ACC Coach Rankings

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Obviously when you recruit high end talent people naturally think you don’t need to coach well. Think back 8 days, we had Duke on the ropes and what happened? K puts Jones on Devoe at the 93 foot mark. Subtle, small adjustment with huge results. The talent helps but like pieces on a chess board you gotta know where to put them. You don’t win 1100 games by accodent
Agree but on that same note, UNC came out and kicked out *** at home from tipoff. Are we saying Roy is that much worse a coach because he had good guys prepared earlier? I'm certainly not saying Coach K can't coach. I think at this day and time, Bennett and Mack are better but I'd probably put K and Roy #3 and #4. Just curious why everyone thinks K is coaching circles around Roy because I don't see it happening.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Agree but on that same note, UNC came out and kicked out *** at home from tipoff. Are we saying Roy is that much worse a coach because he had good guys prepared earlier? I'm certainly not saying Coach K can't coach. I think at this day and time, Bennett and Mack are better but I'd probably put K and Roy #3 and #4. Just curious why everyone thinks K is coaching circles around Roy because I don't see it happening.

That’s interesting. I’ll throw this out. Is it possible that with superior talent, might Coach K be a tremendous practice coach who imprints his values and mentality on his team and his players know what he expects? Because I think that is exactly the the case.

Mack and Bennett are more active but hell they are also 30 years younger.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Most people called coaches don't recruit. Can we stop the nonsense that recruiting is part of coaching?

It is part of major NCAA coaching jobs, but there are other factors that affect recruiting besides the head coach.

For years, on the football side, I said that Richt wasn't that great a coach based on what he did with his talent, only to hear that he's a 10 win coach, and recruiting is part of coaching. Well, we all saw what happened when he got to d'oh U.

There's a lot of discussion about shoe money and other money influencing bball recruiting. Does it really make you a better coach when you benefit?

With that being said, Cal and Ratface a bit below do a pretty good job of making superstar individuals into decent team players. I think they are legit top coaches who also recruit well.

I don't think Roy is that good.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Most people called coaches don't recruit. Can we stop the nonsense that recruiting is part of coaching?

It is part of major NCAA coaching jobs, but there are other factors that affect recruiting besides the head coach.

For years, on the football side, I said that Richt wasn't that great a coach based on what he did with his talent, only to hear that he's a 10 win coach, and recruiting is part of coaching. Well, we all saw what happened when he got to d'oh U.

There's a lot of discussion about shoe money and other money influencing bball recruiting. Does it really make you a better coach when you benefit?

With that being said, Cal and Ratface a bit below do a pretty good job of making superstar individuals into decent team players. I think they are legit top coaches who also recruit well.

I don't think Roy is that good.

Head coaches are closers

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Most fans seem to think the primary function of a head coach is as a tactician. This is not correct. The primary function of a head coach is leadership.

Strategy and tactics matter, strategy generally above tactics. Recruiting is important for the obvious point that better players will beat inferior players. However, how much of recruiting is the school versus the coaches? I stated in another thread that we could project recruiting rankings and future records based upon past records probably as well as any other method. The only times that doesn't hold close to correct is with incompetent hires (i.e. Doherty at UNC)

I guess most fans just think leadership is assumed for anyone who gets those jobs. For a counterpoint, may I present Kevin Stallings?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer

I am sorry but where did this nonsense come from. Assistants set things up but head coaches close. Head coaches set systems, set culture and structure a program to be attractive to a recruit or not.

Are there other things beside the head coach - sure. But there is nothing more important than the head coach.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I am sorry but where did this nonsense come from. Assistants set things up but head coaches close. Head coaches set systems, set culture and structure a program to be attractive to a recruit or not.

Are there other things beside the head coach - sure. But there is nothing more important than the head coach.

I didn't say anything that contradicts that. Smdh