Ahmarean Brown Freshman Highlight Video

Scubapro

Banned
I don’t understand the piling on of Patenaude. The guy has had a long career. Folks use the schools he’s coached at as if that’s a negative. Maybe the guy wanted to raise his family while working at high level academic schools without moving every other year. Then when his kids are grown he branches out to Coastal and then to Temple with Collins. Now, he gets a chance at a P5 school. I’ll take a hungry experienced guy with something to prove any day. Last year was a mess because we had limited QB play and less than limited OLine play. We’ll be able to pass judgment on him one day but that day is at least 2 years away.
I don't buy this argument. He bounced around like a tennis ball mostly as an assistant. I don't think he wanted to stay in one place to raise a family. His longest stint was at Coastal Carolina where he posted mediocre results. If he had fire in his belly with something to prove it would have shown up some other time in his 30 year career. Being at a power 5 school doesn't reset the clock on his resume. Watch the youtube videos on Coastal. That is the BEST you can hope for with CDP.

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t understand the piling on of Patenaude. The guy has had a long career. Folks use the schools he’s coached at as if that’s a negative. Maybe the guy wanted to raise his family while working at high level academic schools without moving every other year. Then when his kids are grown he branches out to Coastal and then to Temple with Collins. Now, he gets a chance at a P5 school. I’ll take a hungry experienced guy with something to prove any day. Last year was a mess because we had limited QB play and less than limited OLine play. We’ll be able to pass judgment on him one day but that day is at least 2 years away.
Go look back at how Temple fans felt about him. They rejoiced when he left.

https://templefootballforever.wordpress.com/tag/dave-patenaude/

Or you can read Temple fan's comments here:

I know he didn't have much to work with in 2019, but I'll give you two small examples from the Georgia game that show he doesn't cut it.
1) On a 3rd and 9 when we were down by 3 scores in the second half, inside our own 20, he called a run. Not the only time hade did that this year.
2) n the last drive of the game when we were down 52-7, he let the clock run out! We were driving on their side of the field and a chance to prevent the greatest margin of victory in the entire series, and he chooses to let the clock run out. For what reason?

Scubapro

Banned
Go look back at how Temple fans felt about him. They rejoiced when he left.

https://templefootballforever.wordpress.com/tag/dave-patenaude/

Scroll through these articles. This is our future with CDP. I really hope he moves along before the players report for summer camp.
This is what I don't get. He wore out his welcome fairly quickly at Temple due to the schizophrenic game planning and play calling. However, many Tech fans use the excuse that you cant judge him on one year. There is plenty to judge his abilities.

How does this quote grab ya?: "If Geoff Collins doesn’t realize by now that Patenaude is the problem, then HE is the problem. Collins’ job is not nor should not be in jeopardy, but athletic director Pat Kraft can nudge him to put Ed Foley or Adam DiMichele in the OC role."

It didn't take them two full years to see the shortcomings of CDP.

Collins can talk about building a program for the long term, which makes sense, but the hard truth is if he doesn't win and win quickly it will not matter how cool he is with social media or the press. He will be on a bus out of town and his dream job will be in the rear view mirror.

Patenaude will be to Collins what Nix was to Gailey.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Collins can talk about building a program for the long term, which makes sense, but the hard truth is if he doesn't win and win quickly it will not matter how cool he is with social media or the press. He will be on a bus out of town and his dream job will be in the rear view mirror.

Patenaude will be to Collins what Nix was to Gailey.

Wrong. Collins has a long leash. A 7 year leash and the support of the AD and big money alum.

I also remember many GT posters laughing and mocking Clemson for the Dabo hire.

As for Patenaude moving around like a tennis ball, give me a break. The guy went from Fordham, Columbia, to New Haven over a 10 year period where he didn’t have to physically move. To me, that’s called a man with family priorities.

I’m just an alum and fan who won’t dump on a guy because others look down their nose at his resume. I have no problem with GT hiring a guy with his resume at prestigious schools. He’ll sink or swim on his own but I’m giving him a shot because I like a lot of what I saw last year. I saw a coach who was willing to make QB changes. I saw a guy who gave talented players a chance to shine rather than sit them. As far as schemes go I say what schemes? When you don’t have a line that can block what scheme can you create. Ask Mason how he liked that OLine last year.

Scubapro

Banned
Wrong. Collins has a long leash. A 7 year leash and the support of the AD and big money alum.

As for Patenaude moving around like a tennis ball, give me a break. The guy went from Fordham, Columbia, to New Haven over a 10 year period where he didn’t have to physically move. To me, that’s called a man with family priorities.

I’m just an alum and fan who won’t dump on a guy because others look down their nose at his resume. I have no problem with GT hiring a guy with his resume at prestigious schools. He’ll sink or swim on his own but I’m giving him a shot because I like a lot of what I saw last year. I saw a coach who was willing to make QB changes. I saw a guy who gave talented players a chance to shine rather than sit them. As far as schemes go I say what schemes? When you don’t have a line that can block what scheme can you create. Ask Mason how he liked that OLine last year.
We will see. CDP has never shown he can coach at a high level. Its not gonna change now he is in Atlanta. Not looking down my nose at him for coaching at smaller schools on his resume. The problem is there is next to no success on his resume.
He had plenty of chances to swim at other schools but he sank. Why waste time with him. You can see him for what he is right now.
Yes, we were short handed on the o-line last year but I am not talking about his time at Tech.
Point to his resume and tell me what is it on there that tells you he will be successful at Tech? You cant because there is nothing there. However, you can see a not so rabid fan base at Temple ready to buy him a Greyhound ticket after a season and a half. Collins' success will hinge on how quickly he replaces CDP.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
We will see. CDP has never shown he can coach at a high level. Its not gonna change now he is in Atlanta. Not looking down my nose at him for coaching at smaller schools on his resume. The problem is there is next to no success on his resume.
He had plenty of chances to swim at other schools but he sank. Why waste time with him. You can see him for what he is right now.
Yes, we were short handed on the o-line last year but I am not talking about his time at Tech.
Point to his resume and tell me what is it on there that tells you he will be successful at Tech? You cant because there is nothing there. However, you can see a not so rabid fan base at Temple ready to buy him a Greyhound ticket after a season and a half. Collins' success will hinge on how quickly he replaces CDP.

Well, that and learning game management... :)

684Bee

Helluva Engineer

Nuclear holocaust could be happening and I swear I could come here and see a couple posters complaining about CDP.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
I know he didn't have much to work with in 2019, but I'll give you two small examples from the Georgia game that show he doesn't cut it.
1) On a 3rd and 9 when we were down by 3 scores in the second half, inside our own 20, he called a run. Not the only time hade did that this year.
2) n the last drive of the game when we were down 52-7, he let the clock run out! We were driving on their side of the field and a chance to prevent the greatest margin of victory in the entire series, and he chooses to let the clock run out. For what reason?

You're right. Not the first time he did that this year. From inside our own 5 even!!
giphy.gif

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

1)You obviously didn't watch our line attempt to pass block this year. You'd rather risk a pick inside the 20? I can't disagree with the call.

2)I agree with this point. When Bobby Ross was struggling during his first two years he was always attacking. I remember being behind in a game by a large margin and he used all of his time outs to try to score. I don't believe we scored, and it wouldn't have made a difference in the outcome. After the game he said that he wanted to teach the team that you keep trying and don't give up. That paid off a couple of years later.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
1)You obviously didn't watch our line attempt to pass block this year. You'd rather risk a pick inside the 20? I can't disagree with the call.

2)I agree with this point. When Bobby Ross was struggling during his first two years he was always attacking. I remember being behind in a game by a large margin and he used all of his time outs to try to score. I don't believe we scored, and it wouldn't have made a difference in the outcome. After the game he said that he wanted to teach the team that you keep trying and don't give up. That paid off a couple of years later.
Not disagreeing with anything said here. This is just another thought: we competed in the 1st half of that game. If Brenton king was halfway competent, it would’ve been a 1 score game at half. It showed me that we’re a recruiting class or two away. We just ran out of gas in the 2nd half b/c we lack depth and leaders. I think our brief senior day signaled the lack of veteran leadership needed to overcome adversity and elevate younger players.

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow
You're right. Not the first time he did that this year. From inside our own 5 even!!
giphy.gif
That's good, worked out for him though. How about this one.

Were we overmatched talent-wise? Absolutely, and I get that. I know ugag was way above us this past year. What is unacceptable is 12 "3 and outs" in one game. 12!!! We were also fortunate to force 3 turnovers and recover an onside kick. We scored once. Not to mention the gems that were the Temple and Virginia Tech games. Were we overmatched by Temple in talent? Not by much, and we didn't score a single point on offense. Thacker put up more points than Pnut that day.

Scubapro

Banned

Were we overmatched talent-wise? Absolutely, and I get that. I know ugag was way above us this past year. What is unacceptable is 12 "3 and outs" in one game. 12!!! We were also fortunate to force 3 turnovers and recover an onside kick. We scored once. Not to mention the gems that were the Temple and Virginia Tech games. Were we overmatched by Temple in talent? Not by much, and we didn't score a single point on offense. Thacker put up more points than Pnut that day.

You forgot 24 quarters without a score (& one overtime) and 50+ three and outs for the season.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer

I don’t disagree with a thing you posted. Patenaude will either show us something next season or hopefully he’ll be gone. I’m just not going to dump on him because of last season when Spurrier wouldn’t have done much better. Maybe Collins trusts him and is letting him help build it up and then Collins will bring in someone new when the time is right. I don’t know, but he’s the OC at GT so 8m pulling for him. One thing I like is that he quickly moved on from Johnson and Oliver at QB. A lot of guys would have let their ego get in the way. Collins appears to be about either getting it done or stepping aside which tells me he isn’t all talk.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck

So sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't....kind of like our passing game. Shocking.

There's plenty to complain about if you want to complain about the offense, but highlighting that play call as a reason to fire the OC seems misplaced.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Was CGC given a budget, if so I imagine there were trade offs that he had to do and I'm guessing that number one on his list of hires was recruiting and in order to get that, OC was a place he cut for now. We're raising funds, we get players in, ticket sales go up, hopefully ACC revenue goes up (ACC NW), of course "covid" may delay some of the revenue, don't know. In the meantime the OC has a chance to prove himself. We'll see.

Milwaukee

Banned
Was CGC given a budget, if so I imagine there were trade offs that he had to do and I'm guessing that number one on his list of hires was recruiting and in order to get that, OC was a place he cut for now. We're raising funds, we get players in, ticket sales go up, hopefully ACC revenue goes up (ACC NW), of course "covid" may delay some of the revenue, don't know. In the meantime the OC has a chance to prove himself. We'll see.

Thank you. A couple of knuckleheads here are upset that Collins didn’t bring in Urban Meyer to run the O. Just another example of Collins “not getting it” lol.

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow
So sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't....kind of like our passing game. Shocking.

There's plenty to complain about if you want to complain about the offense, but highlighting that play call as a reason to fire the OC seems misplaced.
Of course I don't want to fire him because of one play call, it was just one example that was fresh in my mind. I hope he proves me wrong next year and in the upcoming years, I love CGC and just want us to succeed, and if Pnut gets us there then great, keep him. I just don't have much faith that he will.

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow
Thank you. A couple of knuckleheads here are upset that Collins didn’t bring in Urban Meyer to run the O. Just another example of Collins “not getting it” lol.
My problem is not with Collins, he gets it more than any coach we've had in a long time imo. I think he will get us to where we can be as a program, but I'm just worried that CDP may hinder him a bit.

Scubapro

Banned
Of course I don't want to fire him because of one play call, it was just one example that was fresh in my mind. I hope he proves me wrong next year and in the upcoming years, I love CGC and just want us to succeed, and if Pnut gets us there then great, keep him. I just don't have much faith that he will.
Pretty much sums up my feelings.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
There are lots of areas of the team that I have little faith in - OLine, DLine, Kickers, Special teams, Linebackers, OC and DC. But the point of a regime change and an extended contract is to pause, take a deep breath, and start to figure it out. TStan and Collins are still in the early phase of the process so every facet of the team/organization is up for evaluation. I suspect by the end of the next season we’ll have a much better idea of which coaches can coach and which players can players. Patenaude is just one part for TStan and Collins to evaluate. I trust them to make the right decision on all aspects of the team.