ACC Discussion 2020

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
Anyone watching the VT @ UNC game?

I think it is blatantly obvious who the ACC's darling team is who gets all the calls, and non-calls... It is UNC. The officiating goes in their favor more than any other team in the ACC.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Watching Cuse-duke, Duke is gashing them running but they had a sack fumble returned for a TD. Also a long Cuse bomb is their only offensive points

Deleted member 2897

UNCheat is ripping Virginia A & M a new one.

4 ACC teams ranked in the top 10. Pretty respectable.

slugboy

Staff member
VaTech is a decent team—maybe even pretty good—but UNC is basically scoring 7 on each drive and pummeling them with the run.
VT just did the one thing that will keep them in the game—recover an onside kick. They may need to continue to score and onside it for the rest of the game

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
VaTech is a decent team—maybe even pretty good—but UNC is basically scoring 7 on each drive and pummeling them with the run.
VT just did the one thing that will keep them in the game—recover an onside kick. They may need to continue to score and onside it for the rest of the game
What a momentum shift.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm glad we don't play UNC this year because it is obvious they are the darlings of the ACC, the team the conference is protecting. Horrible no calls against them, the refs obviously are favoring them.

slugboy

Staff member
UNC gashes VT in the middle, and gets to the outside with pitches and flair passes to the RB. UNC’s OL is just crushing VT.
There’s one second left in the game and a VT player shoved UNC’s QB (Sam Howell) down as he was taking a knee and picked up a personal foul.
It was pointless. VT scored 45 and they’re still down 11.

Deleted member 2897

UNC gashes VT in the middle, and gets to the outside with pitches and flair passes to the RB. UNC’s OL is just crushing VT.
There’s one second left in the game and a VT player shoved UNC’s QB (Sam Howell) down as he was taking a knee and picked up a personal foul.
It was pointless. VT scored 45 and they’re still down 11.

Good for Virginia A & M. Who can blame them for being mad.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
At this point, I just hope they are right about Duke. If not, not sure where another win can come from, unless we suddenly start playing fundamentally strong and without errors. I think for us to win again, we need a team to make multiple errors more than us.
Just finished watching Duke and Syracuse on the ACC Condensed Game, I know wasting time but what the hell. Duke is, as always with Cutliffe, solid without being particularly spectacular. Syracuse had a half a dozen chances at turnovers, at least two interceptions dropped and a sack in the backfield with the ball rolling on the ground and Duke came up with it. This is a team we can beat. Sims is better than Brice the quarterback for Duke and they don't have anyone like Gibbs. Their receivers are good, perhaps a shade better than ours but its close. They were 0-4 before the Syracuse game for a reason.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Just finished watching Duke and Syracuse on the ACC Condensed Game, I know wasting time but what the hell. Duke is, as always with Cutliffe, solid without being particularly spectacular. Syracuse had a half a dozen chances at turnovers, at least two interceptions dropped and a sack in the backfield with the ball rolling on the ground and Duke came up with it. This is a team we can beat. Sims is better than Brice the quarterback for Duke and they don't have anyone like Gibbs. Their receivers are good, perhaps a shade better than ours but its close. They were 0-4 before the Syracuse game for a reason.

I agree. If we play mistake free football (or close to it), we still have 2-3 games I believe we can win, including Duke. Before the season started, I said anything above 4 wins was success. I'm not saying 4 wins is failure, but I think that was "par" starting the season.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Duke had 4 turnovers, versus none by Syracuse, and still scored 38 points and won by 14. That is actually kind of impressive.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Duke had 4 turnovers, versus none by Syracuse, and still scored 38 points and won by 14. That is actually kind of impressive.
I think we have played the three worst ACC teams so far and came away 2-1. Every game from here on out will be much harder.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think we have played the three worst ACC teams so far and came away 2-1. Every game from here on out will be much harder.
I agree with this if you mean these next games will be against better teams. But, we seem to be coming around on defense. Having Clayton and Swilling on the field certainly helped. If the offense can continue playing as they have, and not regress into commiting turnovers and penalties, we might be OK.

Clemson, ND and Miami will be tough games. My hope is that we play competitively and not sustain injuries. I am not counting on winning any of these games. I think Miami may not be as good as people thought, but they looked really strong on defense for most of the game last night.

It would be nice to balance those games with wins over BC, Pitt and Duke. If I can get tickets, I will be at the NC State game in Raleigh hoping to get that sixth win.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
It is and they are well coached as always. Syracuse kept running a quarterback draw which had no chance. The ACC continues to be a place where defensive coordinators go to die.
You are being generous. What you saw were QB scrambles and QB sacks. Maybe 2 or 3 QB draws the entire game.

Duke smacked them and only 1 or 2 of those turnovers were forced by the 'Cuse D. Just careless play on a couple of those by Duke. Otherwise they outright dominated en route to 645 yards of offense.

Side note: our loss to Cuse will likely appear worse as the season goes on. Their starting QB, and their only seemingly capable QB, is likely out for the season due to injury sustained yesterday.