About UGA, this year and last

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I have the same worry as everyone else -- how can we stop their offense, and in particular, their running game? And their play action passing if they are able to run well. But weren't we in the same position last year? We looked like the better team for most of that game. Didn't they come within a fluke, last second miracle play of beating the runner up to the national champion last year? Are they that much better on offense this year? Or is our defense that much weaker this year?

I have the same worry as everyone else -- how can we stop their offense, and in particular, their running game? And their play action passing if they are able to run well. But weren't we in the same position last year? We looked like the better team for most of that game. Didn't they come within a fluke, last second miracle play of beating the runner up to the national champion last year? Are they that much better on offense this year? Or is our defense that much weaker this year?
Very hard to tell. This game could be a toss up. Players are going to play harder than they all year which will make it very tough to compare. I hope we don't get run out of the stadium. I wishing for a game that will put GT back in the spotlight again.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
i think last year mason wasn't as good and we also had a very effective pass rush. watts came to play as well and we did a good job of containing gurley.

this year, we have a more limited pass rush from our line and we haven't shown that we can tackle consistently on any level, also our lbs aren't as fast and have had a tough time getting off of blocks. i really hate this match up honestly. We need a game like we played against miami to win this one (though i said the same thing about clemson).

all i want is for us to show up ready, look prepared, and play with passion. to me, that means sound football and big hits.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
keep the pressure on their offense to perform effectively. Control what you can control. If we execute they will not stop us.

I have faith that we will play the run well enough to force some 3rd downs, then it just comes down to execution. I feel good about this team and this game. I think it's a better matchup than most, and UGA has more to lose.

Very hard to tell. This game could be a toss up. Players are going to play harder than they all year which will make it very tough to compare. I hope we don't get run out of the stadium. I wishing for a game that will put GT back in the spotlight again.
Sorry if my grammer sucks. Trying to type off of my iPhone 6 is tougher than I thought.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Their offense is better this year. Particularly, their offensive line. Chubb and Gurley are good but the reason they have run all over people this year is because their line is pushing people around. I'm not completely sure how we can counteract this or even if it's possible. Roof has quite the task ahead.

Tempest_12

Jolly Good Fellow
Their offense is better this year. Particularly, their offensive line. Chubb and Gurley are good but the reason they have run all over people this year is because their line is pushing people around. I'm not completely sure how we can counteract this or even if it's possible. Roof has quite the task ahead.

Girlie is out for the year. So we just have to worry about the freshman. I feel like this is going to be very similar to last year. Feel like we stand a good chance of slowing down their run game in the first half while they're going to be getting 7-8 YPC in the second half. I expect them to run the freshman a bit in the beginning then switch to his backup and bring him out again in the second half to tear us up. I don't expect them to throw a lot as good as their run game is. Might be a "He holds the ball last wins" type of game.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'd agree about the D concerns if it wasn't for how we've been playing for the last four weeks.

That has been pretty good, in fact. The pass rush has picked up with more blitzes and we've been pretty effective against the run all year. I don't see that much difference between the matchup this year and last year - true, Mason is better, but JT is a real upgrade on Vad and the reason they won last year is on the sideline. I think a Miami-type effort wins this one. Chubb will get over 100 and Mason will be effective. Sooooo … keep them on the sideline with long drives and get 4 stops. That's quite feasible, imho.

But will it happen? All I can say for certain is that I wish this game was at Grant Field.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
We all know the best chance we have to win is to play like we did against Miami. Hold the ball, extend drives and play enough D to flip the field a few times.

My worry is...can we actually do that on O? If we get stuffed like we did against Clempson it's going to turn out like it did for Auburn.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
All I can say for certain is that I wish this game was at Grant Field.
3 of our last 4 wins in the series have been at the cesspool. I'd rather see the game at our house but beating the inbred fleabags in front of their inbred fleabag fans is kind of nice too.

I'm having a lot of trouble figuring this game out. I don't like the look of it on paper but I think our quarterback is much better at managing the offense than Mason. I suspect UGa will get a boatload of yards but somehow, I don't see them scoring in the 40s against us. I offer no evidence for that - just a hunch. Not sure we are going to break the low 30s either - not without a pick-6. I think we are looking at a 32-28 kind of game with whoever has the ball last winning.

And, as usual, I think we need at least a plus-3 in the turnover margin to win.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
It is going to be a battle. No question. I think if the Defense can come out hot and play with the renewed aggressiveness we have seen in the second half of the season we have a chance at winning this thing. The outlook (IMHO) is tough though. We will most likely have some trouble moving the ball against their front 7, so we will have to be on point in the passing game, and JeT is going to have to have some heroics.

For me the bigger thing is showing continued improvement. I want to win this game, and frankly think it is within our sights, but I really hope we can also continue the momentum of having the Defense improve - and our Offensive Line needs to play with controlled aggression for us to be in this thing.

Go Jackets!

3 of our last 4 wins in the series have been at the cesspool. I'd rather see the game at our house but beating the inbred fleabags in front of their inbred fleabag fans is kind of nice too.

I'm having a lot of trouble figuring this game out. I don't like the look of it on paper but I think our quarterback is much better at managing the offense than Mason. I suspect UGa will get a boatload of yards but somehow, I don't see them scoring in the 40s against us. I offer no evidence for that - just a hunch. Not sure we are going to break the low 30s either - not without a pick-6. I think we are looking at a 32-28 kind of game with whoever has the ball last winning.

And, as usual, I think we need at least a plus-3 in the turnover margin to win.
In our limited number of wins since Dodd retired, we have won 2 more times in Athens than we have in Atlanta.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck

Our offense is better this year. Particularly, our offensive line. Laskey and Days are good but the reason they have run all over people this year is because our line is pushing people around. I'm not completely sure how they can counteract this or even if it's possible. Pruitt has quite the task ahead.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Our offense is better this year. Particularly, our offensive line. Laskey and Days are good but the reason they have run all over people this year is because our line is pushing people around. I'm not completely sure how they can counteract this or even if it's possible. Pruitt has quite the task ahead.
I completely agree. The OP was asking about UGA though and their differences from last year to this year. My personal opinion is they are getting better OL play. Their defense is certainly going to have their hands full with us.