Academic All-ACC

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
After seeing this, if my children were still young I would consider calling Mr. Braun and asking him if he and his wife would raise them for me! Obviously their family is one of excellence. Kudos to all four. The exceptional effort required by student athletes at Tech is a major reason why I will cheer for them even when wins are rare. They simply deserve to be commended for their effort.

After seeing this, if my children were still young I would consider calling Mr. Braun and asking him if he and his wife would raise them for me! Obviously their family is one of excellence. Kudos to all four. The exceptional effort required by student athletes at Tech is a major reason why I will cheer for them even when wins are rare. They simply deserve to be commended for their effort.
You may have already answered this question in the past, but if so, I didn't see it. However, I have to ask if you by any chance are the person in your thumbnail pic?

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
No, my dad's boss was a Tech grad (my dad was a Tech fan) and he would take employees, their sons and key customers to one game a year. We would take the Nancy Hanks train from Savannah to Atlanta and a bus from there to the game. It was the highlight of my year. Tech was an almost mythical college in a huge magical city that had a blue rotating restaurant. My dad was a huge Lenny Snow fan, but for whatever reason Bill Eastman was the player I idolize. I still remember watching him take a kick back against Navy. Hence, I use that thumbnail. Never met him personally.

No, my dad's boss was a Tech grad (my dad was a Tech fan) and he would take employees, their sons and key customers to one game a year. We would take the Nancy Hanks train from Savannah to Atlanta and a bus from there to the game. It was the highlight of my year. Tech was an almost mythical college in a huge magical city that had a blue rotating restaurant. My dad was a huge Lenny Snow fan, but for whatever reason Bill Eastman was the player I idolize. I still remember watching him take a kick back against Navy. Hence, I use that thumbnail. Never met him personally.
Thanks. Bill Eastman was one of my favorites from back then too. I had to ask though, because, if you are not aware, the person who posts under the name pinglett is a son of the man whose picture he uses. I actually knew his dad from HS in Augusta and re-met him, as well as pinglett, before one of the games last Fall.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
This is made all the more impressive when you consider that a 3.0 at Tech is significantly tougher than a 3.0 at virtually any other school out there. Good work, boys!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Notice that whenever these all ACC academic teams are announced that Dook always has way more than anyone else in the ACC. They grade way easier than other schools. No way their athletes are that much smarter than so many of the other schools including us.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Notice that whenever these all ACC academic teams are announced that Dook always has way more than anyone else in the ACC. They grade way easier than other schools. No way their athletes are that much smarter than so many of the other schools including us.

Don't look now, but it says BC and Pitt led the way with 6 players.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Dook had 14 next closest had 6. Not just true in fb but all sports. I live near Dook and it is always that way in all sports. They also will have highest grad rates along with the other privates.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Dook had 14 next closest had 6. Not just true in fb but all sports. I live near Dook and it is always that way in all sports. They also will have highest grad rates along with the other privates.
I remember reading years ago something about Duke and many other private colleges. If Mama and Daddy forks out the ridiculous big bucks, then their little dumpling better have good enough grades to get in Med School or Law School. If not there will be hell to pay and the college's financial plan falls apart.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

Dang, you're right. I just checked the ACC press release and the info there is very different from what's on ramblinwreck.com. Why is our site so wrong here? Kinda strange

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
I remember reading years ago something about Duke and many other private colleges. If Mama and Daddy forks out the ridiculous big bucks, then their little dumpling better have good enough grades to get in Med School or Law School. If not there will be hell to pay and the college's financial plan falls apart.

^ I was told exactly this by a student tour guide while accompanying my son on a college visit there two years ago (he didn't choose Duke, fwiw). Additionally, for the same $ reasons, we were told that students are essentially guaranteed to finish in four, which helps their student athletes APR (academic progress) eligibility. As a non-student-athlete, in a "supposedly" easier major, it took me > 4 at Tech.

Throw in the fact that the private universities with FBS football programs that we often recruit against (Duke, Stanford, Notre Dame, et al) can practically do whatever they want wrt admissions and reporting, Tech finds itself at a distinct competitive disadvantage.