ACC Early Entries to NBA

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Players have until April 27 to decide if they want to enter the draft. The NBA's withdrawal deadline is June 16, provided the player has not signed with an agent.

So far -
  • TJ Warren (NC State)
  • Tyler Ennis (Syracuse)
  • Jerami Grant (Syracuse)
  • James Michael McAdoo (UNC)
  • Jabari Parker (Duke)
  • Rodney Hood (Duke)
  • K.J. McDaniels (Clemson)

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
McAdoo ??? Really that guy is not an NBA player, yet.
and what skill set does Jerami Grant have?

Agreed.

McAdoo is an example of someone whose NBA stock slid 10-15 spots/year for each year he decided not to declare. He was at one time seen as a player with huge upside (i.e., top 10, if not 5, pick before he ever set foot on campus at UNC), and now scouts see him as a guy who has nearly reached his ceiling.

Grant's game, or lack thereof, started to get exposed the last few games of the season. He was a fringe lottery pick, and now he's likely late 1st round. His game did take a big step forward from Frosh to Soph year and there are signs that he has a very high ceiling/trajectory based on that and his NBA-ready athleticism. He also has the Grant bloodline (son of Harvey Grant) that might mean something to someone. His selection will be almost entirely on potential (as are most).

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
The NBA has to go to a 2 year rule.
1 and done is killing their league and killing CBB.
These kids are not getting educated on the value of their degrees.
McAdoo should stay and get his degree his NBA career most likely will be brief and that degree would be great leverage for him.
Grant probably the same, he will get drafted completely on potential but again he has no skills, how long will he last?

Chattjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
The NBA has to go to a 2 year rule.
1 and done is killing their league and killing CBB.
These kids are not getting educated on the value of their degrees.
McAdoo should stay and get his degree his NBA career most likely will be brief and that degree would be great leverage for him.
Grant probably the same, he will get drafted completely on potential but again he has no skills, how long will he last?

I would really like to see the baseball rule put into place for basketball. There is no reason that a kid shouldn't be allowed to go pro straight out of high school if they choose.

I'm actually surprised that more kids haven't gone the D-League route straight from high school. The only restriction there is an age limit of 18 and they wouldn't be eligible in their first season to be called up to an NBA team. However, it would allow them to get paid to play, as well as play under coaches that are at least a little familiar with the NBA game. Several D-League head coaches are former NBA assistants. And many of the teams are affiliated with one or more NBA teams that try to implement systems similar to their own. The schedule is also longer than college but shorter than the NBA, so it would allow a bit of a learning curve before making the jump to an 82 game schedule.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I would really like to see the baseball rule put into place for basketball. There is no reason that a kid shouldn't be allowed to go pro straight out of high school if they choose.

I'm actually surprised that more kids haven't gone the D-League route straight from high school. The only restriction there is an age limit of 18 and they wouldn't be eligible in their first season to be called up to an NBA team. However, it would allow them to get paid to play, as well as play under coaches that are at least a little familiar with the NBA game. Several D-League head coaches are former NBA assistants. And many of the teams are affiliated with one or more NBA teams that try to implement systems similar to their own. The schedule is also longer than college but shorter than the NBA, so it would allow a bit of a learning curve before making the jump to an 82 game schedule.

I'm curious to see the money DLeaguers are actually paid. Isn't it something like $30,000 or so? I could be totally wrong. I also think there's still an anti-DLeague stigma. Plus IIRC, the 3-4 guys who've actually gone that route haven't panned out at all.

I do agree though that the baseball method would be better. That and NBA GM's gotta stop drafting on potential alone (funny, right?). No way McAdoo or Grant should be taken 1st round. No way.

Chattjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm curious to see the money DLeaguers are actually paid. Isn't it something like $30,000 or so? I could be totally wrong. I also think there's still an anti-DLeague stigma. Plus IIRC, the 3-4 guys who've actually gone that route haven't panned out at all.

I do agree though that the baseball method would be better. That and NBA GM's gotta stop drafting on potential alone (funny, right?). No way McAdoo or Grant should be taken 1st round. No way.

I think you're right about the salary. I was speaking more to the guys that would be sure-fire one-and-done guys in college (ie. Wiggins, Parker, etc.) using the D League. The money they would get playing wouldn't be much, but they would also be able to go ahead and sign endorsement deals that they can't have while in college.

But you're right about the few that have tried it so far not panning out. The only guy I can think of that has gone pro straight out of high school in the last decade (non-NBA) and it worked out in his favor is Bradon Jennings. IIRC, he played in an Italian league for a year before being drafted.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think you're right about the salary. I was speaking more to the guys that would be sure-fire one-and-done guys in college (ie. Wiggins, Parker, etc.) using the D League. The money they would get playing wouldn't be much, but they would also be able to go ahead and sign endorsement deals that they can't have while in college.

But you're right about the few that have tried it so far not panning out. The only guy I can think of that has gone pro straight out of high school in the last decade (non-NBA) and it worked out in his favor is Bradon Jennings. IIRC, he played in an Italian league for a year before being drafted.

There are about 3 that I vaguely remember doing it after not being able to qualify academically but I can't remember their names. The kid who committed to Seton Hall last year (5'4" PG, nicknamed CrimeStopper or STTE) just tried and last I heard he was unsuccessfully trying to lobby to for enough attention to get drafted in the upcoming draft. Funny all I can remember is his nickname and the fact that he impregnated some 20+-something yo chick while in HS.

@franklinjacket if I see either one of those guys in a Hawks uni I might run onto the court during one of their summer league games, take the jersey and throw it in a trash can. At least it may be of some use that way.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Jerimi Grant I heard could end up in the high tens in the draft. McAdoo haven't read anything.
To be honest the only players I feel the Hawks should take is KJ McDaniels I would be thoroughly pleased with that pick up, he would be an immediate upgrade over what they have now.

Chattjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Jerimi Grant I heard could end up in the high tens in the draft. McAdoo haven't read anything.
To be honest the only players I feel the Hawks should take is KJ McDaniels I would be thoroughly pleased with that pick up, he would be an immediate upgrade over what they have now.

I wouldn't mind seeing them get a guy like TJ Warren. I worry a little about his outside shot, but I think he'll get more open looks once he's in the NBA. I've seen mocks of him going anywhere from 16-25, so he'll probably be available when the Hawks pick. But I do think KJ McDaniels would be a good pick there as well.

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
I haven't watched a lot of UCLA but from what I watched he seems like too much of a project, a very risky project.
Hes a project, but he has the most potential and the Hawks don't need a role player they need a "star". His athleticism is rediculous and he has a good J. Just needs to tighten up his handle a little bit and get stronger. Give him 2-3 years and I think he'll be one of the top players from this class.