ACC Championship Press Conference

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
That was really fun to watch. Everyone sweating bullets over the extension needs to watch this. CPJ makes it very clear that he is who he has shown himself to be his whole career. That is, he is not someone sitting around waiting for the next big offer and chance to go somewhere else. He ain't no Bobby Petrino. Obviously contract negotiations can always not work out for some reason or another but I am not spending the time being nervous or impatient.

Listen to what he has to say about Tech and about the kind of student-athletes he gets to deal with and recruit to Tech. He said they are not really that different from the Naval Academy at all and we all know how much affection he has for that school and players. His last comments were also fantastic where he said how at some places if there is a request for an interview you have to be careful about what players you let talk to the media but here he just says "go pick one."

Look at what Cardale Jones, the freshmen QB for tOSU tweeted: "Why should we have to go to class if we came here to play FOOTBALL, we ain't come to play SCHOOL, classes are POINTLESS." Clearly, since Jones is a freshman he was not recruited by a coaching staff that sells an Ohio State University education, nor a coaching staff that gives a damn about that education or the degrees their recruits will receive.

Watch this press conference, and you can see for yourself that CPJ appreciates what Tech is and it is a great reliever of stress for him as a football coach to know that he can relax and trust his 18-22 year old student-athletes to handle themselves well in public and with the media. Tech has value and attractive qualities as a place to be a head coach.

gtcole

Jolly Good Fellow
Good press conference. Interesting statement that Michael Summers may be the fastest on the team. Liked his comment on the JTs jump pitch. "It was pretty wasn't it?" Says that's what you're supposed to do, make the defenders commit. A lot of good comments on the quality of the players here. Doesn't have to worry about who gives interviews since they all carry themselves well. "Pick one."

lastoption

Georgia Tech Fan
When he was talking about his trust in JT, what was he saying about the possibility that JT could get more play calling responsibility in the future? Did he mean that it is possible that JT could at some point have the freedom to call the plays in certain cases like old school quarterbacks? That would be pretty bad ***.

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow
Good press conference. Interesting statement that Michael Summers may be the fastest on the team.

Coach has a habit of dropping words. He dropped a ton in his post-game interview, you could tell he was amped up and emotional. It made no sense at the time, but after hearing his later press conferences I figured out what he was trying to say.

CPJ might have meant he is the fastest wide receiver on the team or he is the fastest player on the team right now with Snoddy out and JT hampered by the ankle roll.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Coach has a habit of dropping words. He dropped a ton in his post-game interview, you could tell he was amped up and emotional. It made no sense at the time, but after hearing his later press conferences I figured out what he was trying to say.

CPJ might have meant he is the fastest wide receiver on the team or he is the fastest player on the team right now with Snoddy out and JT hampered by the ankle roll.

I may be mistaken but I believe when summers was coming out of HS as a recruit he ran like a 4.3 or 4.2 at a camp. He is supposed to be very fast, but I really havent seen it in action since he hasn't played all that much.

Someone who follows recruiting very closely might be able to verify that, but I remember hearing that he caught some eyes with his speed.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Also, that was a fantastic, honest, down to earth press conference from PJ. If he answered all his pressers like that he would have a lot better image from media members. He didn't dodge any questions and he answered almost everything truthfully with very little "coach speak"

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Also, that was a fantastic, honest, down to earth press conference from PJ. If he answered all his pressers like that he would have a lot better image from media members. He didn't dodge any questions and he answered almost everything truthfully with very little "coach speak"
Again this claim . . . why do you think he has a bad image "from media members"? What evidence do you have to support the claim that the media considers him in a negative light? It is some fans that have a poor image of him from watching his press conferences, but not the media members themselves so far as I can tell.

Or do you consider dumb jerks on sports talk radio to be media members? The only journalist I can think of that could possibly fit your characterization is Schultz but he is an opinion columnist and primarily loves to say CPJ is defensive about his offense (or engage in rank baiting for clicks).

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Again this claim . . . why do you think he has a bad image "from media members"? What evidence do you have to support the claim that the media considers him in a negative light? It is some fans that have a poor image of him from watching his press conferences, but not the media members themselves so far as I can tell.

Or do you consider dumb jerks on sports talk radio to be media members? The only journalist I can think of that could possibly fit your characterization is Schultz but he is an opinion columnist and primarily loves to say CPJ is defensive about his offense (or engage in rank baiting for clicks).

If you watch most of his pressers, he gets agitated very easily and let's too many questions get under his skin. So a lot of his responses are short and sarcastic. He makes poor Ken feel retarded everytime he asks him something which is why ken sounds nervous asking him any questions.

I understand as a human being it is difficult to be asked things you don't want to answer or repeated questions can get old, but that is part of the job in being an NCAA head coach is dealing with the media.

But in that presser he came off very geniuine and approachable, if not likeable. That's why that interview seemed so different and ran so well. But that has not been the case most of the time is what I'm saying.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
If you watch most of his pressers, he gets agitated very easily and let's too many questions get under his skin. So a lot of his responses are short and sarcastic. He makes poor Ken feel retarded everytime he asks him something which is why ken sounds nervous asking him any questions.

I understand as a human being it is difficult to be asked things you don't want to answer or repeated questions can get old, but that is part of the job in being an NCAA head coach is dealing with the media.

But in that presser he came off very geniuine and approachable, if not likeable. That's why that interview seemed so different and ran so well. But that has not been the case most of the time is what I'm saying.
Notice that this is YOUR interpretation of CPJ and not proof at all about how members of the press perceive him. You are proving my point. I am arguing with your contention that the press has a "bad image" of him. You do, not them.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

he doesn't suffer fool (basically everyone in Alanta media) lightly, they irritate the crap out of him

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Notice that this is YOUR interpretation of CPJ and not proof at all about how members of the press perceive him. You are proving my point. I am arguing with your contention that the press has a "bad image" of him. You do, not them.

I'm not sure I understand what point you are trying to make. My statement was based off of the articles they write, interviews they have, statements they make on radio, blogs, etc. When i say media I'm referring to Atlanta media because that's who discusses/covers tech/PJ on a regular basis.

My "opinion" as you state is based off of what I see from them, not how I feel personally about PJ. I like PJ, I really enjoy having him as our coach. So I don't dont get your reaction of I don't like PJ. You can look at any of my posts and see I have never said bad things about him.

So agree to disagree, bud.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure I understand what point you are trying to make. My statement was based off of the articles they write, interviews they have, statements they make on radio, blogs, etc. When i say media I'm referring to Atlanta media because that's who discusses/covers tech/PJ on a regular basis.

My "opinion" as you state is based off of what I see from them, not how I feel personally about PJ. I like PJ, I really enjoy having him as our coach. So I don't dont get your reaction of I don't like PJ. You can look at any of my posts and see I have never said bad things about him.

So agree to disagree, bud.
So what articles have you read from the Atlanta media that portrays CPJ in a bad light? I can only think of one guy who has ever liked to do that in any form and it is Schultz. I already addressed that above.