ACC Spring Overreactions

CEB

Helluva Engineer

He ain’t lyin’!!!!

There are a whole lot of new names and faces. Beyond that, I can only hope....

Good to see the guys excited and believing in what they’re doing. Get a W or two behind us and who knows... maybe some new fans emerge and some of us curmudgeons crack a smile this fall.

TwinTownTony

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not going to sell Long as a top 25 OC. I'm not even sure you could really make such a list with any certainty.

However, in regards to his move to GT, I do have a bit of a personal theory. ND did not work out because his head coach was a jerk and they could not get along. GT is a P5 job where he knew people on the staff and was comfortable with them. Sure, it's not the level of ND (which is a level I'm sure he'd like to get back to). But, there's something to be said for taking a step up from where you are and knowing you aren't working for another Brian Kelly. Could be that Long is looking at it as a chance to build back toward the top and not be miserable every day at work with a jerk boss.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I'm not going to sell Long as a top 25 OC. I'm not even sure you could really make such a list with any certainty.

However, in regards to his move to GT, I do have a bit of a personal theory. ND did not work out because his head coach was a jerk and they could not get along. GT is a P5 job where he knew people on the staff and was comfortable with them. Sure, it's not the level of ND (which is a level I'm sure he'd like to get back to). But, there's something to be said for taking a step up from where you are and knowing you aren't working for another Brian Kelly. Could be that Long is looking at it as a chance to build back toward the top and not be miserable every day at work with a jerk boss.
Most of the rumors for why Long was fired at ND centered around his relationships with players and other coaches. You can read somewhat about it at https://theathletic.com/1460968/2019/12/15/chip-long-notre-dame-offensive-coordinator-tenure/. Some rumors were that him and the OL coach Jeff Quinn hated each other and couldn't be around each other. Other rumors were that several players on offense were threatening to leave the program if Long was retained. All of the locker room division is what lead to his departure.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
I would say the CBS writer might be right and he might be wrong. I would not place any more importance on his article than this.

slugboy

Staff member
This is just a fun piece on new college football hires. Thought I would include it here since it includes a number of ACC hires.
TIMMY CHANG AT HAWAII !!!!
Car Flying GIF by Airspeeder

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We will be pre-season favorites in 2-3 games.
Western Carolina and Duke are the obvious 2 and then I could see GT being a small fav against UVA at home.
I'll be surprised if GT is favored in any road games as well as Clemson, Ole Miss, and Miami.

If GT overperforms early than it may start to get favored in more games.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Do the prognosticators really think our players are that inferior or that our coaching is that inferior without knowing how all the new ACC coaching staffs will perform. Our recruiting numbers for the last few years would say we should be middle of the pack in talent. Coaching is another matter and there have been changes.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Do the prognosticators really think our players are that inferior or that our coaching is that inferior without knowing how all the new ACC coaching staffs will perform. Our recruiting numbers for the last few years would say we should be middle of the pack in talent. Coaching is another matter and there have been changes.
It’s our OL and DL compared to everyone else’s mostly imo. Yes we have improved our recruiting and our star avg is higher but those two units have not improved

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
We will be pre-season favorites in 2-3 games.
Western Carolina and Duke are the obvious 2 and then I could see GT being a small fav against UVA at home.
I'll be surprised if GT is favored in any road games as well as Clemson, Ole Miss, and Miami.

If GT overperforms early than it may start to get favored in more games.
Hard to believe we beat UVA with Armstrong playing QB if all other units are somewhat equal

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
No, they just predict what happened last year.