ACC Tourney

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
FSU - outside of ACCT championship - always seems like difficult matchup for us. Their 7-foot+ center, Morris, has only had two games against GT but in both he changed game in their favor (he only avg 4.9ppg in season), and Cleveland will want to show out again for ATL audience. They typically seem “tougher” than our more finesse play, hopefully Seminoles slide continues.
GT 75 FSU 71
GT 78 Pitt 75
Duke will be a problem.

MaverickGT

Jolly Good Fellow
We have played like a top 25 basketball team the last few weeks. It will just be hard with a short bench to play that much basketball in a short period of time but stranger things have happened. Really excited to see the team playing so well.
Playing like a Top 25 team, wee bit of stretch there, lol

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The ACC Tournament layout sucks. There should be no double-byes. Win the regular season, you get a bye. Everyone else plays 4 games. If you finish 2nd, you get to play #15. The way it's set up now, it too badly disadvantages the bottom 6 teams and gives too much advantage to the top 4 teams.

That would mean we'd be playing Duke in the opening round, but so be it. We're going to have to beat them anyway. I'd much rather play them on full rest than after playing back-to-back games, like we will in this tourney. Playing as a high seed against a low seed is enough advantage. I just hate it.

Instead of playing FSU --> Pitt --> Duke --> Miami --> Virginia,
we'd play Duke --> Pitt --> Miami --> Virginia

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Playing like a Top 25 team, wee bit of stretch there, lol
Shooting 42% from 3 point land for the last 8 games and that places us in the 100th percentile for all Division 1 teams so think you could make a pretty good argument that they’re playing like a top 25 team.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
The ACC Tournament layout sucks. There should be no double-byes. Win the regular season, you get a bye. Everyone else plays 4 games. If you finish 2nd, you get to play #15. The way it's set up now, it too badly disadvantages the bottom 6 teams and gives too much advantage to the top 4 teams.

That would mean we'd be playing Duke in the opening round, but so be it. We're going to have to beat them anyway. I'd much rather play them on full rest than after playing back-to-back games, like we will in this tourney. Playing as a high seed against a low seed is enough advantage. I just hate it.

We could have simply just won our games in the regular season and then we would have had a bye or double bye to get that advantage.

The only thing wrong with the ACC schedule IMO is that it's not round robin, but we have too many teams to pull that off without going Pastner's 28 game ACC season route. The way it's set up rewards teams for a good regular season but it's still completely plausible to win the Tournament playing 4 games (i.e. Virginia Tech last year).

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

In today's world conference tournament brackets are not established to benefit the bottom six teams, and that is intentional.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Did I mention:

frustrated son GIF

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
In today's world conference tournament brackets are not established to benefit the bottom six teams, and that is intentional.
The tournament brackets are highly skewed to benefit the top 4 teams in a 15-team conference, to the detriment of the bottom 6 teams. The way it is set up currently is bull****. A top 2-4 team should be able to walk through the first round against the bottom 3 teams in the league. Having to win 5 games versus having to win 3 games is asinine.

slugboy

Staff member
The tournament brackets are highly skewed to benefit the top 4 teams in a 15-team conference, to the detriment of the bottom 6 teams. The way it is set up currently is bull****. A top 2-4 team should be able to walk through the first round against the bottom 3 teams in the league. Having to win 5 games versus having to win 3 games is asinine.
It’s designed to get as many teams into the tournament as possible. Making it easier for the bottom 6 or 7 teams in the conference hurts the bubble teams.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I like the bye system. Makes the regular season actually mean something for both the top of the league but also bubble teams.

slugboy

Staff member
It should be about the ACC Tournament, not about the NCAA Tournament. Still think it's BS and stupid. The ACC Basketball Tourney used to be a thing. They've gone and screwed it up.
It’s a money play. It’s also bragging rights—or at least it used to be. The ACC used to get 7 or 8 in.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
It should be about the ACC Tournament, not about the NCAA Tournament. Still think it's BS and stupid. The ACC Basketball Tourney used to be a thing. They've gone and screwed it up.
You can't have a good tournament with 15 teams. The best part of the 8 team tournament was having all 8 teams play on the first day therefor fans from every team were there on day 1. Now fans simply don't show up on day 1 or 2 as there are mostly crappy teams playing crappy games! Your solution simply has more crappy games. Become a top 4 team or suck it up. CJP likes losing on day 1!