Advice needed: Google Chrome speed and basic diagnostics for my macbook

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
Hi everyone -

Recently, Google Chrome has been running extremely slow on my macbook. My internet speed has remained constant, and I haven't noticed any slowdown with Firefox. I searched online for suggestions, but I didn't find a forum or advice that came across as that credible or current. Can anyone recommend a general list of things I can try or direct me to a good website that contains the information I'm seeking?

Additionally, the IT guy at my (non-GT graduate) school was installing remote printing on my computer and my computer crashed during the process. He had to reset the computer, resulting in an awkward moment of silence that I filled with small talk by joking "isn't it amazing how restarting the computer fixes everything." He replied, actually, the computer crashing means there's a problem with your hardware. The IT guy then opened up disk utility and ran a scan, saying if there's a problem it will come back red and it will tell you what to do. When the scan finished, the text was green. I'm guessing that I'm okay? Are there any simple diagnostic test I can run to verify?

Thanks for any and all help.