ACC Preseason Poll 2022

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Georgia Tech picked to win the Coastal by one voter.

Atlantic Division
(First-place votes in parenthesis)

Clemson (111) - 1,080
NC State (44) - 959
Wake Forest (6) - 783
Louisville - 591
Florida State (2) - 509
Boston College (1) - 469
Syracuse - 201

Coastal Division

Miami (98) – 1,036
Pitt (38) - 911
North Carolina (18) - 823
Virginia (6) - 667
Virginia Tech (3) - 592
Georgia Tech (1) - 343
Duke - 220

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
All I can say is, how much it must have sucked being a Miami fan from the early 2000's to now.

Every season starts with hope and predictions of winning it all... Only to end in disappointment.

Agree.

As a closet Miami fan (started when I rooted for them and Schnellenberger to beat big, bad Nebraska in early 80s), it has been brutal to watch both them and Tech mostly stink. Tech exceeded expectations a few seasons, but seems like every year at least one team mauled us, even when we were pretty good. Miami has been underacheiving since Coker was forced out. Randy Shannon was a disaster and then one coach after another come in, going to restore them to glory, only to fail in the same way.

The biggest issue with Canes is the crappy QB play and the lack of any dominant line play that was their calling card in 80s and 90s. They're too quick to hand over reins to a dual-threat QB that can't run or throw well. The last time they were powerful, they had a pocket QB that could sling it. They need to find a top notch passing QB and stop putting too much emphasis on elevating lesser passers due to some running ability. Tech is in need of the same...start finding true passing QBs, if they can run a bit, great, but we haven't had a real passing QB since Godsey. Sims is not good at passing. Good arm, thats it.

Miami DL and OL never better than average ACC and no longer LB-U or RB-U.
Their drop is as stark as Cornhuskers drop from relevance. Staggering how two of the four most consistently NC level programs of the 90s (Florida, Florida State, Miami and Nebraska) have fallen so hard. Florida hasn't exactly been great either, but certainly better than Miami and Nebraska. Florida State was still relevant right up until about 5 years ago and since then, they may be the worst of the bunch.

Last edited:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Agree.

As a closet Miami fan (started when I rooted for them and Schnellenberger to beat big, bad Nebraska in early 80s), it has been brutal to watch both them and Tech mostly stink. Tech exceeded expectations a few seasons, but seems like every year at least one team mauled us, even when we were pretty good. Miami has been underacheiving since Coker was forced out. Randy Shannon was a disaster and then one coach after another come in, going to restore them to glory, only to fail in the same way.

The biggest issue with Canes is the crappy QB play and the lack of any dominant line play that was their calling card in 80s and 90s. They're too quick to hand over reins to a dual-threat QB that can't run or throw well. The last time they were powerful, they had a pocket QB that could sling it. They need to find a top notch passing QB and stop putting too much emphasis on elevating lesser passers due to some running ability. Tech is in need of the same...start finding true passing QBs, if they can run a bit, great, but we haven't had a real passing QB since Godsey. Sims is not good at passing. Good arm, thats it.

Their drop is as stark as Cornhuskers drop from relevance. Staggering how two of the four most consistently NC level programs of the 90s (Florida, Florida State, Miami and Nebraska) have fallen so hard. Florida hasn't exactly been great either, but certainly better than Miami and Nebraska. Florida State was still relevant right up until about 5 years ago and since then, they may be the worst of the bunch.
The thread about Miami is in a different forum. Miami Football discussion goes here -->

This is about GT Football.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Tech picked to win the Coastal by one voter.

Atlantic Division

Clemson (111) - 1,080
NC State (44) - 959
Wake Forest (6) - 783
Louisville - 591
Florida State (2) - 509
Boston College (1) - 469
Syracuse - 201

Coastal Division

Miami (98) – 1,036
Pitt (38) - 911
North Carolina (18) - 823
Virginia (6) - 667
Virginia Tech (3) - 592
Georgia Tech (1) - 343
Duke - 220
The guy that picked us thinks we will beat Duke, Vt, UVA, FSU, and Upset either Pitt, Mia.or UNC ,.

I could drink enough to think this but I live on 10th floor.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
The guy that picked us thinks we will beat Duke, Vt, UVA, FSU, and Upset either Pitt, Mia.or UNC ,.

There are not many who believe Tech shows up this year, so cheers to our one lone voter! To win, the ball will have to really bounce our way, plus, of course, we will need to block, complete passes, tackle, cover receivers, make kicks, recover fumbles, intercept passes, cover punts and kickoffs and a few other football-related skills we haven’t demonstrated much over the past few years. But, hey, it could happen…

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There are not many who believe Tech shows up this year, so cheers to our one lone voter! To win, the ball will have to really bounce our way, plus, of course, we will need to block, complete passes, tackle, cover receivers, make kicks, recover fumbles, intercept passes, cover punts and kickoffs and a few other football-related skills we haven’t demonstrated much over the past few years. But, hey, it could happen…

Stranger things have happened. One quarter I made a B in calculus. True story. I have documentation if you want to see it. :)

JacketFan137

Banned
Agree.

plenty of teams are successful with “running” qbs and plenty of teams are successful with “pocket” guys. one is not better than the other. the key is tailoring the offense to those strengths and then calling plays that put your guy in a position to maximize them. it is never as simple as pocket qb good running qb bad. that is a very outdated take

JacketFan137

Banned
Teams that have just as many or more questions than us. I can dig it
i know the vocal ones on this board cry that we can’t beat anyone but recently we have played competitive games/beat everyone on that list except pittsburgh and they just lost a first round QB that demolished us and their best wr just got paid a few mill to go to usc. all those games are winnable if we can even marginally improve our offense and defense

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

Even if all of that miraculously happened we would be 5-3 in conference which hasn't been good enough to win the coastal in 10 years.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I do think people are being anchored off past failure in lieu of looking forward at potential. I know some of this is self-induced but I think we have the potential to make a big step forward with the new coaches, and if Jeff can harness the talent he has we'll win more games than "the media" at large is calling for.