ACC In (sic) the NCAA Tournament

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Bonus baseball
With Virginia’s Super Regional win, O’Connor receives a bonus of $14,583. That amount, obtained by The Daily Progress through a public records request, is one month’s worth of O’Connor’s annual base salary.
O’Connor received a $3,000 bonus for taking ACC Coach of the Year honors last month. He got $4,000 for getting the Cavaliers to an NCAA Regional and $5,000 for a Super Regional.
A national championship would mean a bonus of $21,874, or one and a half month’s salary.
O’Connor’s current contract runs through July 2016.

Does anyone have any info on the perts for our coach??

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Thanks for the link. I have to post this comment on the football site to show how good he makes CPJ look.
"For example: after losing to South Carolina for the 22nd time in 30 tries March 1, Leggett chided reporters, "You guys are the ones who get all excited about all that . I'm proud of our program. Our fans should be proud of our program."

Leggett also told The Post and Courier May 17, when asked about fans angling for change, "The only fans we have are the ones that believe in our program and believe in our team. Those are the only ones I'm ever concerned about."

Hope UVa and Louisville (ACC to be) win today!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, Vandy and Ole Miss are still in it. :mad:

But hopefully UVa takes out Ole Miss in one of the next two games. Tonight's game got stopped due to rain - after the umps blew a dropped tag in the first and called a UVa player back even though he got hit by a pitch (he didn't move out of the way and it was way inside). Whenever they start again it's T3 and UVa has 1st and 2nd with no outs. The way they are going is the umps will probably say the game should start over again - SEC rules.

BTW, let's hope Texas takes out Vandy tomorrow too!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Any idea what the Vandy player did to get suspended by the NCAA? http://www.collegebaseballdaily.com/2014/06/20/vanderbilts-xavier-turner-ruled-ineligible-for-rest-of-season/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed: CollegeBaseballDaily (College Baseball Daily)

As much as I dislike the SEC, I dislike the NCAA more. So I wouldn't be surprised if it's a technicality or on the other hand, typical SEC behavior.

UVa game resumes at 3PM (EST). Not good if UVa goes another game tomorrow since it will give the Vandy / Ole Miss winner an advantage. But the weather is what it is. Hopefully the umps get to see how they screwed UVa on the call out at second. One of the most basic aspects is making sure the defensive player keeps the ball. The ump couldn't see the ball drop, but he didn't watch to make sure the Vandy player had it. If you can get away with it, why not?

Also the home plate ump should rewatch the hit UVa batter. That ball was at least 6 inches inside the batters box...... total BS and SEC call.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
The suspension does give Mississippi’s key relievers a day to rest, and I expect lefthander Wyatt Short (pitching change) will be a key to this game for Ole Miss. UVa will have Josh Sborz on the mound. Funny neither team are going with their aces today.

Even though Texas looked like the better team yesterday. Vandy is a much different team with Carson Fulmer on the mound tonight and could be the difference maker. Still, Texas has been playing some great baseball lately. I like to see Texas win it tonight.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hard to believe with as any great teams that have come out of the ACC that it's been damn near 60 years since the ACC had a National Champ in baseball!

Yup, and UVa has all their pitchers on normal rotation now. I'd like to see UVa just go 2-0.

I was right about the ump. The home plate ump was Kirby - SEC ump. The announcers talked about what a great job he had done on strike zone. But UVa beat Ole Miss and the umps to win. Hope they aren't around for the finals.

FSU - football; UVa - baseball; too bad we weren't in it for basketball -- but Louisville will be ACC this year. Triple Crown sort of!

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Yup, and UVa has all their pitchers on normal rotation now. I'd like to see UVa just go 2-0.

I was right about the ump. The home plate ump was Kirby - SEC ump. The announcers talked about what a great job he had done on strike zone. But UVa beat Ole Miss and the umps to win. Hope they aren't around for the finals.

FSU - football; UVa - baseball; too bad we weren't in it for basketball -- but Louisville will be ACC this year. Triple Crown sort of!

We're getting there.
Some sports a little quicker than others...
It's goes beyond that for me. The people I meet, greet and talk to makes me love my school more from bonding with others from Tech people and other schools in the college world.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, we have the ACC v SEC CWS. Vandy wins in the 10th on a series of Texas miscues.

Let the games begin on Monday! It's time to end the ACC drought.

Again, watching parts of the CWS games, other coaches seem to DH and pinch run a lot more than Hall. Also small ball is alive and well. I've read the 40 page chapter on whether or not to sacrifice in "The Book - Playing the Percentages in Baseball" and will write it up at some point. Many considerations, but basically you consider what the hitters OBP is, how good of a bunter / fast they are and time of the game. You never intentionally should give up an out, but since 15% or so of the bunts result in hits, it's not always bad to bunt.

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
UVA is the better team here. I was actually glad to see vandy win, since Texas would have been coming in with a full head of steam. We will see what happens but it would be ideal for the acc to win baseball and football championships while beating sec teams at "their own games".

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
In the preseason UVa was ranked #1 with ups and downs in their top rankings, Vandy was #11 with ups and downs as well. Both teams are playing good baseball at the right time. These teams have a lot of similarities going into this series. Timely hitting, impressive pitching with clutch bullpen work should make this series exciting to watch. I wouldn't be surprise if it goes to three games with UVa pulling it out. IMO

Been to dang long for the ACC (1955) and Virginia has a great chance to bring home the CWS championship.

Here are some numbers:
Bq063XuCQAAQ561.jpg

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
One last game and UVa can break the drought. I thought the Vandy starter stayed in way too long, but that also could be due to who was available to relieve. Everyone will be available tonight. Go UVa!

I watched some last night but it wasn't compelling enough to stay up for the end -- (4-2) when I went to sleep. Seems there was some controversy with Papi in the ninth when he ran into the 3rd baseman: http://www.collegebaseballdaily.com/2014/06/25/cbd-editorial-the-mike-papi-incident-at-the-cws/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed: CollegeBaseballDaily (College Baseball Daily)

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Bumski :(
Even when Vandy's Norwood jacked one out to left field fence in the 8th, I still thought Virginia was going to win. At least we had a ACC team in the finals. Oh well, maybe next year. We (ACC) gotta win one someday soon I hope.

I will say that this was a very good CWS to watch this year.