After Watching the Tape

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
What a game. Duke did a little bit of everything on defense. They charged the gaps, ran stunts, shifted late, and tried (IMO) to confuse the blocking. They charged the alley pretty hard with the safety, which is why I think we ran a lot of counters. I think they came ready to play a physical game, and did so for four quarters. I primarily watched JT and the O line. We missed some blocks but overall I don't think we played that poorly. I think the false start and delay of games was JT trying to get the pre-snap read correct. The late movement by the D was causing him some issues I think.

The turnovers were killers as we all know. Laskey got stripped trying to get a few extra yards.

I think JT's ankle kept him from getting a lot on his throws, which caused two picks. The play action pass was there if we could have just hit it. I honestly think JT gutted it out in the second half.

I have not watched the D yet, but we did not win the battle up front. I could tell that from the game.

wuzjrbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree, JT was not getting much on his throws today and made some poor decisions. If JT weren't here, we would be loving Byerly running the show. Always thought he was a winner and a playmaker in this type of offense. Makes good decisions, has a nice touch on passes, runs like a bull... and is dangerous in the open field. Not trying to stir up anything, but if someone is not 100%, play the guy who is just as good. JT is still the #1, but hey, put Byerly in a little earlier and maybe we are celebrating another win. Tough call, I know.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Agree, JT was not getting much on his throws today and made some poor decisions. If JT weren't here, we would be loving Byerly running the show. Always thought he was a winner and a playmaker in this type of offense. Makes good decisions, has a nice touch on passes, runs like a bull... and is dangerous in the open field. Not trying to stir up anything, but if someone is not 100%, play the guy who is just as good. JT is still the #1, but hey, put Byerly in a little earlier and maybe we are celebrating another win. Tough call, I know.
Im with you. If you have to ask JT if he can go... you may want to just see if Byerly can handle the pressure and move the offense. If not.. then go back to JT after he gets taped up. Byerly is more than capable of stepping in and making us look good.

Bule

Jolly Good Fellow
I think if CPJ had to do it over he would have played Byerly the entire 2nd half but hindsight is 2020. Oh well I hate that we lost this game

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think you have to stick with your starter as long as you think he can go and he still wants to be out there. This game was part of the learning process for JT. He is going to get banged up playing the QB position in our offense. Playing through the pain is part of becoming a great player. He gave us what he had yesterday and came up short with some plays I'm sure he wished he had back. Byerly is a good player and he did his job well yesterday. It would be nice to be able to play them both but I think the old saying is true, if you have more than one quarterback then you really don't have a quarterback.

Go Jackets!