ACC Coaches Anonymous

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
"They have some good running backs – they’ll always have that – but overall we felt they had one of the worst offensive lines in the league. There’s just not really an imposing or athletic presence there."

Jesus christ I wish I knew what dumbass this quote came from before the 2014 season. We were mauling people last year.

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
"They have some good running backs – they’ll always have that – but overall we felt they had one of the worst offensive lines in the league. There’s just not really an imposing or athletic presence there."

Jesus christ I wish I knew what dumbass this quote came from before the 2014 season. We were mauling people last year.

We were mauling people. But at the beginning of the season, I don't think anyone thought the line (outside of Shaq) would be as good as it was last year.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck

It sounds like a comment from UM or VPI to me. Two teams that consistently give us issues on the line.

GT18YJjr

Georgia Tech Fan

I would not be surprised if CPJ and/or Sewak put this quote in all of O linemen's lockers during summer camp.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
So much LOL from last year's comments. Paraphrasing, no more WRs and why would WRs go there (cough cough Cutliffe). Also option not sustainable and it's catching up to them.

What a really bad look for Cutcliffe. Who knows which coach said those things to Athlon, but Cutcliffe to my knowledge is the only dumbass active coach in the ACC to voice it in a public forum. In hindsight, it's just makes him look really bad. I always thought there was an unwritten rule you don't criticize your colleagues to the media.

I hope we hang 70+ on them this year.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
I would not be surprised if CPJ and/or Sewak put this quote in all of O linemen's lockers during summer camp.
Alot of our fans said the same thing. Let's face it, playing hard and fast and angry is something that doesn't come natural to everyone. Relative to other teams and other d-lines, our offensive line had not performed with a mean streak for several years. One of the biggest transformations of the team last year was the desire to crush the other team, not to just block but to destroy. That type of effort feeds off of itself. We saw this with our DB's last year as the year went on, and we saw this significantly with Synjn Days.

I'm not sure who is responsible for that mindset changing, but that is the guy on staff that needs to get a big raise. We have good enough athletes - it's the fire and determination that makes the difference between 7 wins and 11.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Alot of our fans said the same thing. Let's face it, playing hard and fast and angry is something that doesn't come natural to everyone. Relative to other teams and other d-lines, our offensive line had not performed with a mean streak for several years. One of the biggest transformations of the team last year was the desire to crush the other team, not to just block but to destroy. That type of effort feeds off of itself. We saw this with our DB's last year as the year went on, and we saw this significantly with Synjn Days.

I'm not sure who is responsible for that mindset changing, but that is the guy on staff that needs to get a big raise. We have good enough athletes - it's the fire and determination that makes the difference between 7 wins and 11.
The team chemistry and desire to win and not give up was amazing last year. There seemed to be changes in blocking technique to me, both line and perimeter, not falling to the ground as much. Our tackling improved greatly. I hope all these things translate to this year with improvement due to experience and new talent.
Blocking and tackling are still what makes a football team click. Also seemed that defensive film study was being absorbed more effectively.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

In 2013 we didn't start Joe. Burden. Big, Big differences year over year. Finch was not big...played at 265 mid year in 2013 due to many factors (sickness being one). Joe was a huge upgrade that improved through 2014. Chamberlain played a ton better too....so it was more than mindset changing. Talented BIG OL started playing better and maturing...

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
What a really bad look for Cutcliffe. Who knows which coach said those things to Athlon, but Cutcliffe to my knowledge is the only dumbass active coach in the ACC to voice it in a public forum. In hindsight, it's just makes him look really bad. I always thought there was an unwritten rule you don't criticize your colleagues to the media.

I hope we hang 70+ on them this year.
Agree on all counts. I was shocked by Cutcliffe's remarks. I honestly thought he was more professional than that. Now I want to see Tech set offensive records against Duke this year. I want it to be an historic beating.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Agree on all counts. I was shocked by Cutcliffe's remarks. I honestly thought he was more professional than that. Now I want to see Tech set offensive records against Duke this year. I want it to be an historic beating.

I think this is a pretty universal sentiment by our fan base. We need the D on board in order to put the whupping on them that they deserve.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I agree here, but it's nearly impossible for us to ever set offensive records against anyone. That Cumberland game really screwed us up!

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
In 2013 we didn't start Joe. Burden. Big, Big differences year over year. Finch was not big...played at 265 mid year in 2013 due to many factors (sickness being one). Joe was a huge upgrade that improved through 2014. Chamberlain played a ton better too....so it was more than mindset changing. Talented BIG OL started playing better and maturing...

Experience is so huge on the line. Chamberlain was a huge improvement year over year, and his play made life easier across the entire line.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The constant on the Oline last year was Shaq. Everyone else improved more and more as the season wore on. By year's end they were as strong as any unit in the country. Bodes well for this year.