ACC - Odds to Win Conference 2021

I would push back just a bit on your premise. GO'L (w/RF), CG and PJ did wonderful things while here and I certainly am not trying to diminish what they achieved. What I am hoping for is for a coach, who while maybe not known as an offensive guru, can field a more balanced and complete team. In other words, the three coaches I mentioned had glaring weaknesses on one side of the ball and/or ST's. Whether that was through bad hires, schemes, budget constraints or recruiting - or a mixture of these- is (and has been) open to debate. I think a head coach (along with AD support) who can field a competent or better unit in all 3 phases simultaneously can take us to our desired level of play consistently without the need for "genius" level of O or D coordinators. I don't know if GC will become that guy but it's way too early for me anyways to say that he can't.
Funny thing about Tech Football. The last time we had a great stretch was 1950-1956. In fact the last 10 years of Dodd might have gotten him fired today. Chan was our most consistent...7 win Chan with CPJ taking us to the most high points. As a Tech fan, and thinking about this, I just want to get us back to CPJ level with no 3 win seasons. And just maybe one year we have a 1990. Our recruiting restrictions will always be an issue.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I would push back just a bit on your premise. GO'L (w/RF), CG and PJ did wonderful things while here and I certainly am not trying to diminish what they achieved. What I am hoping for is for a coach, who while maybe not known as an offensive guru, can field a more balanced and complete team. In other words, the three coaches I mentioned had glaring weaknesses on one side of the ball and/or ST's. Whether that was through bad hires, schemes, budget constraints or recruiting - or a mixture of these- is (and has been) open to debate. I think a head coach (along with AD support) who can field a competent or better unit in all 3 phases simultaneously can take us to our desired level of play consistently without the need for "genius" level of O or D coordinators. I don't know if GC will become that guy but it's way too early for me anyways to say that he can't.
I think so too. I have my doubts about probable success, but we'll see. As I've said before, Tech coaches normally win 6 - 7 games a year and there's no reason why Collins can't too. The question comes with national rankings and major bowls, something many here seem to expect.

I also question whether we can use normal schemes and succeed. I mentioned O only, but our only really successful D coach in recent memory - Tenuta - was just a far an outlier as Fridge or Paul were on O. Having a successful scheme that allows Tech to recruit players others aren't after is, again imho, more necessary then ever.

But we'll see. Hope you are right.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You are absolutely correct. Every coach has had a blind spot they never addressed. My personal opinion is that by hiring older established coaches they are set in their ways and look at them being hired by GT as proof that their way works. Collins is still building his identity and like all young coaches wants to succeed so I see him willing to try any and everything. Patenaude may be the first test in my theory. But, yes, good programs are built through consistency in all three phases which lead to highly successful years when the defense is very good and the QB is outstanding.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Was that before or after we changed to a 10-game ACC schedule? Was that before or after we had a 3-week hiatus? Was that before or after we lost one of our scheduled games? Last year was a scrimmage year. Nothing should be gleaned from the outcome of last year except that we were a young team learning to get better.
It was well before we got blown out by Clemson. The last game of the year was Pitt. It did not look as though we had benefited from the learning experience.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Well, I assume you mean the absurd performance at the most important position on the field? Well, that’s a bit tough considering they were bringing in a new offense during a COVID year with no Spring. And then you add that the transfer who took all the snaps for first team bailed with a week to go before the season started. And add to that Fromm leaving early which was probably a mistake and the position was tougher than normal - I give Kirby credit for continually hunting talent - bringing in JT on top of Newman turned out to be brilliant - but having JT on scout team the week of the UF game so he didn’t know any of the strategy when your other QBs cratered was bone-headed at best.

In the end there are zero excuses. Saban, Day, Kelly and Swinney had the same COVID year and they found a way (yeah some paths are easier - is what it is). I don’t care about those other issues - maybe it was a perfect storm of bad luck but that’s what you are paid to navigate. Kirby needs to do better.

However, I’m also not one of those idiots who says it’s do or die for Kirby and it’s natty or bust. The talent is there, so the expectations are too. He has UGA with a chance each year - and there are not many teams who can say that every year - so if they don’t get it done this year, keep tweaking and restocking and restacking talent until it all clicks.
This might be the year. Favorable schedule with no Alabama or LSU. Florida losing a rare combination in Trask and the tight end. Auburn starting over. Ditto South Carolina. Tennessee in turmoil. Sets up nicely with abundant talent and riches beyond the wildest dreams of the also rans of the college football world. If not now...when?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Funny thing about Tech Football. The last time we had a great stretch was 1950-1956. In fact the last 10 years of Dodd might have gotten him fired today. Chan was our most consistent...7 win Chan with CPJ taking us to the most high points. As a Tech fan, and thinking about this, I just want to get us back to CPJ level with no 3 win seasons. And just maybe one year we have a 1990. Our recruiting restrictions will always be an issue.
Well, he beat a number one team in Alabama during that span. He beat UGA three years in a row with Lothridge as a runner up Heisman candidate. Good enough to go to the Sun Bowl and beat a Donny Anderson led heavily favored Texas Tech team. Went to the Orange Bowl in 1966 which would not be accomplished until 2014. However, he did come close, real close, to leaving for Texas due to frustrations with the Hill and some subpar recruiting years in the late 1950s. Coaches, even Hall of Fame coaches, go through ups and downs during the course of their careers. Some just go down like Bill Lewis among others but it is hard to stay on top for sure. Even the Bear was griping to Dodd one year that he would win 8, 9, or 10 games and the fans would be bitching about losing a bowl game. Dodd probably consoled him with... IIWII.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
@Heisman's Ghost not sure if you have used it, but the multi quote feature is pretty nice for responding to different messages:
It was well before we got blown out by Clemson. The last game of the year was Pitt. It did not look as though we had benefited from the learning experience.

This might be the year. Favorable schedule with no Alabama or LSU. Florida losing a rare combination in Trask and the tight end. Auburn starting over. Ditto South Carolina. Tennessee in turmoil. Sets up nicely with abundant talent and riches beyond the wildest dreams of the also rans of the college football world. If not now...when?

Well, he beat a number one team in Alabama during that span. He beat UGA three years in a row with Lothridge as a runner up Heisman candidate. Good enough to go to the Sun Bowl and beat a Donny Anderson led heavily favored Texas Tech team. Went to the Orange Bowl in 1966 which would not be accomplished until 2014. However, he did come close, real close, to leaving for Texas due to frustrations with the Hill and some subpar recruiting years in the late 1950s. Coaches, even Hall of Fame coaches, go through ups and downs during the course of their careers. Some just go down like Bill Lewis among others but it is hard to stay on top for sure. Even the Bear was griping to Dodd one year that he would win 8, 9, or 10 games and the fans would be bitching about losing a bowl game. Dodd probably consoled him with... IIWII.