AJC B-Back Preview

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2016/03/21/georgia-tech-spring-practice-preview-b-back/

Byerly excited about MM and CJL, also that KB is a rock.

QW could wind up at AB or BB.

Love that in the CPJ quote on Mills, they had [offseason workouts] bracketed when coach was saying he looked good. I guarantee the quote was a sarcastic "he looks great in shorts!"

I think if MA could stay healthy he could have a ZL-like senior year. Reminded me of ZL in quickness to the meshpoint and one cut burst.

Obviously MM (funny no mention of him moving to AB...) has the talent. Sounds like CJL does, too. Very excited to see how this position plays out.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I continue to think we'll end up with a two-headed monster at BB. I'm pretty sure one will be Quaid. I'm also pretty sure that the other will be either Marshall or Leggett. If I had to put money down, I'd say Leggett, largely because he had the job won last year and Marshall had his problems. But then Marshall was a frosh pressed into duty; what else would you expect?

I also continue to think that either Marshall, Benson, or Leggett will end up at AB by the end of practice.

Now, watch: Mills will start. That's how it always happens when I do this.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Would it be crazy to consider redshirting MM if Allen is healthy and CJ is as good as promised?

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I still don't get the doubting of MM as our #1 BB. Did he do something wrong? All I saw was a freshman with the most natural running back skills since JD. Had a couple issues with fumbling, which is common for a freshman, and struggled in pass pro (like 99% of the rest of the team).

Prediction: MM will not redshirt, and not will not be unseated by anything other than injury (or severe fumblitis, which I think he will get fixed). If he does get unseated, then someone else was better and I'll be thrilled.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
I still don't get the doubting of MM as our #1 BB. Did he do something wrong? All I saw was a freshman with the most natural running back skills since JD. Had a couple issues with fumbling, which is common for a freshman, and struggled in pass pro (like 99% of the rest of the team).

The team had issues yes, but Marcus Marshall only had 696 yards last year. The vast majority of those yards came in two games. Alcorn State, where everyone looked like an NFL player, and Pittsburgh (where he had a great game). Those were also the only two games where he scored touchdowns.

Yes, a lot of that is on the O-line and general offensive inefficiency, but I wouldn't say MM is the clear cut starter. Talented, sure. But he still has work to do.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
The team had issues yes, but Marcus Marshall only had 696 yards last year. The vast majority of those yards came in two games. Alcorn State, where everyone looked like an NFL player, and Pittsburgh (where he had a great game). Those were also the only two games where he scored touchdowns.

Yes, a lot of that is on the O-line and general offensive inefficiency, but I wouldn't say MM is the clear cut starter. Talented, sure. But he still has work to do.

So who distinguished themselves more than MM last year that deserves the benefit of the doubt as #1 heading into spring?

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't think anyone is defacto #1.

I think we have a ton of good options and the cream will rise to the top for this year.

Agreed that we have open competition at BB. As it should be. And I think there are two, potentially three guys who could take that spot from MM. I was one who was super high on CJL from signing day. My only argument here is that based on last year's on-field production, MM is pretty clearly the guy to beat out. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but I'm not sure how this isn't a widely accepted fact.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Agreed that we have open competition at BB. As it should be. And I think there are two, potentially three guys who could take that spot from MM. I was one who was super high on CJL from signing day. My only argument here is that based on last year's on-field production, MM is pretty clearly the guy to beat out. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but I'm not sure how this isn't a widely accepted fact.

You're right that there is no evidence other than that Marshall is clearly the superior talent and has the higher ceiling. However, I felt better with Allen toting the rock. He just couldn't stay healthy. There is no doubt that MM is good enough to see the field plenty this year, but also there is no doubt that he played like a freshman last year. If we can get a full 3 years out of him, I'd rather he get in his redshirt if we're in good shape without him. It's harder to judge this because all we have to feel confident about other than him 1 guy who played well in very limited opportunity mostly due to injury.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
It seems to me that if everybody stays healthy, this is most talented group since Dwyer/Jones/Allen.

You've got speed burners all over the place (cottrell/benson/Marshall/green), you've got thumpers in Leggett and Q. It all depends on how they develop. That said, if Marshall makes "normal" strides between his freshman and sophomore year, if he gets beat out, then you guys should be in VERY good shape.

I expect Marshall to be no less than "good" next year, and if anybody beats him out, they're better than good.

sl1m75

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm glad that the level of competition seems to be very high for playing time. This can only make this position better.

ball4life66

Helluva Engineer

He did that on only 86 carries. I think we should give him the ball more this year and he should become a 1000 yard back.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
He did that on only 86 carries. I think we should give him the ball more this year and he should become a 1000 yard back.

It's very likely that we are all arguing while pretty much believing the same point. Marcus Marshall definitely did enough last year to enter spring competition as the #1 B-back. I'm not saying he's a scrub. I'm just saying he should not be the "clear-cut starter". He should have to continue to work to earn that.