AD Search....

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
HBC! Stephen Orr Spurrier ! Tech ties, can surely raise the dough we need to compete, and is endlessly entertaining. Now, if we can only figure out how to pay him more as our AD than UF pasy him to be a part time consultant? Get Marvin Lewis to handle the details and let Steve bring in the $$$ and fun!

stech81

Helluva Engineer
HBC! Stephen Orr Spurrier ! Tech ties, can surely raise the dough we need to compete, and is endlessly entertaining. Now, if we can only figure out how to pay him more as our AD than UF pasy him to be a part time consultant? Get Marvin Lewis to handle the details and let Steve bring in the $$$ and fun!
You may not need to pay him more just find better Golf courses .

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
And you may want to look a little bit outside the "Tech Man" mentality.

If it's close, I'd give it to the Tech person every time. That's because 1) they really understand what GT is and 2) should be more effective/credible with GT alum.

Let me once again say that being a GT person matters. I liked Clough a lot because he was good and a GT person who got what it was to get through. On the other hand, one day at a tailgate in Peter's Park, Peterson and his wife stopped by. (I was with some big donors.) I asked Peterson who he was rooting for in the UGAg/USCe game that day. He said UGAg since when we weren't playing them he supported Georgia schools. At that point, he lost me for life.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
I asked Peterson who he was rooting for in the UGAg/USCe game that day. He said UGAg since when we weren't playing them he supported Georgia schools. At that point, he lost me for life.
1849109365_569a41f236_z.jpg

what is wrong with that man?

He is not just some engineer-come-professor-come-administrator; he played the game in high school and at K-State. He did his graduate work at TAMU. He should understand football rivalries.

There is some rumor that Pepper Rogers screwed over K-State when Peterson was there getting K-State on a probation that took 10 years to recover from (Rogers was at Kansas). So maybe his treatment of sports at GT is a giant troll.

My confidence in getting someone who will be better than MBob just approached zero.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Bobby Dodd fits your requirement, and he was one of the worst ADs Tech has had.

I'd take a young Bobby Dodd. He was very good at picking good assistants ..... who left GT and starred in other CFB programs. I think that the biggest part of the AD job is not as much what you do as what you inspire others to do. I think Bobby Dodd got pissed at the college athletics world which had changed, which is why we left the SEC. He didn't adapt.

The first three words I wrote were "If it's close ......". So being from GT comes after competence for the particular job.

But looking at the Purdue website, you have a point ...... some of the Purdue posts were that at least they didn't pick a Purdue alum.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
So if it is good for him, that means it is good for GT? What has he done, besides going to GT to make him what we need?

Hiring anyone with GT ties, right now, will signal to the general public it is just more of the same BS they / we have seen since 1964.

Yeah, bring in curry with him to pontificate about all the really remarkable, stupendous, super unbelievable, exciting, glorious, phenomenal, tragic, never been seen before, incredible things going on that we're in vogue in the middle of the last century.

When's the last time we had an AD who had Tech ties?

GTFLETCH

Banned
I am guessing our 2018 schedule will not be filled while we have to search for an AD... I am hoping out OOC does not have to have 2 FCS teams!!

I'd take a young Bobby Dodd. He was very good at picking good assistants ..... who left GT and starred in other CFB programs. I think that the biggest part of the AD job is not as much what you do as what you inspire others to do. I think Bobby Dodd got pissed at the college athletics world which had changed, which is why we left the SEC. He didn't adapt.

The first three words I wrote were "If it's close ......". So being from GT comes after competence for the particular job.

But looking at the Purdue website, you have a point ...... some of the Purdue posts were that at least they didn't pick a Purdue alum.
What he did as a coach, early in his career or later, has no bearing on the lousy job he did as AD. He let Tech facilities go to hell, and did nothing to help. Homer Rice came along at the right time and got that, and many other things, fixed. If not for Homer, there's no telling what kind of mess we would have today.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
If it's close, I'd give it to the Tech person every time. That's because 1) they really understand what GT is and 2) should be more effective/credible with GT alum.

Let me once again say that being a GT person matters. I liked Clough a lot because he was good and a GT person who got what it was to get through. On the other hand, one day at a tailgate in Peter's Park, Peterson and his wife stopped by. (I was with some big donors.) I asked Peterson who he was rooting for in the UGAg/USCe game that day. He said UGAg since when we weren't playing them he supported Georgia schools. At that point, he lost me for life.

My point is this. If we start winning as we should, not 7-5 or 8-4, then the Tech folks will come. But my understanding is that if ALL GT alum, who care about sports, in driving distance bought tickets we still would not sell out. IDK. We have got to expand that base.

People want to spend their money to go to a football game for the fun, escape, excitement, and seeing a team beat good opponents. They do not give a tinkers damn that one day of the week about math & science.

For 50 years we have talked, talked, talked about putting a "Tech Man" in charge for no solid reason other than where they went to school. It has turned away so many potential customers on so many levels IMO.

Can a Tech grad do the job? Of course if all criteria are met.

But we have all seen what has happened when we hired the guy with the GT connection. And we have all seen what has happened when we hired Rice, Cremins, Ross, O'Leary and others.

Just saying there are things we can do to expand the base.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Homer Rice didn't practically save Tech athletics he absolutely saved it. When he took over the then president wanted to scrap the football team outright, the basketball team was atrocious, the facilities were gawd awful, the football field was a thin layer of AstroTurf on top of asphalt. Homer hired Curry and made football decent again. He hired Cremmins and made bball elite. The bball success helped him raise huge funding to get the facilities back into 20th century condition. Without Homer Rice Tech really would have MIT type athletics today.
Here is to hoping the next AD will one day be worthy of winning the award now named for Homer.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Homer Rice didn't practically save Tech athletics he absolutely saved it. When he took over the then president wanted to scrap the football team outright, the basketball team was atrocious, the facilities were gawd awful, the football field was a thin layer of AstroTurf on top of asphalt. Homer hired Curry and made football decent again. He hired Cremmins and made bball elite. The bball success helped him raise huge funding to get the facilities back into 20th century condition. Without Homer Rice Tech really would have MIT type athletics today.
Here is to hoping the next AD will one day be worthy of winning the award now named for Homer.
To perfect a post to only like