ABacks

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I am counting on Snoddy returning to full form but I just had a concern for some rather obvious reasons. The recovery time for a runner with a broken leg is roughly the following in most cases: 3 months of no stress on the leg. 5-6 months of gradual training to get back up to full speed again. And then another period of everything from adjusting to full contact to getting the finer running motions down.

If all goes well he should be ready by the start of the season but this is not a piece of cake.

slugboy

Staff member
I am not a doctor and I do not want to speculate in any shape or form about Snoddy's actual injury or condition. However, I will say this, I have seen other athletes come back just fine after a tib-fib. It can happen and does happen. In fact, those are far more preferrable to ankle breaks and the like.
Mike Vick came back and didn't seem to be hampered.

A little data to start:
  • Bostic 22 carries at 6.1 YPA (Past years: 16/7.3; 34/6.2; 13/9.8)
  • Deon 34 carries at 6.8 YPA ( 13/9.2; 6/6.7; 1/5)
  • Charles 49 carries at 9.0 YPA (13/8.8)
  • Zenon 45 carries at 6.5 (14/2.5; 31/6.2; 15/5,7)
  • Snoddy 28 carries at 10.1 YPA (24/6.3)
  • Dennis 16 carries at 6.6 YPA (12/11.7)
  • Isaiah 2 carries at 9.0 YPA (2/11)
  • Days 2013 27 carries at 3.4 YPA
  • Godhigh 2013/2012 (79/9.4; 54/7.9)

To start at A back you have to show either you are game changer at running or you are a good blocker. Game changer at running and no blocking skills will negate you to play specific calls. Great blocking skills will get you on the starter list faster than being a "good" runner (example Days in 2013 before he broke out at BB in 2014). If the ABack makes the block, then the other Aback should have an open field to run.

People overlooked Godhigh because of his height and speed. Godhigh got his start because he could block first and then added carries as his run ability was proven. The blocking got him 54 carries in 2012 and his blocking and running got him 79 carries in 2013.

I wish I had play participated data as the A back probably only gets the ball 33% of the time showing that he needs to block 66% of the time.

You cannot take away the checks or the option by having a good runner bad blocker constantly in as ABack. The QB needs to feel confident that he can go either way and follow the option sequence.

Every year the players grow, they improve, and they get better. I fully expect to see Snoddy and Andrews play a lot of snaps. I expect Isaiah to get into the rotation. Lynch and a freshman or two will also get some time.

One thing is for sure. If you can't block, you will limit your play time substantially. If you will not block, then....
My first comment is that those are pretty gaudy numbers in the per carry category.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Went back to the Clemson Game. Snoddy started! He also had one heck of a awesome run 2nd Q 11:43 for about 50 yards!

Almost all plays with Snoddy, Snoddy was the pitch Aback except one that may have been a triple option but could have been a dive. This could be pure coincidence and the luck of the draw. No blocking for this game to analyze.

Do you know what I see when I see that run, I see a track star playing football. Snoddy still has trouble seeing/reading the field and knowing where his blockers are downfield. He had Smelter with great leverage on the corner, if he had cut outside at the 40, it would have been an easy td.

He's fast as hell, though, and has become tough to tackle. I'll take those two things all day and twice on Saturday. I hope he improves his vision/field awareness, though.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I believe it was a fracture of multiple bones, not a compound fracture which would be a broken bone sticking through skin.
Correct, my doc wife corrected me on this point.

com·pound frac·ture
noun
  1. an injury in which a broken bone pierces the skin, causing a risk of infection.