AJ Gray

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
A little positivity.

If AJ is not starting the rest of the way over Demond (along with forcing Marquise Williams throw himself to a victory like thought we were going to make Thomas Sirk) me and Roof will have an issue. Dude is a baller! His raw football talent jumps every time 15 comes across my screen. What I like most, he is willing tackler in the hole.
AJ is one of those guys that players on the other team will point to and think "Now that is what a football player is supposed to look like" He exudes class, confidence and athleticism. Just an outstanding football player. Need more like him.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Yeah - he really has been a stand-out.

He is simply bigger and faster -- but he has something else -- maybe better body control/balance? It's like all of a sudden he just moves super fast.

/

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Yeah - he really has been a stand-out.

He is simply bigger and faster -- but he has something else -- maybe better body control/balance? It's like all of a sudden he just moves super fast.

/

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I am really encouraged by AJ. It would have been really nice if he could have kept his feet after the pick Saturday. Either way, it was still a good play. If I were the coach, I would want to make darned sure he was assignment sound before making him a starter. Those guys are the last line of defense. Points get rung up in a hurry when coverages are blown and it doesn't matter how good an athlete you are when that happens. At this point 'ballin, I agree with you, in that we know who is destined to be the man back there.

Like the 91 yard run at ND? Not saying it was AJ, but somebody wasn't where they needed to be.

That was the very first play that came to mind. Also do remember AJ "walking himself out" of a play on the north side of the field at BDS@HGF earlier this year...

Makes a big difference to be in the right place instead of trying to get there after messing up.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It's a little soon ( limited sample) to project honors etc, but it's clear we have room for a bunch more like AJ to fit in on defense.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
You can definitely see the improvement from game 1 to now with AJ. A lot more sure with where to go, and he did it against a better opponent in Duke. He flashes a lot on D...just always around the ball. The last guy to flash like that at the safety position? Morgan Burnett. Know what other similarities they both had? Both were also their HS's starting QB.

Excited about his potential for our defense.

the other thing I liked about AJ was that he ALSO played DEf in hi school as opposed to Golden, who had to learn really from scratch even being a good athlete

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
On the 91 yd run by ND, Hunt didn't just get held, he got YANKED away from the ball carrier. Another DB who shall remain nameless took a bad angle trying to cut around a blocker instead of keeping the play in front of him.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
a few positives. The D got a lot tougher and more active. Alot more aggressive. Juene sucks at blocking but starting to maybe give JT some confidence on the edges in the pass game.

Allen ran well...then injured...i think we need more mix at BB.....

then so many negatives i just have to......pause.....

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I was kinda thinking AJ was gonna get a look at qb next spring. We may need him too much on D.
Was thinking the same thing. I think that would've been possible back in the summer. Now, it sure looks like AJ has played his way into the rotation and greater things are ahead as a DB.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
This was a statement from his coach during his recruitment period-

"I currently coach him at Washington County High School. He wants to play safety. He needs to play safety. That is where he will help us the most. He wants to play in the league and that is where he feels he has the best shot. With that being said, if CPJ asked him to play on the OL he would. He is that type of kid. As for more offers, as soon as other schools try to enquire, he and his family politely explain that they have no chance."