ACC tourney: VS BC

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Does anyone know if the data is conveniently available to count how many games we've gone 3, 4, 5 minutes without scoring?

I'd be interested in that too. Most teams seem to go through long scoreless droughts and then hit 4 or 5 in a few minute period. Maybe someone who understands basketball can say why.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. Good effort, I only watched the first five minutes (both teams were horrendous) and the last 4 when we blew the lead. But we had to play well to get that lead. Basketball is a game of runs. It seems the other team wants to win too (tic). :whistle:

What are the odds of a fresh team beating one that played the day before in the ACC tourney? I'd think about 75%. But from a fatigue standpoint it should get even harder for the third game in three days.

You guys have to be kidding me. That was an example of "someone had to not lose"

GT was lucky they were playing a worse team with a slightly worse coach. That was an 8 win team last night that made this team look so distraught.

"3 in a row wahoo!!" We played well and beat Syracuse Ill give you that. The other 2? Combined they have one more win than GT.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Does anyone know if the data is conveniently available to count how many games we've gone 3, 4, 5 minutes without scoring?
Too darn many ( I know that isn't an official count...)
If it wasn't for a few free throws we wouldn't have scored for over 9 minutes... Think they said a basket at the 5:28 mark to less than a minute left in OT. Maddening!

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
It continues to amaze me when coaches ease off the offense and try to play it safe when they are ahead. It is rampant in all sports. The coaches that win big are those who never coast, they go for the throat on both offense and defesne. Tech almost blew another win last night by trying to run the clock down.

A winning team must keep the pressure on even though they are up double digits. It always gives the other team a boost when they make a run in any sport. It gives them more confidence they can overcome the winning team. It also causes the winning team to lose focus when they let down on offense and/or defense. The guards were hesitant to shoot the outside shots which also hurt Tech because BC was beginning to double up on the inside. Our guards that can hit from the outside should be ready to shoot as soon as the ball hits their hands when they are in the clear. For some reason they hesitate and give the defense time to recover. Poor coaching in this instance, although three in a row is a great improvement. They could have easily lost some of those three because of their propensity to ease up after getting a lead.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I will admit, I wish we stepped on more necks when having the opportunity. We had the opportunity last night and we should've pushed it up to 20.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Agree with both @Rodney Kent and @dtm1997. I absolutely hate prevent defense or in our case prevent offense last night. The psychology of sports in this case is clear. As RK said, giving any team a glimmer of hope is dangerous especially when there was as much time left as there was last night when we started to run clock.

The caveat I imagine most coaches use to justify this is they're trying to limit possessions. Well, if running your normal stuff got you a 15pt lead why not just show some confidence in what you taught?

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Agree with both @Rodney Kent and @dtm1997. I absolutely hate prevent defense or in our case prevent offense last night. The psychology of sports in this case is clear. As RK said, giving any team a glimmer of hope is dangerous especially when there was as much time left as there was last night when we started to run clock.

The caveat I imagine most coaches use to justify this is they're trying to limit possessions. Well, if running your normal stuff got you a 15pt lead why not just show some confidence in what you taught?
I think when you slow down your offense to eat the clock , it helps the other team defensively. They get steals and forced bad shots at the end of the clock. Leading to fast breaks and easy buckets or FTs. I understand not taking shots early but you have to keep the pace at a reasonable speed or the other team will gain control of the game. Luckily our lead was high enough to not lose it for us.

Omahajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
You guys have to be kidding me. That was an example of "someone had to not lose"

GT was lucky they were playing a worse team with a slightly worse coach. That was an 8 win team last night that made this team look so distraught.

"3 in a row wahoo!!" We played well and beat Syracuse Ill give you that. The other 2? Combined they have one more win than GT.
I was referring to Kam's performance specifically. From the 9:00 left in first half to about 4:00 left in second half we did look okay though.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I was referring to Kam's performance specifically. From the 9:00 left in first half to about 4:00 left in second half we did look okay though.

Against a terrible rebounding team were able to get second chance opportunities and capitalize thankfully. We need shot makers in a bad way. A mediocre rebounding opponent would have crushed us last night.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
There's a fine line between Bolden throwing up a wide open brick with 25 seconds left on the shot clock and waiting to make a play until there are 7 seconds left. Both are bad but as a coach you tell your guys to milk the clock. The rest is on Trae Golden as a floor General. He needs to constantly analyze looking for a crease or single coverage on Carter or Miller under the bucket and at his discretion feed them or whoever else has a high percentage shot the ball no matter how much time is on the shot clock. The only part of that I can say is bad coaching is it seem like our wings don't do crap until the clock runs down.

One thing that was awesome to see is when Golden got his 2nd or 3rd foul at the end of the first half he wouldn't let CBG take him out. He allowed a BC player an easy layup to not get another foul, but that's the attitude I like to see. That guy isn't leaving without a fight. Hope he gets everyone else playing with that attitude. Miller could use some help WRT mindset it seems. I know he's not the most ferocious guy ever, but this is resume building time and 5 pts, 5 boards doesn't get you anywhere.