AD chat

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I don’t follow the ADs as much but the expectation Bobblehead and respect he rcvd from the BB fans coming in is a far deviation than this legacy he has left behind. It’s quite hilarious.

Given the amount of dislike that each recent AD has apparently garnered, is there something else at play here?

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Given the amount of dislike that each recent AD has apparently garnered, is there something else at play here?

I think "something else" is just a trend of bad results for all of them. The trend for basketball has been bad for 15 years now, and even the bright spots 7-10 years ago in the football program weren't capitalized on (or even always supported!) by any of the ADs. Does there need to be anything more than that?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I don’t follow the ADs as much but the expectation Bobblehead and respect he rcvd from the BB fans coming in is a far deviation than this legacy he has left behind. It’s quite hilarious.

Bobinski was hired as AD to make a basketball hire. It was obvious from the start but even more obvious in retrospect. He left almost immediately after hiring Pastner (4 months ish). Considering the circumstances around the hire, Pastner was a successful hire, winning ACC CotY in year one and having back to back winning conference records in years 4 and 5. Even though it didn't work out in the long run in terms of the hire I'd have a hard time not seeing that as a successful gamble of a hire. To that extent he was successful. We'll be extremely lucky if CDS replicates that level of first 5 years, although he has a better shot given what he is starting with.

His legacy is affected by the football side of things where he is hated because he didn't come in and just immediately give Johnson an extension and then eats the blame for Johnson falling off later in his time here because someone has to and it won't be Johnson.

MBob wasn't a great AD, due to the overall picture, but he accomplished the main reason for him being here fairly well.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Bobinski was hired as AD to make a basketball hire. It was obvious from the start but even more obvious in retrospect. He left almost immediately after hiring Pastner (4 months ish). Considering the circumstances around the hire, Pastner was a successful hire, winning ACC CotY in year one and having back to back winning conference records in years 4 and 5. Even though it didn't work out in the long run in terms of the hire I'd have a hard time not seeing that as a successful gamble of a hire. To that extent he was successful. We'll be extremely lucky if CDS replicates that level of first 5 years, although he has a better shot given what he is starting with.

His legacy is affected by the football side of things where he is hated because he didn't come in and just immediately give Johnson an extension and then eats the blame for Johnson falling off later in his time here because someone has to and it won't be Johnson.

MBob wasn't a great AD, due to the overall picture, but he accomplished the main reason for him being here fairly well.
That is a very basketball centric view and, even then, it is painting the basketball program successes in the most positive light possible IMO When you think about he interacted with CPJ and our alumni, you can make a case that he was the worst AD, but I do not have the strength to argue that point with @dtm1997 .

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
That is a very basketball centric view and, even then, it is painting the basketball program successes in the most positive light possible IMO When you think about he interacted with CPJ and our alumni, you can make a case that he was the worst AD, but I do not have the strength to argue that point with @dtm1997 .

It's a basketball centric view because he was a basketball centric hire and most of his largest impact was from the basketball side of things. The main draw of hiring Bobinski was his experience making basketball decisions from his time at Xavier. As far as most positive light possible, I'm not sure how you could phrase it otherwise. Yes, basketball had some issues during that time, notably with Ron Bell and the handling of the DLab situation that got us in trouble with the NCAA. I'd agree that the second one was certainly mishandled, the former was just a fluke situation, and you can put that on the AD if you want. However that wouldn't be Bobinski.

From the football side of things, the only real argument he was the worst AD is that he didn't worship at the alter of Johnson. Otherwise he had the same issues we've had under pretty much every AD (and likely are issues bigger than the AD), and still have now. But he didn't hire Collins (or not be prepared better for Johnson leaving), nor did he promote from within Collins staff to replace him so by doing nothing he's already ahead of Standsbury and Batt on the football front. Basketball-wise Batt might look like a genius if CDS pans out but we'll have to wait and see.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Who we talking about? Basketball centric, which is the only view I concern myself with, LazyAD can eat **** the most.

Braine's biggest mistake was contract structure and it kind of ends there.

Sasquatch totally **** the bed on replacing BG. Pastner ended up better than BG and we all liked him as a person, but he was like the 17th choice and Pastner sought us out and brought a check from Memphis to take him. There's also no evidence Sasquatch had any real in fundraising chops. He was quite literally a bean counter. Pretty bad overall for hoops, but not the worst.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Pastner had some nice moments but the idea that you could rate an AD *well* for hiring him seems nuts. Way too low standards.

Were there institutional issues that limited that hire? Ok, but then did the AD fix those things? (And ask the same question about the football program...)

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
It's a basketball centric view because he was a basketball centric hire and most of his largest impact was from the basketball side of things. The main draw of hiring Bobinski was his experience making basketball decisions from his time at Xavier. As far as most positive light possible, I'm not sure how you could phrase it otherwise. Yes, basketball had some issues during that time, notably with Ron Bell and the handling of the DLab situation that got us in trouble with the NCAA. I'd agree that the second one was certainly mishandled, the former was just a fluke situation, and you can put that on the AD if you want. However that wouldn't be Bobinski.

From the football side of things, the only real argument he was the worst AD is that he didn't worship at the alter of Johnson. Otherwise he had the same issues we've had under pretty much every AD (and likely are issues bigger than the AD), and still have now. But he didn't hire Collins (or not be prepared better for Johnson leaving), nor did he promote from within Collins staff to replace him so by doing nothing he's already ahead of Standsbury and Batt on the football front. Basketball-wise Batt might look like a genius if CDS pans out but we'll have to wait and see.
Whether he was only hired to hire a basketball coach or not is irrelevant. He was the AD for all sports and he should be judged on he handled the AD position and not just one sport. Regardless, saying he was successful AD because Pastner was a successful hire, because he won the ACC COY and ACCC is interesting, but myopic perspective on the success of that coaching hire.

If you think that the only thing he did was not worship CPJ, then there is no point in continuing the conversation. He tried to force the man out.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Who we talking about? Basketball centric, which is the only view I concern myself with, LazyAD can eat **** the most.

Braine's biggest mistake was contract structure and it kind of ends there.

Sasquatch totally **** the bed on replacing BG. Pastner ended up better than BG and we all liked him as a person, but he was like the 17th choice and Pastner sought us out and brought a check from Memphis to take him. There's also no evidence Sasquatch had any real in fundraising chops. He was quite literally a bean counter. Pretty bad overall for hoops, but not the worst.
No, not the worst for hoops, but maybe the worst for all sports.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Hats off to our new AD and his family. He had to come in and immediately hire a new FB and BB coach while trying to relocate his young family. New house, new school situation, all within a few months. Wonder if baseball is his next hire? How long before Hall retires?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Hats off to our new AD and his family. He had to come in and immediately hire a new FB and BB coach while trying to relocate his young family. New house, new school situation, all within a few months. Wonder if baseball is his next hire? How long before Hall retires?
Good summary

I wonder if we could look adding womens soccer w out great expense.
Angel likes it ( important for him to have a long term attitude!! ) . Campus has tons of females and foreign students that would like it.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Good summary

I wonder if we could look adding womens soccer w out great expense.
Angel likes it ( important for him to have a long term attitude!! ) . Campus has tons of females and foreign students that would like it.

I have nothing against soccer (and certainly NOT women!!!!!) but does it make sense to add another negative revenue sport now given where we are financially? I would argue that we fix existing issues before adding any more to our plate but would like to hear a counter argument as to why adding women's soccer is a net positive move at this moment,

slugboy

Staff member
I have nothing against soccer (and certainly NOT women!!!!!) but does it make sense to add another negative revenue sport now given where we are financially? I would argue that we fix existing issues before adding any more to our plate but would like to hear a counter argument as to why adding women's soccer is a net positive move at this moment,
College Soccer isn’t going to get an Atlanta United atmosphere, but it’s fun. Women’s soccer has the advantage that you’ve got a women’s sport with a roster of 22 or more players

It’s an easy sport on a campus with a lot of land—the equipment costs aren’t that bad. The question is, where would you put it?

It’s not a big need, but the expense wouldn’t be that bad, aside from finding a spot to play—which would be tough in Midtown.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I live near UNC and Duke. Both have excellent women's soccer teams. They hardly get any attendance to their games and RTP is a hot bed of soccer. It would be a nice team to have but would add expense that would be difficult to justify in our current financial situation. There would be scholarships, coaching salaries, and lots of travel expenses to play in the ACC.