ABacks

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A little data to start:
  • Bostic 22 carries at 6.1 YPA (Past years: 16/7.3; 34/6.2; 13/9.8)
  • Deon 34 carries at 6.8 YPA ( 13/9.2; 6/6.7; 1/5)
  • Charles 49 carries at 9.0 YPA (13/8.8)
  • Zenon 45 carries at 6.5 (14/2.5; 31/6.2; 15/5,7)
  • Snoddy 28 carries at 10.1 YPA (24/6.3)
  • Dennis 16 carries at 6.6 YPA (12/11.7)
  • Isaiah 2 carries at 9.0 YPA (2/11)
  • Days 2013 27 carries at 3.4 YPA
  • Godhigh 2013/2012 (79/9.4; 54/7.9)

To start at A back you have to show either you are game changer at running or you are a good blocker. Game changer at running and no blocking skills will negate you to play specific calls. Great blocking skills will get you on the starter list faster than being a "good" runner (example Days in 2013 before he broke out at BB in 2014). If the ABack makes the block, then the other Aback should have an open field to run.

People overlooked Godhigh because of his height and speed. Godhigh got his start because he could block first and then added carries as his run ability was proven. The blocking got him 54 carries in 2012 and his blocking and running got him 79 carries in 2013.

I wish I had play participated data as the A back probably only gets the ball 33% of the time showing that he needs to block 66% of the time.

You cannot take away the checks or the option by having a good runner bad blocker constantly in as ABack. The QB needs to feel confident that he can go either way and follow the option sequence.

Every year the players grow, they improve, and they get better. I fully expect to see Snoddy and Andrews play a lot of snaps. I expect Isaiah to get into the rotation. Lynch and a freshman or two will also get some time.

One thing is for sure. If you can't block, you will limit your play time substantially. If you will not block, then....

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I really don't have information or vines of Snoddy's blocking. He sure did have some great runs! That Pitt run was amazing as he went through so much contact.

Andrews really had some fantastic blocks in the last few games. I know earlier in the season the word was he was missing some blocking skills (or blocking assignment?). He sure did improve as the season progressed and laid some serious blows.

I expect Snoddy to improve his blocking as well and look forward to him dropping a few defenders. We sure could use him on the field every play. Blocking skills will increase the chance he is on the field, being on the field increases the chance he gets the ball, and we have seen that he is a TD threat.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
2 years ago, it looked like Andrews was going to be the next big playmaking AB with the ball in his hands - judging from the few runs he made in the Spring and the season. So, he's got that ability too. He and Snoddy should definitely bring some things to the table in that regard. I was very glad to see Andrews taking ownership of the blocking task last year too.

Another aspect that will factor in is ability in the passing game. Orwin and Godhigh excelled there as well as their other jobs. Hill, Bostic, and Zenon were good in this area. Perkins wasn't a major target but wasn't inept either. Andrews looks the part - ie a fluid athlete (but he did miss a big one in the ugag game, although so did Bostic). Snoddy is reported to struggle especically in this area, but he may improve. No clue about Willis. Lynch would probably fit this aspect very well, as would Searcy. Most of our incoming freshman backs showed at least some ability to catch in their highlights. This may be a smaller percentage of what they do (like maybe 10-20%), but it can be a game changing percentage (think Zenon's big 3rd and long catch against Miami, Hill's game winner against GSU, Perkins' big one against Pitt). And, I think it will be a bigger factor this year with the loss of our top WR's.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
A little data to start:
  • Bostic 22 carries at 6.1 YPA (Past years: 16/7.3; 34/6.2; 13/9.8)
  • Deon 34 carries at 6.8 YPA ( 13/9.2; 6/6.7; 1/5)
  • Charles 49 carries at 9.0 YPA (13/8.8)
  • Zenon 45 carries at 6.5 (14/2.5; 31/6.2; 15/5,7)
  • Snoddy 28 carries at 10.1 YPA (24/6.3)
  • Dennis 16 carries at 6.6 YPA (12/11.7)
  • Isaiah 2 carries at 9.0 YPA (2/11)
  • Days 2013 27 carries at 3.4 YPA
  • Godhigh 2013/2012 (79/9.4; 54/7.9)

To start at A back you have to show either you are game changer at running or you are a good blocker. Game changer at running and no blocking skills will negate you to play specific calls. Great blocking skills will get you on the starter list faster than being a "good" runner (example Days in 2013 before he broke out at BB in 2014). If the ABack makes the block, then the other Aback should have an open field to run.

People overlooked Godhigh because of his height and speed. Godhigh got his start because he could block first and then added carries as his run ability was proven. The blocking got him 54 carries in 2012 and his blocking and running got him 79 carries in 2013.

I wish I had play participated data as the A back probably only gets the ball 33% of the time showing that he needs to block 66% of the time.

You cannot take away the checks or the option by having a good runner bad blocker constantly in as ABack. The QB needs to feel confident that he can go either way and follow the option sequence.

Every year the players grow, they improve, and they get better. I fully expect to see Snoddy and Andrews play a lot of snaps. I expect Isaiah to get into the rotation. Lynch and a freshman or two will also get some time.

One thing is for sure. If you can't block, you will limit your play time substantially. If you will not block, then....

Good post. I agree but I have questions I keep asking about Lynch (with no answers). I know he changed from his HS position WR to AB in the Fall of 2014 and then got hurt. I do not know how much time he missed and how he has progressed at AB. We are now bringing in several very talented ABs and some in this forum think we are short numbers at WR. I am wondering if Lynch is competitive at AB or is it time to move him to WR. Any insights?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Good post. I agree but I have questions I keep asking about Lynch (with no answers). I know he changed from his HS position WR to AB in the Fall of 2014 and then got hurt. I do not know how much time he missed and how he has progressed at AB. We are now bringing in several very talented ABs and some in this forum think we are short numbers at WR. I am wondering if Lynch is competitive at AB or is it time to move him to WR. Any insights?

There's not much to tell about Lynch..He was on the scout team this year so he didn't spend time playing A Back all year..I have posted before that he was back from injury and wasn't out too long.

He is not moving to WR...A Back all the way.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
There's not much to tell about Lynch..He was on the scout team this year so he didn't spend time playing A Back all year..I have posted before that he was back from injury and wasn't out too long.

He is not moving to WR...A Back all the way.

Thanks. It sounds like he needs a little more time to develop and I certainly wish him well. I guess with the shortage of ABs for the Spring Game we will get a chance to see him in some action and that may give us some answers about his AB progress. That AB competition in the Fall will be fierce.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
It's a vital position now. When the people we recruited this year get in gear, I expect it to be more prominent. Like Orwin prominent. I wouldn't be at all surprised if our top ground gainer two years down the road is an AB. The speed on offer is too great to not give the ABs more carries.

Problem with this analysis = we have several right good BBs coming in too. Oh, the choices! Oh, the suspense!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
How was Snoddy's blocking? I don't remember hearing much about it before he got hurt. His game against Pitt got me real excited about him.
The acid test was answered when he started getting playing time. He began closing on and decking people, and got on the field.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Went back to the Clemson Game. Snoddy started! He also had one heck of a awesome run 2nd Q 11:43 for about 50 yards!

Almost all plays with Snoddy, Snoddy was the pitch Aback except one that may have been a triple option but could have been a dive. This could be pure coincidence and the luck of the draw. No blocking for this game to analyze.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Went back to the Clemson Game. Snoddy started! He also had one heck of a awesome run 2nd Q 11:43 for about 50 yards!

Almost all plays with Snoddy, Snoddy was the pitch Aback except one that may have been a triple option but could have been a dive. This could be pure coincidence and the luck of the draw. No blocking for this game to analyze.

Great run, that. I really want to believe he will comeback this year at full speed, but a compound fracture? I don't know. I admit I'm too lazy to research tape but I suspect it was the luck of the draw, or the defensive count at the time. I do recall him flattening some guys.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I really don't have information or vines of Snoddy's blocking. He sure did have some great runs! That Pitt run was amazing as he went through so much contact.

Andrews really had some fantastic blocks in the last few games. I know earlier in the season the word was he was missing some blocking skills (or blocking assignment?). He sure did improve as the season progressed and laid some serious blows.

I expect Snoddy to improve his blocking as well and look forward to him dropping a few defenders. We sure could use him on the field every play. Blocking skills will increase the chance he is on the field, being on the field increases the chance he gets the ball, and we have seen that he is a TD threat.
who is no. 3 who layed out the MSU DB on someone's run to the right in the OB?

dubjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think next year with Snoddy and Andrews we could have two guys who are homerun hitters every time they touch the ball! Has that been the case with 2 guys like this in the past few years?

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
OK, looked through NC State game (one before Clemson). Snoddy started the game. He was always the pitch Aback except one play. There were no blocks to analyze. This was one of his runs in the NC State game. Please note the Burden and Shack domination!

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
One thing is for sure... when I am wrong I am wrong. You can start without blocking if you can change the game with your running skills. Looks like I am uninformed : )

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Something I haven't seen mentioned is what happens if Willis makes the 2 deep out of spring? It seems to be a consensus that he will be in the 2 deep, if not starting next year. It has been said numerous times in the recruiting forum that we are full, but will make room for Vic. We also have a good shot at getting Stewart as a PWO who would receive the next available scholarship. Where does that leave Willis? If I'm not mistaken, he is not on scholarship now. I know we usually have attrition, but what happens if we don't?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Something I haven't seen mentioned is what happens if Willis makes the 2 deep out of spring? It seems to be a consensus that he will be in the 2 deep, if not starting next year. It has been said numerous times in the recruiting forum that we are full, but will make room for Vic. We also have a good shot at getting Stewart as a PWO who would receive the next available scholarship. Where does that leave Willis? If I'm not mistaken, he is not on scholarship now. I know we usually have attrition, but what happens if we don't?

I will be surprised if he cracks the two deep.