Addressing the Vad Lee situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If Lee transferring was a good thing, then his staying would be equally good because the coach could always bench him and it would be the same thing as him transferring. Therefore, his transferring is either no impact, at best, or a bad thing. Most likely it is a bad thing.
What if he stays, gets benched and it splits the lockeroom? That scenario doesn't exit if he leaves.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Vad playing the season with JT getting few snaps tells me that CPJ felt that, at this time, Vad was the best chance to win. CPJ owes it to his seniors to do everything he can to help the team win. I don't believe in "playing for next year". It would have been nice to get JT real-time snaps, but if Vad was our best chance this year, I support what our coach has done.

Now, with Vad leaving (and I wish him the best. He's always been a great ambassador for GT), JT and TB have all the Spring and Summer snaps. This really isn't any different that what we had with Vad coming in from last year. I find the "chicken little" responses a little overkill. This also gives those who don't want CPJ at GT a venue to voice their displeasure, but we'd hear that anyway. There are several broke records that you just need to skip over.

I look forward to moving forward with JT and TB next year. I think we'll be better off with someone who buys into the system. I do believe in the system.

To me, this isn't that hard to understand....

You can't pass without talented, properly trained blockers or without talented, properly trained WR's. I don't think we have either to a BCS level, so most likely PJ did not see a way to get there from here.

But, with that said, it was his system offense that contributed greatly to this dearth of talent, IMO.

CPJ has to make the first move and Recruit long angular, pass-blocking OLs, the first 4 years of CPJ's tenure he recruited shorter, smaller OLs to run block for his system.

Vad is not the Recruiting coordinator for GT FB, CPJ is.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Obviously my last statement was rude, sorry about that. Vad was a 3 star that wasn't recruited to play QB by most of the schools interested in him. He made poor decisions all year with several costly turnovers. I'm assuming he will have to sit out a year and at a school that isn't very good as far as football is concerned. I've wanted to see Justin all year because hes more elusive and better running the football, so now hopefully he will take over and we will be better offensively next year. I wish Vad luck but it was a dumb decision in my opinion, bad for him and good for us.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Vad threw at a completion rate 11% lower than Tevin Washington's was in 2012.
Tevin Washington was a significantly more accurate passer than Vad.
Let's say it again - Vad, the guy everyone is saying was a natural passer and who should have been in an offense which featured his arm more - threw at 45% this year, whereas the much-maligned Tevin Washington threw at 56% last year.

I'm not saying Vad lacks potential or anything, but the suggestion that his natural passing ability was so overwhelming that our offense should have been re-designed to feature it even more prominently (in a year when we actually went more pistol than ever before) is just so absurd I wonder if you guys watch the games.

Does anyone truly believe Vad would have excelled in a system that required him to read secondaries even more heavily this year? I just don't understand that.

I truly, honestly hope he goes somewhere and plays lights-out and makes it to the NFL. I always liked Vad and his personality. And I think he can get a lot better - Tevin kept improving, to the point that our passing game DID adapt to his ability to read secondaries and throw accurate mid-range passes. But let's not pretend Vad was Brett Favre forced into a Tommie Frazier offense.

Vad was at fault for some of his bad play, but Vad also didn't have the benefit of Tevin's OL protection in 2012 which was probably our best OL play in CPJ's tenure. Our OL play reminded me of 2008 and Josh Nesbitt running for dear life as soon as he got the snap.

It took Tevin 3 years to get to 50%+ completion percentage, and he was sub 50% the previous two seasons. 2012 Tevin is the first QB in CPJ's GT tenure to pass for over 50% completion, so I would say Vad's passing is more indicative of the system than Vad.

I guess that's what it boils down to. Vad wants to go to system and to a staff that can develop and maximize his full potential. He's not getting it here and his goals don't mesh with what CPJ's history with QBs have shown. If you look at CPJ's past QBs, a very small percentage of his past QB's passed for over 50% or developed into great passers. The past is prologue.

Good luck to Vad. Kid represented us well.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I appreciate Vad trying to make it work this year. It just wasn't. He knows it and we know it. I wish him well if true.

I don't share all the pessim though. Frankly, I think we were probably playing Vad on potential more than anything. We may have actually had better results with JT or TB taking snaps. I say let's stick with the system and find the right QB.

Completely agree. I wish Vad the best. As I said before I don't think he ever truly bought into learning our CURRENT system...was always focused on pistol packages CPJ installed for him this year.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Vad was at fault for some of his bad play, but Vad also didn't have the benefit of Tevin's OL protection in 2012 which was probably our best OL play in CPJ's tenure. Our OL play reminded me of 2008 and Josh Nesbitt running for dear life as soon as he got the snap.

It took Tevin 3 years to get to 50%+ completion percentage, and he was sub 50% the previous two seasons. 2012 Tevin is the first QB in CPJ's GT tenure to pass for over 50% completion, so I would say Vad's passing is more indicative of the system than Vad.

I guess that's what it boils down to. Vad wants to go to system and to a staff that can develop and maximize his full potential. He's not getting it here and his goals don't mesh with what CPJ's history with QBs have shown. If you look at CPJ's past QBs, a very small percentage of his past QB's passed for over 50% or developed into great passers. The past is prologue.

Good luck to Vad. Kid represented us well.

I think this is a quality post, tbh. Our 2012 line was definitely better and no doubt contributed to Tevin's increased success. Uzzi and a healthy Morgan Bailey were huge for us last year.

My point is not just that Vad isn't where he *should* be passing-wise; it's that he's not clearly so good throwing the ball that we're somehow doing his skillset a disservice by passing the amount that we do.

I think Vad showed just as many flashes as an option QB as he did throwing the ball, to be totally honest. This year he just seemed less aggressive running it though.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I think this is a quality post, tbh. Our 2012 line was definitely better and no doubt contributed to Tevin's increased success. Uzzi and a healthy Morgan Bailey were huge for us last year.

My point is not just that Vad isn't where he *should* be passing-wise; it's that he's not clearly so good throwing the ball that we're somehow doing his skillset a disservice by passing the amount that we do.

I think Vad showed just as many flashes as an option QB as he did throwing the ball, to be totally honest. This year he just seemed less aggressive running it though.

Vad was so timid this year that it makes me think that he was trying to stay healthy in order to transfer before the season began or at least shortly into the season's start.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Vad definitely was not the passer we all made him out to be. I think a lot of us thought he would be further along. Unfortunately, that was not the case.

Atleast we won't have another QB controversy. Well, I'm probably lying, GT fans do love our backup QBs!

Vad definitely was not the passer we all made him out to be. I think a lot of us thought he would be further along. Unfortunately, that was not the case.

Atleast we won't have another QB controversy. Well, I'm probably lying, GT fans do love our backup QBs!

Vad was poorly coached at GT, our QB coach also coaches the B-backs on the field during practice so he probably wasn't getting the instruction that other QBs get from QB coaches or OCs that serve as passing game coordinators.

Our QB coach also coaches the B-backs so that Vad can work on the mesh instead of his footwork and throwing mechanics, had Vad signed with Cutcliffe out of HS he would have been further along.

Tempest_12

Jolly Good Fellow
There is WAY to much speculation going on in this thread.

I know alot of people on here seem to think Vad is the next coming of Payton Manning, but to me he just didn't look that good throwing the football around. I think if you look at the stats you'll see that it wasn't very effective either. He had quite a few costly fumbles running the ball as well. On the other side he did make some nice throws and had some nice scrambles.

It's never as good or as bad as it seems.

PatrickinGa

Georgia Tech Fan
No, but he(James) spent a lot of time running between the tackles.
Not with our OL blocking.

But after Vad going to Whitfield twice (iirc), I would have expected him to correct some of his issues as a passer.

Vad is a great kid, just not cut out to be in the position he is in, where he is in it.

Would love to see him go to Duke and succeed.

PatrickinGa

Georgia Tech Fan
So many times Vad seemed to be totally gassed before the game was even over, so he still needs to work on his conditioning. And after two sessions (iirc) with Whitfield I would have expected for lackings in his passing to be addressed (like footwork, passing off back foot). How long does it take to be able to make the reads that he still misses correctly?

Vad is a GREAT kid, has shown us that while he has been here. This cannot be easy for him either, I WISH HIM THE VERY BEST. Hope he goes to Duke to play for Cutcliffe, and does very well. He is not cut out for this offense, should not have even come here in the first place.

JT is small (seems even smaller than Tevin was), wonder if he can take the season long pounding of running an option offense.

I would not be at all surprised for Tim Byerly to surprise us all before all is said and done. He is buried in the depth chart, but has done his job and kept his mouth shut. I still think that he can run this offense.

Jacket0323

Jolly Good Fellow
Saw it all, backpedaling from a rush is a coaching issue not player. Fix the problem!!!! Did you never see "disclosure" with Michael Douglas and Demi Moore? Stop getting bogged down in the small things and see the bigger picture. Why does Sewak still have a job???

Status
Not open for further replies.