ACC Tournament - 2017

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
As of last night, we are the #10 seed. We can be anywhere between 9th seed to 11th seed depending on our final game's outcome.

Top 9 seeds get a first round bye, but if we end of with the 9th seed we will play the #8 seed in the second round. The #8 seed could be one of Miami, UVA or VT (less likely).

The 10th seed plays the worst team in conference (BC at this time), and the 11th seed plays the second worst team (Pitt, right now).

Give the matchups only and NOT considering the NC2A (like CPast says) tournament chances, would you want to us to win or lose at Syracuse on Saturday?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Need the road win for the RPI numbers and the win quantity. I do not want to play UVA right now. Miami on a neutral court ....... eh. Reed has to stop making shots sometime I guess.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Yea UVA really through a wrench in my bucket for trying to get a matchup against VT when they beat UNC. Getting the 10 seed at this point will be tough. We either need to beat Cuse and Wake beats Louisville and VT or we need Wake to lose both games. If they split those games and we lose them they take the 10 seed. I'll be perfectly content with just beating Cuse now because I'm not sure I see us getting the #10.

Deleted member 2897

We absolutely want to win against Syracuse no matter what. That would be a great road win against another high bubble team.

To me, playing on rest, the difference between being #10 (Boston College) versus being #11 (Pittsburgh) is minuscule. In the next round, we'd have to play either the #7 team or the #6 team. This could easily be someone like Duke and Virginia. If we finish #9, we'd play the #8 first, which could be someone like Miami. Winnable, but more difficult. Win that and then you play #1 North Carolina.

At this point, I think you don't pick and choose and you just win dammit. Duke scares me, but honestly any opponent on no rest is going to suck for us. I don't think we'll be able to say 'darn, we lost to Duke, but we would have won had it been Virginia.' Just play and win. If we finish #10 and beat Boston College and then someone like Virginia Tech, those wouldn't actually be marquis wins on our resume' anyway. We just need to win.

Deleted member 2897

A ton of events have to happen for Duke to drop to the 6 seed. I believe only VT can pass them up.

Duke (11-6) finishes @ North Carolina this weekend. Tough game. 11-7 wouldn't be a surprise for a final record.
Louisville (11-5) plays Wake Forest and home against Notre Dame. Wouldn't be shocking for them to finish 12-6, or even 13-5.
Notre Dame (11-5) plays Boston College and @ Louisville. I'd wager that looks like a lock for 12-6.
Florida State (11-6) finishes home against Miami. Only 1 home loss all year. I'd wager that looks like a 12-6 finish. They won @ Miami last time by 18 points. Split with Duke, so not sure who has the tiebreaker (FSU's margin of victory was bigger, if that matters).
Virginia Tech (10-7) finishes home versus Wake. They beat Duke earlier this year, so if they beat Wake, they'd be 11-7 and pass Duke.

Under this scenario, which isn't really a stretch anywhere, Duke would finish 6th. Furthermore, there's actually some insulation here. For example, Miami (10-7) beat Duke and owns the tiebreaker. If Florida State loses to Miami, Duke would pass them, but then Miami would pass Duke and Duke would stay #6.

To me the only real risk to finishing #6 is if North Carolina beats them this weekend and if Virginia Tech beats Wake Forest at home. The rest has a lot of wiggle room.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Duke (11-6) finishes @ North Carolina this weekend. Tough game. 11-7 wouldn't be a surprise for a final record.
Louisville (11-5) plays Wake Forest and home against Notre Dame. Wouldn't be shocking for them to finish 12-6, or even 13-5.
Notre Dame (11-5) plays Boston College and @ Louisville. I'd wager that looks like a lock for 12-6.
Florida State (11-6) finishes home against Miami. Only 1 home loss all year. I'd wager that looks like a 12-6 finish. They won @ Miami last time by 18 points. Split with Duke, so not sure who has the tiebreaker (FSU's margin of victory was bigger, if that matters).
Virginia Tech (10-7) finishes home versus Wake. They beat Duke earlier this year, so if they beat Wake, they'd be 11-7 and pass Duke.

Under this scenario, which isn't really a stretch anywhere, Duke would finish 6th. Furthermore, there's actually some insulation here. For example, Miami (10-7) beat Duke and owns the tiebreaker. If Florida State loses to Miami, Duke would pass them, but then Miami would pass Duke and Duke would stay #6.

To me the only real risk to finishing #6 is if North Carolina beats them this weekend and if Virginia Tech beats Wake Forest at home. The rest has a lot of wiggle room.
Basically Duke, Miami, UVA all need to lose and VT needs to win.

In other words, VT needs to get into a one way tie with Duke.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Our seeding in ACCT is now simple. Beat Syracuse and we are #9. Likely opponent on day 2 is Miami. Lose to Syracuse and we're #10, likely day 1 opponent is BC. Day 2 opponent is hard to know (7 seed could likely be UVA or VPI)

ACCT seeds 3-7 are going to be hard to figure out until all the games are done. Too many teams with 6 or 7 losses and the tiebreaker is how you did against all tied teams head-to-head, not individually. UNC is locked in at #1. If Louisville or ND finishes 13-5, they are #2. Then it gets interesting....

Possible scenario #1 (FSU beats Miami, UNC beats Duke, Louisville beats ND, UVA beats Pitt)
12-6
#3: FSU (1-1 head to head; 0-1 vs UNC; 1-0 vs Louisville )
#4: ND (1-1 head to head; 0-1 vs UNC; 1-1 vs Louisville)
11-7
#5: Va Poly (2 -1 head to head)
#6: Duke (1-1 head to head)
#7: UVA (1-2 head to head)

Possible scenario #2 Everything stays the same, but Duke beats UNC. Every seed from 3 - 7 changes.
12-6
#3: Duke (2-1 head to head)
#4: FSU (2-2 head to head)
#5: ND (1-2 head to head)
11-7
#6: UVA (1 -1 head to head; 1-1 vs UNC)
#7: VA Poly (1-1 head to head; 0-1 vs UNC)

crut

Helluva Engineer
Our seeding in ACCT is now simple. Beat Syracuse and we are #9. Likely opponent on day 2 is Miami. Lose to Syracuse and we're #10, likely day 1 opponent is BC. Day 2 opponent is hard to know (7 seed could likely be UVA or VPI)

ACCT seeds 3-7 are going to be hard to figure out until all the games are done. Too many teams with 6 or 7 losses and the tiebreaker is how you did against all tied teams head-to-head, not individually. UNC is locked in at #1. If Louisville or ND finishes 13-5, they are #2. Then it gets interesting....

Possible scenario #1 (FSU beats Miami, UNC beats Duke, Louisville beats ND, UVA beats Pitt)
12-6
11-7

Possible scenario #2 Everything stays the same, but Duke beats UNC. Every seed from 3 - 7 changes.
12-6
11-7

Not quite that simple yet. If we beat Cuse and Wake wins out, they are the #9. If we lose to Cuse and Wake wins at least 1 of last 2, we are the 11.

Deleted member 2897

[

12-6
11-7

12-6
11-7

Not so crazy possibility #3, a variant of scenario #1. North Carolina beats Duke at home, and Miami beats Florida State. So:
12-6
#3 ND
11-7
#4-#8
FSU (4-1 head to head)
Va Poly (3-3 head to head)
Miami (3-3 head to head)
Duke (3-3 head to head)
UVA (1-4 head to head)

I have no idea how to break all the 3-3s. Someone else can jump in. :)

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
We need to beat Syracuse and win that 8/9 game in the ACCT. Do that and we are probably in, anything less and we are in the NIT. seeding above us makes no difference to me. We probably won't win that 3rd round game no matter what on short rest the way we've been playing, unless it somehow ends up being VT.