ACC Tournament Location

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Inspired by a now annual thread on the Syracusefan.com forum, what's your preference for location of the ACC tournament?

Greensboro, NC is tradition. However it's not located in a media hotbed nor mass transit/urban location with easy accessibility.

We have DC and Brooklyn coming up. I can't tell if the ACC is trying to find a new identity or truly believes in rotating sites as the long-term/equitable solution.

Thoughts?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I have a pullout sofa and a beanbag chair that unzips in to a pretty awful bed for 1 person. Also, good access to everything NYC has to offer, either walkable or Subway.
Ok, well you have just over a year to make renovations. That should be enough time. If you need to lease neighboring units for all of us that's cool too.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
I really like Greensboro, but with so many different schools/fanbases involved now, I wonder if the conference has outgrown this site.

I'd like to see them find a permanent spot and I feel like somewhere in North Carolina is the best answer.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I built a property a few miles from Greensboro Audotorium and I have to say.......what a hole.

But it would be a few hours from my front door so it gets my vote.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
We had to wait 'til post #9 to get a vote for tha A? How dare you people?

Also, I got dibs on @dtm1997 's beanbag chair/bed when the tourney's in Bkln. Nah, dtm you can have to beanbag, I'll take your bed. What, I'm a guest?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
So, my votes are Charlotte or Madison Square Garden.

Charlotte would keep the tournament in NC for tradition purposes and also gives us consistency with football. Nice climate and fairly easy to get there from anywhere on the east coast.

MSG would put the ACC in what many consider to be the mecca of basketball and a media capital of the U.S. Admittedly I have a personal bias here due to years as a Big East guy. There's a reason the Big 10 is trying to get in there and it's not to be hospitable to Rutgers. I think it would simply require a long-term commitment from the ACC to muscle out the Big East (and Big 10). My guess is the ACC's history in Greensboro will be considered too valuable to make that kind of move.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I doubt ACC would move it permanently to NYC - it won't want to be seen as a 'Northern' league. But they will want a presence there.
I expect mostly a rotation with NYC and somewhere in NC with maybe the very occasional tourney elsewhere.

Tdippp

Ramblin' Wreck
So, my votes are Charlotte or Madison Square Garden.

Charlotte would keep the tournament in NC for tradition purposes and also gives us consistency with football. Nice climate and fairly easy to get there from anywhere on the east coast.

MSG would put the ACC in what many consider to be the mecca of basketball and a media capital of the U.S. Admittedly I have a personal bias here due to years as a Big East guy. There's a reason the Big 10 is trying to get in there and it's not to be hospitable to Rutgers. I think it would simply require a long-term commitment from the ACC to muscle out the Big East (and Big 10). My guess is the ACC's history in Greensboro will be considered too valuable to make that kind of move.
Doesn't the Big East use MSG still?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I doubt ACC would move it permanently to NYC - it won't want to be seen as a 'Northern' league. But they will want a presence there.
I expect mostly a rotation with NYC and somewhere in NC with maybe the very occasional tourney elsewhere.

"The ACC tournament, brought to you by Trojan condoms and Allosaurus Publishers from Los Angeles California"

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
It's interesting you say that because it didn't even cross my mind. I suppose that might be a factor, though I think it's more likely the southern/NC schools strong-arm it for personal preferences (i.e., travel, bringing more fans).

To be honest I wonder if the ACC is more scared of MSG on a permanent basis simply because it wants to avoid being branded a basketball conference. Football is the cash king and therefore possibly steering the ship.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Whether it's MSG or Barclays, the ACC would have no trouble filling the arena. The UNC, dook, Cuse, & UVA presence along with Louisville could probably handle most of it, so traveling fan bases are fairly well mitigated.

Side note - has anyone ever gone to the ACC Tourney and made it through all the games? I can't remember if I made it or almost made it last time it was in ATL, but it was close. Let me tell you that is a marathon of a wknd, not for the faint of heart. Anyway, I'll be shooting for that next year & the year after.