ACC Discussion

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Goodman: ACC proves it was overrated
"The league isn't very tough," one ACC assistant said. "Too much finesse. You have to be tough to win in the NCAA tourney."

"It was overrated," another ACC coach added. "I'll admit it. We won games in November and December, but most of our teams weren't that much better than teams in the other leagues. But we had a ton of résumé wins on the board because of Duke, North Carolina, Louisville and even Virginia -- and that allows the other teams to become overrated."

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think the officiating policy in the ACC is to reduce the physicality of play. As a result, the teams adjust their style of play to that view of the rules. The was very evident in several games in the NCAAT, but most obvious last night in the Duke/SC game. The Gamecocks were much more physical than Duke. And it took Tatum out of the game for the most part. The Duke players (including Tatum) kept looking at the refs to call fouls and never really made the adjustment.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the officiating policy in the ACC is to reduce the physicality of play. As a result, the teams adjust their style of play to that view of the rules. The was very evident in several games in the NCAAT, but most obvious last night in the Duke/SC game. The Gamecocks were much more physical than Duke. And it took Tatum out of the game for the most part. The Duke players (including Tatum) kept looking at the refs to call fouls and never really made the adjustment.
But on the flip side Duke had 2 guys fouled out and another handful in foul trouble. If the game was much more physical and allowed to be in the tourney, then why was foul trouble such an issue for Duke last night? Were they simply fouls out of frustration?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
But on the flip side Duke had 2 guys fouled out and another handful in foul trouble. If the game was much more physical and allowed to be in the tourney, then why was foul trouble such an issue for Duke last night? Were they simply fouls out of frustration?
It would help Duke to play more than seven guys.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
They average around 18 personal fouls per game on the season. Last night they were whistled for 26, with 3 being garbage fouls at the end of the game. So almost 33% more fouls called on Duke last night than what they averaged through the season. Was it a more physical game? Maybe. Was it officiated to allow/promote that type of play? Not really.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Read a lot that Duke was the most talented team in the country. Really didn't see much of it...either that, or they didn't take to coaching. Did not see one guy on the level of a Kyrie Irving/Jalil Okafor/Jabari Parker. Some might turn out to be really good players, but none of the freshmen lived up to the hype and that's what hurt Duke.

UNC can still salvage some respect points for the ACC. At the end of the day, if UNC wins the tournament, who remembers that the ACC stunk it up 2-3 years from now? At that point, GT will have reeled off a couple of Final Fours and won a Natty to salvage the ACC's basketball reputation. :)

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
The ACC just doesn't have any complete teams. You either had teams with great offense and no defense or teams with no offense and good defense. Louisville and UNC seemed to be the only 2 teams that can play both ways and Louisville just got caught playing a team that sucked up Reggie Miller's ability Space Jam style.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
GT has a real opportunity to jump up to the top of the conference over the next few years. Old coaches past their prime, who may not leave soon, could really drag down Duke and Louisville. It is already happening at Syracuse. Roy seems to still be on his game but we all fade at some point. How many years does Larranaga have left?

Bennett is young but needs to change the "strangle yourself to death" offensive strategy at some point. Hamilton is just a recruiter.

The Techs are looking like they could be in the mix for a while.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
GT has a real opportunity to jump up to the top of the conference over the next few years. Old coaches past their prime, who may not leave soon, could really drag down Duke and Louisville. It is already happening at Syracuse. Roy seems to still be on his game but we all fade at some point. How many years does Larranaga have left?

Bennett is young but needs to change the "strangle yourself to death" offensive strategy at some point. Hamilton is just a recruiter.

Agree.

If the staff can land the elite guys we've they've targeted for 2018-2019, and maybe pull one last big name in 2017, GT could be one of the teams to carry the ACC banner. Another thing we need to consider in tandem with recruiting: Keeping our staff intact. Reveno, Labarrie, and Hardy are all well respected coaches for several reasons, and with success comes other coaches from other teams trying to poach. It's a blessing and a curse, but having success comes with a price.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Read a lot that Duke was the most talented team in the country. Really didn't see much of it...either that, or they didn't take to coaching. Did not see one guy on the level of a Kyrie Irving/Jalil Okafor/Jabari Parker. Some might turn out to be really good players, but none of the freshmen lived up to the hype and that's what hurt Duke.

UNC can still salvage some respect points for the ACC. At the end of the day, if UNC wins the tournament, who remembers that the ACC stunk it up 2-3 years from now? At that point, GT will have reeled off a couple of Final Fours and won a Natty to salvage the ACC's basketball reputation. :)
They definitely had trouble putting all of the pieces together this year. I think Kennard and Tatum are two of the most talented scorers in the country, but neither play great defense. Also, I think the lack of a true PG (think Tyus Jones) hurt them in the tourney.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

I agree with everything you wrote except the "s" on that "Techs". There's a Tech and a PI.

I'm curious to see when Duke starts to decline a bit (relatively speaking). I think it's coming sooner than they think.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Cuse rant... Boeheim was past his prime in the mid-2000's too, multiple NITs, etc. Then he wasn't. Syracuse has sent a 1st round pick to the NBA 8 of the last 9 years. They've gone to 2 Final Fours in the last 5 years. They are on scholarship and recruiting restrictions now and signed a 5* and 2 4* in the 2016 class. They lost 2 centers to injury and redshirted 1 on a limited roster at the start of this year. They'll be alright.

At least that's what I want to believe. You guys are mean.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Cuse rant... Boeheim was past his prime in the mid-2000's too, multiple NITs, etc. Then he wasn't. Syracuse has sent a 1st round pick to the NBA 8 of the last 9 years. They've gone to 2 Final Fours in the last 5 years. They are on scholarship and recruiting restrictions now and signed a 5* and 2 4* in the 2016 class. They lost 2 centers to injury and redshirted 1 on a limited roster at the start of this year. They'll be alright.

You're either with us, or against us. 'Cuse is a double agent!!!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

wvrr.gif

@Techster give Cuse a break. Them Cuse fans are deep in their feelings since "Hop" left.

That said, he makes some decent points. Bayhime has continued to win at a decent clip despite the game having passed him by.

I'd venture to say players collective lower bbiq has brought the game back to him with the system he runs. It's probably really difficult to get guys to learn how to not just jack up bad long 2's vs that zone.