstanding. This is gonna leave a mark.

I love how knowledgeable your fanbase has become. Fretting over the blocking of a running back, and being entirely justified to do so.