AJC Article - Pastner Tries Unheard of Plan

Deleted member 2897

It’s deserved ridicule. All questions we have asked ourselves as well. I still can’t believe we’re 0-2 with this team.

at the risk of being overly dramatic, this is exactly how North Carolina went last year. All the talent in the world to win a bunch of games, but could not figure out how to gel and play as a team.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
“20-20” hindsight is easy for us. With all the craziness with cancelled football games, how can we really blame him for him for overreacting? But, you’re right - it was obviously a mistake watching those first 2 games!!
Except that I didn't hear of a single other team that took this approach, so it was obvious we were going to be at a disadvantage.

It also didn't make any sense. So you have non-contact practices, but have contact games twice a week? If anyone tested positive on either team they would have been considered close contact and resulted a 14-day quarantine. So basically you were not even solving the problem, but sacrificing preparedness. Absolutely stupid

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
LOL

So do you still want to defend CJP’s practice approach??

/

Except what I said is still true. Non contact isn't the same as individual. There are things you can do in non contact that you can't do in individual work outs. Two of the things you said couldn't be practiced can be done non contact (zone and back cuts).

Also, this is an easy target to make as an excuse for bad play but the team was practicing with contact up until the week leading up to the game and a lot of the issues we saw shouldn't have been impacted the way they were with non contact practices like energy and shooting. It probably had some impact on our defense and might have played a role in the high TO numbers (although that was an issue last year so it's hard to say).

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Did we practice with contact up until a week before the game? I didn't see that and would be really curious if we did that. I thought we had kept everyone distant all during the pre season practice but happy to be wrong. Trying to implement defensive schemes or offensive sets without scrimmaging (aka contact) is well nigh impossible to do. Our defense in particular looks like we haven't run any scrimmages to cement switches/rotations or for the zone movements with the ball.

slugboy

Staff member
It's not a lock that our offense will improve with changed practice. I can see our defense improving, but offense has other issues.

I believe that Moses also practiced at the 4, until getting moved into the 5 during the first two games.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Did we practice with contact up until a week before the game? I didn't see that and would be really curious if we did that. I thought we had kept everyone distant all during the pre season practice but happy to be wrong. Trying to implement defensive schemes or offensive sets without scrimmaging (aka contact) is well nigh impossible to do. Our defense in particular looks like we haven't run any scrimmages to cement switches/rotations or for the zone movements with the ball.

From the article "Once the team begins thrice-weekly COVID-19 testing, Pastner said that he will run non-contact practices for the remainder of the season. [...] The plan goes in place a week before the season opener, Nov. 25 against Georgia State at McCamish Pavilion. The first few non-contact practices have gone well, players have said." That was on Nov 5 so it sounds like we had some contact and some not before the week leading up to state.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
It's not a lock that our offense will improve with changed practice. I can see our defense improving, but offense has other issues.

I believe that Moses also practiced at the 4, until getting moved into the 5 during the first two games.
This is a huge part of why we have been bad thus far

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If I remember correctly, GT is usually one of the best defensive teams in the nation statistically every year. Our defense has definitely not been to the level we've been accustomed to. You look at the GA State game and how close it was...if we make one or two more stops at any point in regulation or the OTs, we win that game. Unfortunately, that's not what happened.

I get why Pastner did what he did, give him credit for quickly changing as most coaches are hard headed.