About Justin and Vad

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
I think we are lucky to have had two high-character leaders in Justin and Vad.

Justin seems to be a lot more suited to our offense with similar leadership qualities as Vad. I think Vad also deserves credit for not continuing in a mismatch position and enabling the current success by seeking out a better match.

It could have been difficult and/or controversial to pick between the two looking only at 2013 data. Especially during our early season struggles this year. I am glad Vad prevented that with his initiative and let Justin grow into the leader role from day 1 without controversy.

Gotta give it to the coaches to have recruited these two highly-rated guys, and it has finally worked out for us.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I think we are lucky to have had two high-character leaders in Justin and Vad.

Justin seems to be a lot more suited to our offense with similar leadership qualities as Vad. I think Vad also deserves credit for not continuing in a mismatch position and enabling the current success by seeking out a better match.

It could have been difficult and/or controversial to pick between the two looking only at 2013 data. Especially during our early season struggles this year. I am glad Vad prevented that with his initiative and let Justin grow into the leader role from day 1 without controversy.

Gotta give it to the coaches to have recruited these two highly-rated guys, and it has finally worked out for us.
Honestly, this seems like all that needs to be said on the subject. Maybe only adding in that Tech seems to overall have "done right" by both of them. The coaches talked Vad through his initial freshman year homseickness and concerns. They had his back and tried to encourage him to be all he could be in the program. All's well that ends well.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
Honestly, this seems like all that needs to be said on the subject. Maybe only adding in that Tech seems to overall have "done right" by both of them. The coaches talked Vad through his initial freshman year homseickness and concerns. They had his back and tried to encourage him to be all he could be in the program. All's well that ends well.
Yeah, I was just feeling fortunate after seeing all the QB/leader woes at Florida, and the early season controversy Clemson went through with their QB position. Two schools with supposedly extremely highly-rated QB options. Then there are disasters like Brewer at VT.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
True. Vad did spare the program that in retrospect. I just meant that from the vantage point of looking at our program that I am also glad the coaches don't manufacture an end to a possible QB controversy. No sudden "you are now permanently injured and can't play, so here is a medical redshirt" or running a kid off in other ways. I think the coaches would have let Vad and Thomas decide it on the field (practice and games) even if it meant a "controversy" type hard decision needed to be made by them. That it actually played out in a manner that works out best for all parties due to the decision Vad made to bow out is definitely a nice result though, I agree.

I do suspect that CPJ is probably not going to recruit many more QBs going forward who he thinks may need to have help by tweaking the offense into pistol or shotgun sets though. I have no problem that he was willing to try and do that though. (stubborn my eye).

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I wanted vad to be the man. He just wasn't a fit in our offense. He is a smart guy. He would not have finished his career here as the starter . It was a good move for he and GT. Wish him the best always.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
True. Vad did spare the program that in retrospect. I just meant that from the vantage point of looking at our program that I am also glad the coaches don't manufacture an end to a possible QB controversy. No sudden "you are now permanently injured and can't play, so here is a medical redshirt" or running a kid off in other ways. I think the coaches would have let Vad and Thomas decide it on the field (practice and games) even if it meant a "controversy" type hard decision needed to be made by them. That it actually played out in a manner that works out best for all parties due to the decision Vad made to bow out is definitely a nice result though, I agree.

I do suspect that CPJ is probably not going to recruit many more QBs going forward who he thinks may need to have help by tweaking the offense into pistol or shotgun sets though. I have no problem that he was willing to try and do that though. (stubborn my eye).
I think this was all about pj taking advantage of a players skill set not about helping someone. This kid was talented! I would love to see us do those things but you can't if you can't run your base offense. JT may do some of those things in year 2 and 3 . Who knows.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I have always thought that Vad did ok for a first year starter. True, he didn't buy into the O, but he came very, very close to being outstanding. After the heartbreaking loss to Ugag last year, I thought we would see something similar this year: about a 50/50 mix of running and passing and a whole lot of points. And I bet that's what would have happened.

I doubt we'd be 5-0 today, however. With Justin we have the QB we've always needed to make the O hum and make it truly dangerous. Opposing teams must look at him with intense concern when they consider that he'll be running the O for two more years and that we have a really good recruiting class lined up to help him. If I knew anything about the ABs we have coming in, I'd be having heartburn thinking about them teaming up with JT.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
He's got a 119 rating right now at James Madison. He's already rushed for more yards this season then he did last season, with a long of 76. The kids talented, I wish him the best.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Vad seems to be doing fine;

http://www.troyrecord.com/sports/20141005/ualbany-loses-to-james-madison-on-controversial-ending

But this quote caught my eye;
"But James Madison would not go quietly and quarterback Vad Lee, who finished with 124 yards on the ground and another 177 in the air, was the thorn, and the legs, that simply would not go away, orchestrating both of his team’s comeback drives, including the set-up for the game-winning kick.
“That is our offense,” JMU coach Everett Withers said of Lee’s performance. “We want to run the football. We can’t do the other stuff unless we can run the football.”"

Like he left here to do the exact same thing he could have done here. Can't help but think he may be kicking himself..

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Like he left here to do the exact same thing he could have done here. Can't help but think he may be kicking himself..

my $.02 and take it FWIW...Vad left Tech because the offense was not a good fit. I get that. But noticed that when he left, he dropped down a level in competition. It's been my experience that people who seek easier paths through life aren't succesful. He could have left and gone to Auburn or Oregon because they run things more suitable to him. But he didn't. Imo you can guage people by the choices that they make. And most take the path of least resistance. I like the kid. but i don't think he the wherewithal to be a D1 QB. For the record, neither did I. Doesn't make either of us a bad person so don't read more into this than what I have typed.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
my $.02 and take it FWIW...Vad left Tech because the offense was not a good fit. I get that. But noticed that when he left, he dropped down a level in competition. It's been my experience that people who seek easier paths through life aren't succesful. He could have left and gone to Auburn or Oregon because they run things more suitable to him. But he didn't. Imo you can guage people by the choices that they make. And most take the path of least resistance. I like the kid. but i don't think he the wherewithal to be a D1 QB. For the record, neither did I. Doesn't make either of us a bad person so don't read more into this than what I have typed.

He dropped down a level so he didn't have to sit a year. Speculation of course is he has a deal with coach Cut for next season. I think it had little if anything to do with looking for an easier path.