ACC Spring Overreactions

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Oof.

But the chasm between the Yellow Jackets and bowl eligibility is too wide to be closed against a schedule this tough.

(Is it possible to put the whole cbs on the list?)

Seth Meyers Yes GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
I will say this (and I liked P-node as a person), our offensive scheming has no where to go but up. Look at this play from the UNC game last year, 6:29 in the video

We run a play with Gibbs to the left. Have the QB and the running back shift to the left, while all of the linemen pull to the right. I may just be ignorant, but shouldn't Gibbs be to the left of Yates and go the right when the play commences? That would allow Yates to read the free defender and give Gibbs additional blockers. Instead, both the QB and RB pretty much get tackled by the defender and kill the play.

slugboy

Staff member
I will say this (and I liked P-node as a person), our offensive scheming has no where to go but up. Look at this play from the UNC game last year, 6:29 in the video

We run a play with Gibbs to the left. Have the QB and the running back shift to the left, while all of the linemen pull to the right. I may just be ignorant, but shouldn't Gibbs be to the left of Yates and go the right when the play commences? That would allow Yates to read the free defender and give Gibbs additional blockers. Instead, both the QB and RB pretty much get tackled by the defender and kill the play.

I feel pretty safe saying that’s not the way Patenaude drew up that play. It’s still a coaching issue because the QB has to call the play correctly and the blocking has to be called correctly. Somehow, all the linemen thought the play was going the opposite direction from everyone else.

Blue&Gold1034

Georgia Tech Fan

This is actually a great play design, just really poor execution. If the end crashes down the QB is to give it and the running back just out runs the end to the edge. If the end comes up field, which it looks like he does, QB is supposed to pull it and follow the pulling blockers leading. With Gibbs and a good o line, this play would kill, but as we all know this past season, that was not the case.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I continue to be shocked about how people in the sports press are looking at Wake. Did they not watch them last year? Are they simply ignoring what they have coming back? Or is it, as I suspect, the expectation that players who were mainly low three stars can't compete with the "loaded" teams in the ACC?

I repeat: I expect them to fight it out with Clemson for Atlantic champ and I won't be surprised if they come out on top. Dave Clawson knows what he is doing.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I continue to be shocked about how people in the sports press are looking at Wake. Did they not watch them last year? Are they simply ignoring what they have coming back? Or is it, as I suspect, the expectation that players who were mainly low three stars can't compete with the "loaded" teams in the ACC?

I repeat: I expect them to fight it out with Clemson for Atlantic champ and I won't be surprised if they come out on top. Dave Clawson knows what he is doing.
Nobody is looking at Wake because they’re not any good, lol. They beat 2 teams who finished the year better than .500 last year: one was Army, who they allowed 56 points to, the other was NC State which was their only good win. When they played Clemson and Pitt is was obvious they weren’t close to being on the same level.

Playing the weakest schedule in the conference and winning a few games because of it does not make a team good. It makes their record good, sure. But there’s no reason Wake should even be considered as a favorite to compete for the ACC title. That’s why your suggestion that GT should just start playing a bunch of cupcakes every year sucks too. A 10-2 record for a P5 team who plays 1/3 of their games against G5 and FCS competition is not impressive. It will not build the fanbase, and it will not garner more respect for the program. You’re seeing it play out right in front of you with Wake. You talk about wanting to do it the way they’re doing, yet you complain when the Wake way isn’t respected. Yeah, probably because it sucks.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Nobody is looking at Wake because they’re not any good, lol. They beat 2 teams who finished the year better than .500 last year: one was Army, who they allowed 56 points to, the other was NC State which was their only good win. When they played Clemson and Pitt is was obvious they weren’t close to being on the same level.

Playing the weakest schedule in the conference and winning a few games because of it does not make a team good. It makes their record good, sure. But there’s no reason Wake should even be considered as a favorite to compete for the ACC title. That’s why your suggestion that GT should just start playing a bunch of cupcakes every year sucks too. A 10-2 record for a P5 team who plays 1/3 of their games against G5 and FCS competition is not impressive. It will not build the fanbase, and it will not garner more respect for the program. You’re seeing it play out right in front of you with Wake. You talk about wanting to do it the way they’re doing, yet you complain when the Wake way isn’t respected. Yeah, probably because it sucks.
Would be great to not be any good like Wake instead of not being any good our way...

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Would be great to not be any good like Wake instead of not being any good our way...
very true but also a bit short sighted. We were Wake or better under Gailey and Johnson but in the era of the 4 team playoffs not really many people care whether you are 3 or 6th in the ACC Coastal or the SEC West or the B10 whatever they call their divisions. It would seen euphoric (momentarily) to get back to the 7 win average under the previous two coaches but that is not sustainable (imo). fans were upset with both at the end of their tenure. Whether that is right or wrong is the topic of another debate but I think we would agree that many people were ready for change near the end of the previous coach's tenure.Some might argue that our perception has been altered by the horror of the last 5-6 years but I think that scarring isn't permanent.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
This is actually a great play design, just really poor execution. If the end crashes down the QB is to give it and the running back just out runs the end to the edge. If the end comes up field, which it looks like he does, QB is supposed to pull it and follow the pulling blockers leading. With Gibbs and a good o line, this play would kill, but as we all know this past season, that was not the case.
Yeah this was a clear pull read that was missed by Yates. It didn't help that the OL got hands on pretty much no one.
Edit: actually I think the OL blocking was mirrored. The LT and LG pull across to the right, leaving defenders unblocked, but we run the option to the left.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
*Sigh*
Completely missed the point. Wake was an above average team last year that played a very below average schedule. What they did last year is an outlier based on outside factors, mostly involving their incredible weak schedule. All my comment was saying is that they are not becoming some elite powerhouse because they won 10 games last year. They should not be favorites to win the ACC Atlantic, much less the whole conference.

If Wake played our schedule last year they might go 6-6. They were absolutely better than us, nobody is denying that, but they’re not even close to competing with Clemson. TTP loves to throw Wake around as an example of what Tech should do, now he’s complaining that Wake isn’t getting any respect. Obviously they aren’t getting any respect, they haven’t earned any. Just the same treatment that GT would get if we went 10-2 playing the school of the blind and dead every OOC game.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
*Sigh*
Completely missed the point. Wake was an above average team last year that played a very below average schedule. What they did last year is an outlier based on outside factors, mostly involving their incredible weak schedule. All my comment was saying is that they are not becoming some elite powerhouse because they won 10 games last year. They should not be favorites to win the ACC Atlantic, much less the whole conference.

If Wake played our schedule last year they might go 6-6. They were absolutely better than us, nobody is denying that, but they’re not even close to competing with Clemson. TTP loves to throw Wake around as an example of what Tech should do, now he’s complaining that Wake isn’t getting any respect. Obviously they aren’t getting any respect, they haven’t earned any. Just the same treatment that GT would get if we went 10-2 playing the school of the blind and dead every OOC game.
You’re right. I’ve missed your point. I’d love to be doing what Wake is doing right now.