ACC Reconstruction

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
1st week will be big. 0-3 expected because of initial ranking but would still reinforce the stereotype, but anything else would help ... a bit

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I think Clemson wins. UGA's weakest link is the secondary, and the only returning starter they had has been banged up all summer camp. Think about that. They are going to face Boyd and Sammy Watkins with 3 new starters, potentially and likely, all 4. Their DB situation is so thin, they were running with walk-ons during their last scrimmage. Kinda remind you of our OL eh?

Also Clemson's D has many, I think 10, returning starters and year two under Brent V should have a big impact. Or atleast I know the Clemson faithful are hoping so facing a UGA offense that might be the best offensive in the NCAA. I exect Gruley, Marshall, Murray and their WR's to have their way with the Clemson's secondary which sucked something awful last year.

I foresee a 45-42 type of game, maybe higher, but in the end because they are playing at Home, I think Clemson wins.

I think Alabama curb stomps VaTech, who in my opinion isn't going to be that good of a team this year, and I think South Carolina beats UNC by 2 touchdowns.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think Clemson wins. UGA's weakest link is the secondary, and the only returning starter they had has been banged up all summer camp. Think about that. They are going to face Boyd and Sammy Watkins with 3 new starters, potentially and likely, all 4. Their DB situation is so thin, they were running with walk-ons during their last scrimmage. Kinda remind you of our OL eh?

Also Clemson's D has many, I think 10, returning starters and year two under Brent V should have a big impact. Or atleast I know the Clemson faithful are hoping so facing a UGA offense that might be the best offensive in the NCAA. I exect Gruley, Marshall, Murray and their WR's to have their way with the Clemson's secondary which sucked something awful last year.

I foresee a 45-42 type of game, maybe higher, but in the end because they are playing at Home, I think Clemson wins.

I think Alabama curb stomps VaTech, who in my opinion isn't going to be that good of a team this year, and I think South Carolina beats UNC by 2 touchdowns.
I just can't trust Clemson's defense against one of the best offenses in the country.

But yeah I think we both agree about what time of game it is going to be. High scoring!!

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck

UGA has a strong defensive line that should pressure Boyd though. Without the time to sit comfortably in the pocket, the DBs don't have to cover that long.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I want all three to win, but reality tells me that only Clemson will keep it close enough to win. I think UNC is a paper tiger, and VT craps the bed at the beginning of every season. They can keep it close for 2 1/2 to 3 quarters and then Alabama will pull away for a comfortable margin of victory. I don't think the talent level is that disparate (except for Alabama/VT), but the SEC tends to win these types of games and the ACC tends to lose them.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
UGA has a strong defensive line that should pressure Boyd though. Without the time to sit comfortably in the pocket, the DBs don't have to cover that long.

I can definitely see that happening. Also the fact that their "speed" rb Bellemy was dismissed from the team doesn't help. Nobody is talking about how the RB's from Clemson are pretty green too

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
USC's offense is nothing special AT ALL....UNC should be able to shut them down IMO.

UNC is talented enough to put 10-17 points on the board and maybe their defense scores 6 as well.

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
VT Bama won't even be close. It's going to be one of those games where the commentators start talking about their hopes and dreams midway through the second quarter. UNC-USC should be closER, but not necessarily close.

I'm really really really really hoping Clemson's offense has a field day on UGA's defense. UGA may have the better offense, but I see their defense as a major weakness. Couple that with their starting kicker being out and probably a couple of other players and you've got a game that Clemson *should* win. That being said, UGA sometimes has a knack for winning games they shouldn't. I'm heartened by their 3-11 record over the past few seasons against top 15 teams though.

I'd say take Clemson by <7, USC by <14, and Bama by >21-- and, we find out that Herbie likes corn dogs, mowed his lawn last weekend, and is afraid of snakes.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
UGA has so much talent on defense...just untested.

They have a beast JUCO DL and tons of 4 star guys with some 5 stars as well. They have more talent on defense than anyone we will face this year.

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
But that's just it. UGA has been laden with 4 star players on both sides of the ball for years. I could be biased but I think UGA tends to do less with more, year-in and year-out. Maybe it's the coaching, maybe it's the team culture. Heck maybe it's the SEC. I'm just saying I don't particularly expect a bunch of young guns to come in and play like last year's defense did.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You are absolutely right gt13. UGA has not done "squat" when it comes to what they should have done. I mean the year we beat them in 08 they had Mathew Stafford (#1 pick),AJ Green (top 5 pick), Knowshon (top 15 pick), mohamed massaquoi (2nd round), 3 or 4 OL that went to the NFL.

The defense was filled with talent too.

But still this defense has gotten better since Todd has taken over and they are improving overall.

They should be the best or top 5 team in offense.

Defense should be top 40 at least but I am guessing 25. Tray Mathews is the real deal and that JUCO DL is going to cause problems.