ACC wants degregulation of

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
I don't know how you can have a conference championship game with just one division and teams not playing everybody in the division.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I do not see how this could be a good thing for us.
Its most definitely not a good thing for us. But all in all it is about the money. They want the big name teams in the championship games so they can fill the stadium. Sometimes why I believe sports may be fixed or rigged. It is considered entertainment and the players to make big money once they make it to the NFL. I just have the horrible belief that most things are usually about money no matter how kind hearted the thing may seem.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I don't know how you can have a conference championship game with just one division and teams not playing everybody in the division.
Not with how many teams are in these superconferences. Itd be almost pointless to change it up because certain years the lower teams would get an easy schedule and upset the status quo. Just like it happens now a days. Look at Duke this past season.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
At first read I feel this is not a good thing for Tech or any other team not named FreeShoes, Clempson or daU. In my mind it put the conference championship solely in the hands of the commissioner office and basically tells the other members of the conference that we may let you in the game IF we feel you're worthy. Conceivably you could have 4 teams in one division with 1 loss each and then have an undefeated team in the other division be left out if the commissioner's office decided the 4 best were the 1 loss teams. Farfetched, I know, but not out of the realm of possibility.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Just dont have divisions then. Take the top 2 of the conf and play em. If there is a tie in the standings go by head to head and if they didnt play each other go by either conf record or ap ranking or comissioner office. But the point is if you eliminate the divisions you wont have the big gap incase one division sucks one year and the other is really strong. Outside of being lame and just picking the two this seems to be the best approach. Oh and go to 9 conf games then.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I like how they bring this up now after 2 years where it would've been FSU vs Clem. Nevermind the first 5 years of the ACCCG where it would've been 2 coastal teams not named Miami playing each other.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I do not see how this could be a good thing for us.
The only good thing I can think of is if divisions are abolished and scheduling changes more from year to year. There could be a small group of permanent partners for each team and then the other teams would rotate every season. This way we could possibly play FSU more than twice every 15 years.

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If the new legislation is adopted a league could match its two highest-ranked teams. That might enahnce a conference's ability to get as many teams as possible into the new four-team playoff.
Wouldn't this actually do the opposite? If the two highest ranked teams are in one division currently, only one team risks a loss and both teams could potentially go to the playoff. By matching those two teams up, it guarantees a loss and will most likely eliminate them from contention for a playoff slot.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Just dont have divisions then. Take the top 2 of the conf and play em. If there is a tie in the standings go by head to head and if they didnt play each other go by either conf record or ap ranking or comissioner office. But the point is if you eliminate the divisions you wont have the big gap incase one division sucks one year and the other is really strong. Outside of being lame and just picking the two this seems to be the best approach. Oh and go to 9 conf games then.
This. The only problem is everybody doesn't play everybody every year. Your chances of landing in the ACCCG would depend largely on the luck of the draw of your schedule.

Maybe they could devise a point system where wins vs higher ranked teams are worth more points than wins against lower ranked ones.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Win and we have nothing to worry about.
Well lets say Louisville, FSU, and GT win all their ACC games but do not play each other... It becomes similar to the boondoggle we have had for the the national championship the last few years.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Eggsackley. But the Cheeseman is right: this does make the scheduling a lot more important. I can only imagine how much backstabbing would go on every year over that!

But ultimately count me in the camp with keeping the divisions. I'm a firm believer in keeping the Devil you know.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
This. The only problem is everybody doesn't play everybody every year. Your chances of landing in the ACCCG would depend largely on the luck of the draw of your schedule.

Maybe they could devise a point system where wins vs higher ranked teams are worth more points than wins against lower ranked ones.

No different than now. No one plays everyone each year and its not uncommon to have a weak cross division schedule to boost your divisional chances too. So the point is this surely prooves you can clearly get the not two best teams in a championship game. Which really is kinda dumb.

But i do like the divisions due to the rivals it forms.

So to me its go to 9 games then just pick the top 2 as the alternative.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
No different than now. No one plays everyone each year and its not uncommon to have a weak cross division schedule to boost your divisional chances too. So the point is this surely prooves you can clearly get the not two best teams in a championship game. Which really is kinda dumb.

But i do like the divisions due to the rivals it forms.

So to me its go to 9 games then just pick the top 2 as the alternative.
Your last two sentences don't jive together. Why would keep divisions but then just pick the top two? Wouldn't that make winning your division meaningless?