ACC Power Rankings: Week 12

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
CURRENT RANK # 2

Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

Record: 9-2 overall, 6-2 conference

Previous ranking: 5

The debate over the ACC's second-best team looks to have lost a lot of steam after Georgia Tech thumped Clemson on Saturday. The Yellow Jackets' defense, which struggled so much at times this season, has been exceptional at making the most of its opportunities, creating three more turnovers against the Tigers and returning two for touchdowns.

espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id...kings-week-12-7

hdgtfan

Georgia Tech Fan
This is sad.

I knew Wake was crap this year but this is unbelievable, how in heck does Duke get lucky enough to play these guys?

Talking about ACC disrespect, looks like it is right on with this kind of a team in the conference. Grobe was good, thankfully he did not have much to work with but they have been the dregs of the ACC lately in both football and basketball recently, dayum

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Jim Grobe did amazing things at Wake. They were incredibly stupid to ...encourage.....his departure. If CPJ were to bolt I'd want Grobe's name in the hat.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Jim Grobe did amazing things at Wake. They were incredibly stupid to ...encourage.....his departure. If CPJ were to bolt I'd want Grobe's name in the hat.

Gotta disagree with that last part. Grobe was good for Wake but no way I'd tolerate 4-5 losing seasons in a row with an occasional upset win, then the one good year when everybody's a senior and they peak at 8 wins and a below average bowl. Shiiii, we can sleepwalk into that every year.

flounder

Jolly Good Fellow
I think that link is a fake. Here's the real ESPN ACC power rankings.

1. North Carolina Tarheels: A well rested defense has North Carolina peaking at the right time. As usual, the path to the Coastal Division championship runs through Chapel Hill.

2. Florida State Seminoles: Only placed this high because of their record, it's become increasingly clear that the Seminoles are a team that would be bottom feeders in a more competitive conference. Can you imagine a team winning the SEC while having to rely on a succession of miracle comebacks?

3. Duke Blue Devils: Want to know what makes David Cutcliffe such a special person? Watching Virginia Tech attempt to fake a punt moved him so much that he gave them a pity win.

4. Louisville Cardinals: Louisville has had a successful season, but finishes up with the murderer's row of a dominant Notre Dame and SEC power Kentucky.

5. Virginia Tech Hokies: Has there ever been a better special teams coach than Frank Beamer? His fake punt attempt had everyone at the stadium fooled. Even after the play was over there was still confusion about what had happened. Crafty.

6. Clemson Tigers: Their offense might look poor, but Deshaun Watson is worth 20 points a game to them healthy. You have to figure that even on the sideline with a torn ACL he's worth 14.

7. Miami Hurricanes: Miami's back! Al Golden is building the base of something really special. Expect the national championships to come rolling in any minute now.

8. Wake Forest Demon Deacons: Want to know how effective Wake's high flying aerial attack is? They've only had to run the ball for 341 yards this season. Dominance.

9-13. Syracuse, NC State, Pittsburgh, Virginia: I can't tell these teams apart. No, I literally cannot tell them apart. Can someone give me some kind of color code or something?

14. Georgia Tech: Sure their stats look good, but if you take out the 50 plays in which they've scored a TD on offense, their offense has yet to score a touchdown. Plus, 3600 of their yards have been rushing, which don't count. Unless you're Alabama.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I her ya kg...but you are judging his coaching ability and performance on W-L record at Wake. I submit anything more than 2-10 is a success there. Bowl eligible there is masterful. You think recruiting at Tech is hard?.....

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Great coach but a terrible recruiter. Similar to Mike Riley at Oregon State. Both are guaranteed to be mediocre with maybe a good season every now and then and a few upsets.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
This is the funniest thing I have read in a while. I feel like it literally hurt them to put us #2.

I think that link is a fake. Here's the real ESPN ACC power rankings.

1. North Carolina Tarheels: A well rested defense has North Carolina peaking at the right time. As usual, the path to the Coastal Division championship runs through Chapel Hill.

2. Florida State Seminoles: Only placed this high because of their record, it's become increasingly clear that the Seminoles are a team that would be bottom feeders in a more competitive conference. Can you imagine a team winning the SEC while having to rely on a succession of miracle comebacks?

3. Duke Blue Devils: Want to know what makes David Cutcliffe such a special person? Watching Virginia Tech attempt to fake a punt moved him so much that he gave them a pity win.

4. Louisville Cardinals: Louisville has had a successful season, but finishes up with the murderer's row of a dominant Notre Dame and SEC power Kentucky.

5. Virginia Tech Hokies: Has there ever been a better special teams coach than Frank Beamer? His fake punt attempt had everyone at the stadium fooled. Even after the play was over there was still confusion about what had happened. Crafty.

6. Clemson Tigers: Their offense might look poor, but Deshaun Watson is worth 20 points a game to them healthy. You have to figure that even on the sideline with a torn ACL he's worth 14.

7. Miami Hurricanes: Miami's back! Al Golden is building the base of something really special. Expect the national championships to come rolling in any minute now.

8. Wake Forest Demon Deacons: Want to know how effective Wake's high flying aerial attack is? They've only had to run the ball for 341 yards this season. Dominance.

9-13. Syracuse, NC State, Pittsburgh, Virginia: I can't tell these teams apart. No, I literally cannot tell them apart. Can someone give me some kind of color code or something?

14. Georgia Tech: Sure their stats look good, but if you take out the 50 plays in which they've scored a TD on offense, their offense has yet to score a touchdown. Plus, 3600 of their yards have been rushing, which don't count. Unless you're Alabama.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Duke is number nine in passing yards per game. How does that make sense with "cutleft" being the greatest quarterback coach all-time? It must be that those darn nerds from Georgia Tech hacked the computer and changed the data. Its even more obvious when you also see that they had the top-ranked offense. There is no way that Georgia Tech's high school offense could be a success in today's game, especially when it's being run by some tiny little quarterback. :)