Adidas Contract Expiring

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Creates an account and gets right down into the important bits: uniforms. That’s exactly how I got sucked down into this rabbit hole. I actually think my first posts were about the new Adidas uniforms and fan gear.

I’d be shocked if Tech signed a deal with anybody but Adidas, but I’m fine with the 3 stripes. The uniform designs have ranged from pretty bad to really good in all sports. The team gear from Adidas has clear distinctions in quality based on who it’s for. I was still in school when Tech switched to Adidas, and for the most part the quality wasn’t that much better than Russell, and in some cases it was worse. I think that’s been remedied now as Tech and Adidas understand each other a little better and what’s expected out of Adidas as a supplier, and GT as a buyer. The gear that Tech’s athletes are getting now is on par with what they’re getting at other Adidas schools like Miami, Washington, and Kansas, as well as all the P5 Nike schools. The lower level Adidas schools like Louisiana Tech, Jacksonville State, Troy, San Jose State, etc. and any D2 or lower level get actual crap for their team gear.

IMPO the fan gear has been fine, and I’ve never had any trouble finding something in a style/color I like. The quality has been what you would expect out of any large manufacturer mass producing goods, except maybe Adidas’ sizing is a little more inconsistent than other brands. I expect that’s due to the large European and South American markets that Adidas has a large share in. I know there are several other posters who would say that Adidas’ fan gear has not lived up to their standards, but I’m not sure how much better it can be. I personally have been wearing much less athletic themed gear as I’ve gotten older and into the professional world. Most of my GT gear now is golf polos, 1/4 zips, and sweatshirts coming from brands like Section 103, Cutter and Buck, Homefield, Antigua, etc. but what I do have from Adidas has held up well. I would have no complaints about an extended contract, as long as they can get us solid uniforms for every sport.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Somebody mentioned GT possibly going to Jumpman (Jordan/Nike) in another thread. Wonder if they accidentally spilled the beans, or it was just a generic filler.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I’ve always been an adidas fan.
I’ve worn Adidas since HS, many years ago now. Their merchandise has always been good quality, IMO. I first wore their Stan Smith tennis shoe in 11th grade, then an assortment of other shoes and shirts over the years. They were more tennis and soccer, though. Never really saw them as a major football vendor until 15 years or so ago. I’m good with three stripe.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
I’ve worn Adidas since HS, many years ago now. Their merchandise has always been good quality, IMO. I first wore their Stan Smith tennis shoe in 11th grade, then an assortment of other shoes and shirts over the years. They were more tennis and soccer, though. Never really saw them as a major football vendor until 15 years or so ago. I’m good with three stripe.
When we first had that !@#$%^&*()_+ AstroTurf installed at Grant Field for the 1971 season, adidas (lc) was one of the shoe brands we wore....Riddell, SpotBilt, and Puma were the others...... Adi Dassler built a big shoe company in post-WWII Europe two decades before Nike got started in Oregon with track shoes.

Nike didn't hit the national football scene til about 1974 when USC made a major comeback & thumped Notre Dame. 55-14. USC RB Anthony Davis was shown on national TV wearing "The Swoosh" shoes and everyone had to have them.

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
Adidas has done a good job, but for whatever reason our gold jerseys don’t match our gold helmets. I think they need to fix that before we re-up them

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
When we first had that !@#$%^&*()_+ AstroTurf installed at Grant Field for the 1971 season, adidas (lc) was one of the shoe brands we wore....Riddell, SpotBilt, and Puma were the others...... Adi Dassler built a big shoe company in post-WWII Europe two decades before Nike got started in Oregon with track shoes.

Nike didn't hit the national football scene til about 1974 when USC made a major comeback & thumped Notre Dame. 55-14. USC RB Anthony Davis was shown on national TV wearing "The Swoosh" shoes and everyone had to have them.
Yeah, now ghat you mention it, I do recall those football shoes.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

His brother built Puma in the same town in Germany. Talk about a town divided...

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t really have a presence on one brand over the other. It has also surprised me that adidas hasn’t tried to do more in this market area. Miami, Loserville, NC State, and miss St are the only big colleges that adidas has in the south. You would think they would want to Try to Capitalize on the Atlanta influence, although it probably is hard to push things for a struggling program.

I am Also surprised, or perhaps missed, teach and adidas haven’t done more with the “stripe” ties Between there logo and the yellow jacket stripes.
And then to open another can of worms, maybe something along the lines of the black watch. I know with the rules you can’t have certain players where a black stripe, but this seems like a great way to have adidas create something uniquely Tech that we can market. And i realize our defense has been so bad that there might not be anything handed out recently, so maybe we create something for offense?