awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Link

tech-va-basketball-6507.jpg

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Four months into the job, Georgia Tech coach Josh Pastner invited media to watch his team practice Tuesday at McCamish Pavilion. With little to report on during the summer, the practice drew three of the local TV stations, which is two (or three) more than have usually attended media availability sessions during the past few seasons.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Regarding Heath - "Guard Josh Heath is still recovering from hip surgery in mid-April. He said he wasn’t able to walk for four weeks and only began running in the last 2-3 weeks. He was held out of most of the workout. Heath said he had nagging pain throughout last season..."

Hope this allows him to not only have a decent post college life, but allows him to play better and possibly more this season.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Regarding Corey Heyward - "... guard Corey Heyward appears slimmed down. Heyward played 22 minutes last year, stuck behind Marcus Georges-Hunt, Heath and Travis Jorgenson at the point. Heyward handled the ball plenty and looked comfortable in the role. Prior to last season, he averaged 16.5 minutes as a freshman and 11.8 as a sophomore, so he has experience. As thin as the depth is, he may see more time this season."

Only 22 minutes of official PT. WOW! I knew he wasn't on the court often, but just didn't think that his total time was 22 minutes. Hope he's up to and earns more PT this season. Give him credit for sticking with it.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
#6 is what I like. BGs teams were terrible at that. Dribble dribble dribble. Pass to the wing, pass it back, dribble dribble dribble, throw up a 3 or turn it over while making a post entry from the top of the key

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good to see that he is pushing Tadric too...Perhaps that extra push will help bust out this year.

He and Stephens have enough talent to become 12-14ppg scorers.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
So, we had a standard basketball practice yesterday? :meh:

I'd be surprised if CBG didn't ride players in practice and emphasize ball movement too. He's still a college level coach.

Glad to hear the news on Heath.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I like our media guys and have no grudges with anyone. I especially like Ken and his coverage of all things GT.

That said, I think one of the biggest benefits of open practices will be the media's education on basketball 101. I would not be surprised to read about what a shell drill is, what fast break/transition drills look like, running suicides, etc. And those drills might also get associated with CPast since there was no media availability prior. That's not a Ken-specific comment. It is one of general observation/interactions with others during my limited coverage of the team + my arrogant/snobbish opinion that I know way more about basketball than others.

On the flip side I appreciate media access and the lay man's coverage of football since I'm a noob. So, I get why basketball articles may still be written to explain general concepts and what's expected of the players.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
He is the polar opposite from coach K, who has the worse mouth I have ever heard...it's pretty amazing he can coach a D1 program without cusing when upset...even middle schoo coaches do it.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
wow, I must be asleep--Heath had surgery? trying to recover----If both he and Jorg were hurt no wonder there was so little production
-with the poor shooting ,new coach and new players this team on paper has got to be one of the worst since Dwayne Morrison and the Aint's . JP certainly has a challenge.