ACC Discussion

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
UVA is almost a BB version of our FB program. Very methodical and boring to watch but always seem to be in the game. They don't score much which keeps other teams close and there are fewer possessions in a game.

I get that their possessions take 28 seconds, but getting to say "You got got" to the opposing team every time after you score on them at a high percentage... personally, I've never found that to be boring.

I've never understood why excellent execution is boring because it's slowed down and wins games.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I get that their possessions take 28 seconds, but getting to say "You got got" to the opposing team every time after you score on them at a high percentage... personally, I've never found that to be boring.

I've never understood why excellent execution is boring because it's slowed down and wins games.
Not knocking success but not nearly as entertaining as a Duke or even UK types with athletic plays at the rim . UVA is really good on Defense but very methodical on O. Not too much fun to watch games in the 50's.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
UVA is almost a BB version of our FB program. Very methodical and boring to watch but always seem to be in the game. They don't score much which keeps other teams close and there are fewer possessions in a game.

The exception being that UVA plays shut-down defense, and our football team does not. At least not yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
On the topic of UVA, how do we get our fans to start going nuts when the Jackets force the opponent to hold onto the ball for the last 10 seconds of the playclock? It’s the coolest thing about seeing a game at JPJ. I noticed the bench getting into it when the shot clock hit 10 against PVA&M.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
g0lftime said:
Not knocking success but not nearly as entertaining as a Duke or even UK types with athletic plays at the rim . UVA is really good on Defense but very methodical on O. Not too much fun to watch games in the 50's.

They are generally in the high 60's or 70s. And what they do really well is get the ball to players who can make a play/shot in a position where they can do something with it. Guy and Jerome get downscreens or baseline action that gets them great catch and shoot or drive opportunities. Would it be great to have a little more focus on transition play - yes. But if you don't like getting the ball to your playmakers in the right spots at the right time, I don't know what to say to you.

I desperately want to see us put some of the same kind of structured movement in our offense.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
They are generally in the high 60's or 70s. And what they do really well is get the ball to players who can make a play/shot in a position where they can do something with it. Guy and Jerome get downscreens or baseline action that gets them great catch and shoot or drive opportunities. Would it be great to have a little more focus on transition play - yes. But if you don't like getting the ball to your playmakers in the right spots at the right time, I don't know what to say to you.

I desperately want to see us put some of the same kind of structured movement in our offense.

And the way that Guy and Jerome read the defenders on those screens is a thing of beauty. If the defender fights through, they curl, if he tries to go through the paint to cut off the curl, they fade to the corner. They are so good at it.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
And the way that Guy and Jerome read the defenders on those screens is a thing of beauty. If the defender fights through, they curl, if he tries to go through the paint to cut off the curl, they fade to the corner. They are so good at it.

This.

It sounds so easy when you try to coach kids to do this, but for some reason many don't execute it in game action. Learning how to set an effective screen (screen a man, not a space) and how to read / react using the screen (including how to rub the guy off and not let him stay with you) is a combination of good coaching and court awareness / BBIQ. Guy & Jerome have the latter, big time

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Saw that Elijah Burns is transferring from ND . Team captain Elijah Burns. Mid season. To Siena.

Gotta be a story there, but no one is saying anything yet. @Peacone36 can you get the scoop?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Saw that Elijah Burns is transferring from ND . Team captain Elijah Burns. Mid season. To Siena.

Gotta be a story there, but no one is saying anything yet. @Peacone36 can you get the scoop?

Everyone at Slap the Sign was like “whaaaaaat?!”

There is a draw to Siena for Burns but I can’t remwmber what it is. The theory is he wasn’t happy with his role and Durham was going to overtake him

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Everyone at Slap the Sign was like “whaaaaaat?!”

There is a draw to Siena for Burns but I can’t remwmber what it is. The theory is he wasn’t happy with his role and Durham was going to overtake him

Per .. uh, my sources, it was a connection to the area and his former AAU coach on Siena's staff in particular ...

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/a...urns-expects-seamless-transition-13419745.php
Burns said his connection with the Albany City Rocks program helped his decision. Burns played for the Elite Youth Basketball League team and has known Siena assistant Carmen Maciariello, a former City Rocks coach, since he was 14 years old.